pasted_image (resized).png
20160821120053056 (resized).jpg
20160821120046942 (resized).jpg
20160821120035223 (resized).jpg
20160821130103169 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

To save on shipping, I typically order parts in batches. It so happens that I ordered some white Williams flipper bats from PBResource and some from pinball life. However, I was surprised to see at how different the bats were from each supplier.

The PBR flipper bat is white, has a satin finish, and the logo is crisp and clear. Pretty much what I would expect to see.

The PinballLife flipper bat is an off-white that looks milky, has a glossy finish, and there is detail loss on the logo. The edges are also not quite as sharp as the PBR flipper, and the surface of the bat is a little uneven (caused by some minor sinking). Not quite what I was expecting to see.

In the photos, the PBR flipper is on the left side, and the PinballLife flipper is on the right side. It is a little tough to capture in a photo, but it's pretty obvious when standing in front of them.

(Yes, I know they playfield is filthy. It is a location pin that has since been cleaned)

20160821130103169 (resized).jpg20160821130103169 (resized).jpg
20160821120035223 (resized).jpg20160821120035223 (resized).jpg
20160821120046942 (resized).jpg20160821120046942 (resized).jpg
20160821120053056 (resized).jpg20160821120053056 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

flipper parts found in rebuild kits are not created equally i have found too.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

flipper parts found in rebuild kits are not created equally i have found too.

I've noticed some minor differences between PBR's and PBL's WPC crank & link assemblies. Not enough to affect functionality from what I can tell, but enough to present a minor visual difference.

PBR:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

PBL:

#4 7 years ago

I bought some black lightning flippers from Marco and they are really nice. Glossy finish except for the logo and lightning. Would these be similar to the PBRs?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I bought some black lightning flippers from Marco and they are really nice. Glossy finish except for the logo and lightning. Would these be similar to the PBRs?

I have no idea. I have not ordered any flippers from marco yet. They tend to be my last stop for anything since they're usually the most expensive.

#7 7 years ago

So I am interpreting this to mean PBR's are "better"?

What does the underside of each bat look like? Any structural differences?

Differences in cost to mitigate the physical differences?

#8 7 years ago

The underside looked pretty much the same, but the PBL had some extra flashing that should normally be trimmed off.

$4.95 from PBL

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3929

$3.85 from PBR

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html

To me, the PBR flipper bats look original, while the PBL bats do not.

#9 7 years ago

I purchased some Data East logo flippers from PBL and same thing. Logo isn't crisp and flashing around the bottom edge. But better than what I took out.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The underside looked pretty much the same, but the PBL had some extra flashing that should normally be trimmed off.
$4.95 from PBL
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3929
$3.85 from PBR
http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html

Wow thanks ForceFlow for the info...cost less and better bats.
Many times I look for the better price, thinking the parts will be the same.
In this case, I would have been fine. But glad to have the info.

#11 7 years ago

Well, Pinball Resource has been in this game a long time, and strive to keep prices affordable that's in their power to do.

#12 7 years ago

I can't tell for sure from the pic, but the one from Pinball Life looks to be the later style (1994-1999) with a larger circle around the "W" and the PBR looks to be the correct narrow circle for T2 era.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jtaudio:

I can't tell for sure from the pic, but the one from Pinball Life looks to be the later style (1994-1999) with a larger circle around the "W" and the PBR looks to be the correct narrow circle for T2 era.

The PBL and PBR bats were the same part number: 20-9250-5

The problem with the logo on the PBL bat is that it is not a crisp mold.

Additionally, here is what Marco carries ($5.25). Notice how crisp the logo is in the product photo.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9250-5

#14 7 years ago

I have about 20 new white ones from Pinball Life, and they look like the ones on the left. I do have a few that look like the one on the right, but I am not sure where they came from. I don't use them since the logo seems way too big. Wonder if they get parts from different vendors at times.

#15 7 years ago

A long time ago Pinball Life sold two varieties of flipper bat: one with the narrow ring around the "W", and one with the larger ring. There are different part numbers for the two varieties, but it sounds like that distinction is being lost.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

A long time ago Pinball Life sold two varieties of flipper bat: one with the narrow ring around the "W", and one with the larger ring. There are different part numbers for the two varieties, but it sounds like that distinction is being lost.

