Linked Games

Topic poll

“Medieval Madness Original or Remake”

• Original 63 votes
    52%
  • Remake 59 votes
    48%

(122 votes)

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hello

Sorry if I sound like a noob but I am new to the hobby of pinball and am certainly not an expert on the different games and machines. I might be acquiring a Medieval Madness Machine soon. I was recently informed about a remake made of the machine. Could someone please explain to me if there or any major differences between the games? I am leaning towards the remake due to the availability of getting a new machine.

(Note: This is probably stupid but I am going to add a poll for which machine is better.)

#2 7 years ago

I would recommend you do a search on here. There are plenty of threads that go over this exact topic.

#4 7 years ago

Remake - 19 years newer. Stereo. Shaker motor integrated into the castle explosion. Different color DMD if you add the update than the Colordmd.com one for the original. LCD instead of DMD, you can set the dots to eight different colors.

Same company made the cabinets and playfields for both. Same mechanical assemblies. Different board sets.

Original - you can have the swear ROM, one F**k in there instead of bleeped out.

Better is in the eyes of the beholder. Some people like one or the other. Some people like both.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I do tech support for the remake, just to let you know.

#5 7 years ago

Teekee recommends sending money now. That's all I really remember

All joking aside I have a remake. It's nice, I like it. If I had to do it over again I would have waited for the remakes to ship and bought a original at current market prices. You just can't beat the build quality of originals in my opinion.

#6 7 years ago

I prefer originals but all my best games have been on a remake

I know that doesn't help

#7 7 years ago

Same game just crash the org. price. Boards are different, They plays the same. Just made allot of people mad because they had the game and could price call it. SO, they will say the org. still. Remake guys are glad to own it for less that 17K and enjoy it. It's pretty much just a pissing war. Or better yet the old ladies on here giving their two cents like me. Tomato tomamoto. Of course if you bought the limited edition Wizard of Oz. You feel the same way. You bought into the hype of the limited edition. Then red one came out. Then the 75th anniversary one. I think blue purple, yellow, and Orange probably due out next. Another words it really wasn't an LE. It was a big fat lie. All the great pinball manufacturers are doing it. Milk that cow for all it's worth. And then strip it of its worth and shoot it. Welcome to pinball. Still doesn't beat my favorite thing in pinball. "I would never own a Wheel of Fortune the code was never done". But the same buyer keeps buying Kiss and all the other stern pins that lacks code. They'll never learn... And there's no shot for the disease. At least when Apple puts out code it does suck most of the time (friendly reminder I'm an Apple phone user). But hey at least you get the code.

#8 7 years ago

From an outsider's perspective, I think if I just wanted the game to play, I'd go with the remake. LTG hit the spot on that one. 20 years later, electronics are going to be a hell of a lot better, I'd think. Less fussing about getting the thing working, and it's going to look immaculate: Diamond Plating in the 90s always kinda had a milky look through it. These new clear coats are are like glass.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

These new clear coats are are like glass.

Two coats of clear on the remake. One on the original.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I would recommend you do a search on here. There are plenty of threads that go over this exact topic.

That probably would have been a smart thing to do instead of creating this thread. I didn't not see anything similar to my thread in the duplicate checker while creating it but that was probably just from the way I worded the title.

#12 7 years ago

maffewl Thank you for finding the links for me!

#13 7 years ago

You'll never find the "right answer" to this one. It's like Coke vs Pepsi, AMD vs Intel, Ford vs GM, etc. Lots of opinions, and the answer depends on what your opinion is/what you want.

My opinion is biased because I've worked on hundreds upon hundreds of Bally/Williams games including about 15 original MMs and have never had one that I could not keep it get going 100%. WPC95 especially is reliable and always repairable in the right hands. And yes the remake now has a higher resolution colorized display but an original has the Pinsound option for better audio and customization. I've been working on adding a lot of extra sounds to my MM (so I am super biased), replacing all of Earl of Ego's quotes and adding a lot more colorful speech.

#15 7 years ago

Original for me. Mostly because I can fix the electronics.

#16 7 years ago

I think the remakes are really nice. They play fast and I love the shaker integration.

Original for me just because I'm not a big fan of the look of the LEDs that mimic incandescents. They did a good job doing that, but I prefer brighter non ghosting LEDs that I can customize.

Mike Chesnut used to say the remakes play like a Stern. That always made me laugh, but they do feel different for some reason to me.

