7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I believe many resistors in WPC games are Carbon based.

I expect / believe it's ok to replace these with metal oxide resistors. They tend to be smaller, have better tolerances, age better, and keep their resistance more consistently across temperatures.

So other than looking different, any concern with using metal oxide (assuming same rating) that I've missed?

FWIW, I 'm talking about WPC 1993 trough board 270 Ohm 2 watts.

... Altan

#2 7 years ago

The reason carbon were used when the boards were stuffed was the cost. Follow the money, it's all about the money. For replacement, cost is not bad but know when the games were built, the price difference was huge to the board makers. Including WMS'/Williams' Menasha Controls Division.

#4 7 years ago

it's fine to replace them as long as they are same value and same/larger power rating...

metal film resistors are also less prone to catching fire

#5 7 years ago

i dont like metal film resistors because i can't look at them and tell what value they are. they are usually blue background and have more bands. booo

besides that doesnt really matter, specially for 1/4w resistors on a wpc mpu. Resistance value, power rating, and sometimes tolerance is important.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/different-resistors-carbon-film-etc-for-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.