(Topic ID: 116677)

Difficult place to pick up a pin

By ShinyBall

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Went to pick up a pin the other night. When I got there, we had to go down to the basement. We went down the steps and around the corner into his game room. He had about 5 pins and a few arcades..Nice collection. But, I looked around and thought, How did he get them in here. Those steps were very narrow and steep with a small landing with a 180 turn with more steps and railings all the way. No way... Must be another door with steps going outside in another room...No.
    I asked, "how do you get your pins in and out of here?"
    He had a larger window (ceiling high down) just big enough to fit a folded up pin to slide out.
    He does this all the time.. I have a system. (he says)
    After we take off the legs, and fold it up and shrinkwrap it.
    He pulls out the window.
    My friends had to slide and push the pin up a ramp to shoulder high, level it and slide it out side to another waiting guy helping from outside, to slide onto a sheet of plywood.It just makes it through the opening..there were 4 of them. They stand it on end, with a waiting 2 wheeler.
    But, It doesn't end there. they are now in the back yard. They have to get it around the side of the house and to the front where my truck is in the driveway.
    There wasn't one section of that side yard that was flat. The entire yard on the side of the house was angled from the house down.
    Also dealing with some snow that was left over from a path that he made prior to us coming over with his snow blower (basically very slippery grass)
    One guy pulling..one guy pushing..2 guys on one side making sure it don't tip cause of the angle of the yard. That side yard was about 40 feet of just plain hell. they were golden after that.
    Scarrrry..
    Yeah...I really wanted this pin.

#2 9 years ago

Good story. It just goes to show that if 'ya really want 'em, 'ya gotta go get 'em! No matter what!

#3 9 years ago

Classic! No good story aboot your machines if you just buy them in a box from a store

#4 9 years ago

Wow.......ok, I'll stop bitching about my situation from now on

#5 9 years ago

Nice ! All for the love of the steel ball

Wonder if the guy gets a nib what he will do

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Nice ! All for the love of the steel ball
    Wonder if the guy gets a nib what he will do

He did have a New AC/DC LE. That he bought NIB
    The ramp he used had a very slippery plastic over wood, so it wouldn't scrape up the bottom of the cab. Kind of like carpet slider material. he laid the pin on a beach towel and placed it on the ramp.
    No damage that way to bottom edges of cab. Hardest part of that was lifting it over the frame of the window. (hardly a inch of space) Worked without any damage.

#7 9 years ago

My old house had basement access through a tight 180 degree turn into a 90 degree turn with a door that opened in the wrong direction to block the stairs - the previous owner had remodeled the basement and back entrance/garage/patio area and turned a storm-cellar type entrance into what they thought was classier and managed to make it nearly impossible to get anything in or out.

When we moved in, there was a bunch of furniture (couches, large shelves, etc.) and a huge stereo system in the basement that they tried to sell us because there was no way to get them out of there after the remodel. It was actually a pretty nice finished basement. No way you'd get a pin down there though.

Solution: Move to Texas. There are no basements in Texas.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Solution: Move to Texas. There are no basements in Texas.

Sounds horrible.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds horrible.

Yeah, I miss basements. It is easier to get things in and out though!

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Yeah, I miss basements. It is easier to get things in and out though!

No doubt aboot that, unless you're lucky enough to have the fabled "walk out basement." Dare to dream!

#11 9 years ago

When my games were in the house that's how I used to get pins in and out of my basement was through a 3' x 3' window. Had to pull the window from the frame. Getting them in was easy. Getting them out, not so much.

I once lifted a game up and out by myself (years ago and I don't remember why I didn't have someone help me); but I was sore for three days. I swore never again.

Now all my games are in a separate building with a 9' garage door. Easy in, easy out.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

When my games were in the house that's how I used to get pins in and out of my basement was through a 3' x 3' window. Had to pull the window from the frame. Getting them in was easy. Getting them out, not so much.
    I once lifted a game up and out by myself (years ago and I don't remember why I didn't have someone help me); but I was sore for three days. I swore never again.
    Now all my games are in a separate building with a 9' garage door. Easy in, easy out.

