Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago

Is it only column 7 that is having issues when you say the sword lights are not working or is it ALL the lights in the sword (some lights in columns 6, 7 and 8)? What about the other lights in column 6 and 8, do they fade out too?

The SCRs are in the row circuit - seems unlikely they would be the cause of a column issue.

How about replacing IC10? Is it socketed (could be an easy thing to test if it is)? Have you watched pin 16 on IC10 to see if it stops pulsing? Compare it's wave or pulse signature to the other columns? Could be a weak/slow output on the PIA. Is it an AMI chip by chance?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

I've got a scope on 2J5-9 (Column/Strobe 2, works fine) and 2J5-1 (Column/Strobe 7, troubled column) and I can see the waveform change as the Column 7 bulbs fade out.

OK, thanks. So column 2 works normally and the others eventually fade away.

Use your scope to look at the output of IC10 for Column 2 and compare it to column 7 to see if there is a difference before and after fading.

Quoted from pincoder:

IC10 is a Motorola chip, and not socketed so I'm reluctant to change it and drop a new one in without knowing for sure - I don't have many spares and I'm not proficient at 40 pin IC removal without destruction involved.

Sounds like a solid plan. The Motorola PIAs are good in the reliability department whereas the AMI versions fail a lot more frequently. That is the only reason I mentioned it.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

So I went and bought a TXINLEI 8586 2-in-1 soldering station and practiced on an old board before using it to remove IC10 (PIA 3). I got the chip out fine without wrecking the board (haven't tested if the chip survived yet), socketed and installed a new 6821 and the bulb fading has disappeared! Funny though, I didn't notice anything unusual when I had the scope on IC10. I've got a few other things to fix on it and then I'll get back to testing the old 6821 and hopefully I'll be able to come up with a test ROM for it. I'll post the results here.
Thank you all for your help

Congratulations on the fix!

Do yourself a favor and throw away the sponge that came with your soldering iron. Use a metal mesh type cleaner to keep the soldering iron tip clean. You run much less chance of wrecking the tip of your iron using the metal mesh type. https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Iron-Tip-Cleaner-Black/dp/B00J66FSY2/ref=sr_1_11

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/differences-in-hardware-wiring-black-knight-v3-vs-v4?tu=schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.