I believe you are correct. Suppliers may be using whatever they have instead of differentiating.

#17 7 years ago

Everyone here loves to give shout outs to Terry at PBL. Just don't worry about these minor differences.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've noticed some minor differences between PBR's and PBL's WPC crank & link assemblies. Not enough to affect functionality from what I can tell, but enough to present a minor visual difference.
PBR:

PBL:

Those would be some minor differences alright. They are the same exact part from the same exact manufacturer.
Terry.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I purchased some Data East logo flippers from PBL and same thing. Logo isn't crisp and flashing around the bottom edge. But better than what I took out.

Please post a picture of the uncrisp logo. All the DE bats we have here are very crisp.
Terry.

#20 7 years ago

Rick from Planetary Pinball in control of all parts with a Williams "W" on them. He owns the rights.

Wms used 2 different logos over the years. Up until No Fear they used a thinner W and it faced one way. The then went to a fatter W and it faced the other way. Local USA vendors made these bats.

The bats we are now buying (and everyone will be buying once their supply runs out) have to flow through Planetary Pinball originally. These bats are not made from the original tooling, and I assume they are not made by the original manufacturer either, but I have no way of knowing this for sure.

We have no control over the quality or the manufacturing source at this point.

Terry.

#21 7 years ago

The other and most important difference between the pbl and pbr flipper bats is that at pbl you can order the parts online, pay, and receive in a couple days while at pbr you have to mail a silly check off and wait for that crap to arrive first.

#22 7 years ago

"silly"? That's a pretty lame swipe at PBR. If you want to support PBL, that's fine...share the positives of that company. Most people are familiar and comfortable writing a check, and you only have to wait for the first order, and sometimes no even then. I don't know what the diffs are, but a check certainly isn't the "most important difference"...

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The other and most important difference between the pbl and pbr flipper bats is that at pbl you can order the parts online, pay, and receive in a couple days while at pbr you have to mail a silly check off and wait for that crap to arrive first.

Actually, you only pre-pay the first time. After that, they send you the parts along with an invoice.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Rick from Planetary Pinball in control of all parts with a Williams "W" on them. He owns the rights.
Wms used 2 different logos over the years. Up until No Fear they used a thinner W and it faced one way. The then went to a fatter W and it faced the other way. Local USA vendors made these bats.
The bats we are now buying (and everyone will be buying once their supply runs out) have to flow through Planetary Pinball originally. These bats are not made from the original tooling, and I assume they are not made by the original manufacturer either, but I have no way of knowing this for sure.
We have no control over the quality or the manufacturing source at this point.
Terry.

Thanks for the details. That's unfortunate news.

#25 7 years ago

There are probably no less than 5 manufacturers of flipper bats - the "W" facing the wrong way is a completely different part #. Some are original tooling and some are new tooling, some were made by IPB, some were made by TPF, etc ... any "W" tooled parts from PBR are used with our permission as well.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Most people are familiar and comfortable writing a check,

Disagree. "Most" people don't even have a checkbook any more. This isn't the 80's. Checks are obsolete replaced by online bill pays and electronic payments. Even employers usually don't write checks anymore. When you open a bank account they use to give you checks. Now those are optional and you walk out with a card. I suppose he wants to *fax* the receipt to us as well.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Disagree. "Most" people don't even have a checkbook any more. This isn't the 80's. Checks are obsolete replaced by online bill pays and electronic payments. Even employers usually don't write checks anymore. When you open a bank account they use to give you checks. Now those are optional and you walk out with a card. I suppose he wants to *fax* the receipt to us as well.

I disagree with you. In this case, you get a money order from your bank/credit union/check cashing store OR electronically have a check mailed from your bank directly to PBR. When I do certain work for clients I expect payment by cash or check. Those without cash on hand either bring it to me within 48 hours, write me a check or, since like you, some are not living in the 1950's-1990's and don't have paper checks. They go to their app or financial institution's website and have a check mailed to me. That works as well.

Otherwise pay more for the product or service as the electronic payment systems charge for their service (they charge the vendor accepting the payment) which gets passed on to you eventually.

I like cash the best. However, for transactions that involve shipping a product, cash does not work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/differences-between-pbresource-pinballlife-williams-flipper-bats and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.