Ahh..another one of you guys with the 3' x 3' window.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I will ask.."is it a EZ out ?"

Not really. Unlock. Lift the bottom sash about 1/4 of the way, grab the top and pull hard forward EVENLY. Twist it and you break the glass. Then lift the left side and remove the bottom sash from the track. Repeat process for the top sash. Remove screen.

Repeat the process to reinstall; but make sure the pins on the window go back in the plastic sliders in the track. The tracks got so messed up from the window pins breaking stuff that after about the 8th machine they didn't work well.

Machines are in a different location and that windows has been replaced.

#14 9 years ago

A few years ago I went to a guys house to buy a pin, I think it was a Grand Lizard. Went into the house and down into a nicely finished basement. The game was next to an inner door that he said led to the bulkhead door. No problem, I have the same set up at my house so I'm use to moving them out. After securing the game for the move, he opened the inner door and then the bulkhead door. What he didn't mention was that they had built a massive deck over the bulkhead door! There was no more than 4 or 5 feet clearance from the ground to the deck's joists. We had to duck walk while carrying the pin for about 10 yards over uneven terrain. My back and legs were killing me for days. Now I ask in advance about access before going to look at any pins or vids. Lesson learned.

#15 9 years ago

Handtruck the pin with one person? I once hand trucked a pin down 2 flights of deckstairs with a 90 degree bend and then up the hill to go around his house, which was gravel. With 2 people. It was awesome

#16 9 years ago

Moving pins in and out of some tight locations, removing the head takes 10 minutes and is certainly worth the loss in space and weight!

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I once hand trucked a pin down 2 flights of deckstairs with a 90 degree bend and then up the hill to go around his house, which was gravel. With 2 people. It was awesome

I had a back door exit up a nice sized hill in around 10" of snow once...feels good when it's done.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

A few years ago I went to a guys house to buy a pin, I think it was a Grand Lizard.

Funny, I had a similar story. I went to look at a grand lizard, and I was already in the habit of asking what way will the machine be leaving the house. He responded by saying "I have a bulkhead, but Id bring help if I were you". I replied by saying, No problem, Im used to moving them myself. Turns out there were no stairs in his bulkhead. I ended up pushing it up myself. Wasnt awful, but couldnt have done it without my appliance dolly

I picked up a comet where the only way out was a 3 foot door under a deck. It was a tight fit for me being 6'4"

I picked up an F14 in an old victorian house. It was in an attic. I had everything I needed to move it out. Turns out he didnt want my hand truck in the house on his new floors so I had to carry it down piece by piece 3 stories.

I picked up a hardbody where the guy remodeled his kitchen into a true 17th century kitchen. Turns out he made the basement door about 25 inches. Im still not sure how I got that game out in one piece

I picked up a Black Knight from a hoarders house, game went down in 1990. Husband died in 91, she buried the game down there till 2014. Ended up burring the path out with trash. The only other option was a much smaller exit. I ended up having to snap off the wood on top of the body.

I picked up 2 "free" Ems. They ended being 30 feet up in an automotive shop rafters. I had to slide them down a ladder. My dad and the guy had a rope over a rafter behind me that went through my back three belt buckles.

If you can tell, Ive never said no based on the location of the game.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

I picked up a Black Knight from a hoarders house

Besides living an hour away from each other, we seem to have similar stories. Picked up a Paragon from a lady in RI. Husband's game and he passed away. When he died she became a hoarder. Was just like the TV show, but clean, not dirty and disgusting. Canned goods from floor to ceiling. Her brother in law was there to help me fight to get it out. He told me the background of why she was like that. Sad story. Always wondered what happened to her.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/difficult-place-to-pick-up-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.