5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-31 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 5 years ago

As others have mentioned, Star Trek would probably be my first choice for someone in your shoes. It is easy and fun to shoot, has relatively safe shots, and has plenty to do. It is easy for beginners to make something cool happen (Vengeance multiball, choice of modes to start in, etc), but with lots of depth to grow into. Spider-Man and AC/DC are both similar in this regard, with slightly less forgiving shots.

Metallica is another great machine, and since you said you are a fan of the band, it could be the obvious choice. It is less forgiving than the others I mentioned, but isn't overly brutal. Again it has some very easy to understand and achievable excitement (Sparky!), with MANY layers of depth to uncover as you get better. There is tons to do, with many ways to approach the game. Every shot is meaningful, building towards something. Great layout, awesome art, and amazing code. If you enjoy the music, that's the icing on the cake.

The others you mentioned are also great games. I love Batman, but it's really a game where you need to love the theme to get excited by it. It does have a fun and safe shooting playfield with TONS of depth. I would say it is not quite as beginner friendly as there is a little more required to get to the exciting stuff and it isn't quite as easy to understand. Great game once you get to know it though.

Star Wars is an amazing game, but it is unfortunately not very beginner friendly. It has a punishing layout and is not very intuitive. Once you figure out what to do it is awesome, but it is definitely lacking that beginner friendly layer. If you stick with it though, it is one of the most rewarding experiences in pinball if you are a fan of the theme.

Deadpool is a little early to tell yet. I like what I see and enjoyed the one quick game I've been able to play on it. It seems beginner friendly with easy to understand goals and an easy multiball. Beautiful machine with lots of humor and unique shots. I worry there may not be enough depth to keep the better players satisfied long term, but that isn't a huge concern. What is there looks very fun.

Iron Maiden is a great, unique layout with tons to do, but for some reason I am not attracted to owning one. I enjoy playing it though! Probably not super beginner friendly.

GOTG is a great game. I do not have enough time on it yet, but I have found it to be fairly difficult and unforgiving playfield (might have just been me or the machine being set-up difficult though). The multiballs are easy and intuitive to get into though, and it starts you in a mode of your choice (like ST), so it is easy to see something cool right away. Lots of depth to play through as you get better.

Ghostbusters is terrible. OK...that's just my opinion, but barring that, it is a very difficult and punishing game. Not beginner friendly at all. This would be my last possible choice for many reasons.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/difficulty-of-various-sterns?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.