#17 7 years ago

they play the same.

the remake has better clearcoat on the playfield and better DMD graphics (if you spring for the color upgrade).

the original has the benefit of 20 years of service, so any and all issues are already well-known and there are solutions available.

the remake is run by a Beaglebone Black, which is a very cheap and easy part to replace. it's not a part that's exclusive to our niche hobby. there are literally millions of them out there, don't let anyone tell you they'll be hard to find down the road. However, it also has a bunch of custom boards that are more of a question mark simply due to the fact that we don't have 20 years of history on them yet. i haven't heard of many technical issues with them so far, though. if for whatever reason the company making them fails, the custom boards could be hard to find years from now.

the remake also comes with a warranty.

in my opinion, there's really only two reasons to go original over the remake:
1) you care about authenticity, or
2) you are worried about the boards on the newer game failing and not being able to replace them years down the road.

edit: 3) you don't like LEDs, or you really want to be able to customize your own LED choices.

#18 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I still am leaning towards the Remake.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

they play the same.
the remake has better clearcoat on the playfield and better DMD graphics (if you spring for the color upgrade).
the original has the benefit of 20 years of service, so any and all issues are already well-known and there are solutions available.
the remake is run by a Beaglebone Black, which is a very cheap and easy part to replace. it's not a part that's exclusive to our niche hobby. there are literally millions of them out there, don't let anyone tell you they'll be hard to find down the road. However, it also has a bunch of custom boards that are more of a question mark simply due to the fact that we don't have 20 years of history on them yet. i haven't heard of many technical issues with them so far, though. if for whatever reason the company making them fails, the custom boards could be hard to find years from now.
the remake also comes with a warranty.
in my opinion, there's really only two reasons to go original over the remake:
1) you care about authenticity, or
2) you are worried about the boards on the newer game failing and not being able to replace them years down the road.
edit: 3) you don't like LEDs, or you really want to be able to customize your own LED choices.

As a side note the original isn't without difficulties in getting parts. More and more of the chips that drive the game are no longer in production. They will dry up over time. The AV board is very tough and getting very expensive when you do find it. These issues will only get worse. The one advantadge that the original has here is that it shares its boards with thousands of other b/w machines. There is a greater chance that someone would take the time to make substitute parts/boards, but that is only an *IF*.

#20 7 years ago

Remake. Who wouldn't want a brand new, out of the box Medieval Madness? Mine plays amazing, and much better than most originals I have played- because it's fresh and hasn't had 10's of thousands of games played on it already.

#21 7 years ago

I prefer original game over emulated game.

#22 7 years ago

Are the boards interchangeable between the two versions?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Are the boards interchangeable between the two versions?

No, completely different

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I prefer original game over emulated game.

Emulated is a stretch. Sure the software is emulated, but the majority of pinball is physical. If someone took two original mm, put them side by side and ran one off new boards and one off original you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. This isn't like arcades which require precise timings. At least then expert level players could tell something was amiss.

#25 7 years ago

Just look at the color display...nuff said....

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

they play the same.

the remake is run by a Beaglebone Black, which is a very cheap and easy part to replace. it's not a part that's exclusive to our niche hobby. there are literally millions of them out there, don't let anyone tell you they'll be hard to find down the road.

the now difficult to come by transistors were made in the billions. The fact there are millions of BB's means nothing.

#27 7 years ago

Huh? Where's the separation?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

This isn't like arcades which require precise timings.

Some people tend to notice these things.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I still am leaning towards the Remake.

Good instincts. People pay insane amounts of money to have their 90s pins restored to "like new" condition. No need on this title since you can buy it new for the same price as an unrestored original. Plus, only the remake has the option for the much, much better 16 bit animations. Plus, the double clear coat and stereo sound Lloyd mentioned. Plus, you get a factory warranty. It's a total no-brainer to me. There's a percentage of guys on here who will say "It's a fake. A knock off." Or "It plays different." Or "I'm more familiar with fixing the original version." They are welcome to feel that way, but I sure don't. It's a fully-licensed remake, not a knock off. It plays different (better) because it's brand new. It will need a lot less fixing than a 20 year-old one, if any, in a home-use setting. I've played several examples of both and will buy the remake when the time is right.

#30 7 years ago

I have had both the original (shopped by Mike Chestnut with board upgrades by his Dad) and now a remake. I understand the remake uses essentially the same style Williams parts. I have never played them side by side....but I do not feel a difference. In my opinion the remake does not feel like a stern (and I own several Sterns) - probably because of different parts. The remake is gorgeous with a nice gloss to the playfield and I have the color upgrade installed. Electronics are simpler in design and mine has not given me one hint of trouble since I have had it.

Several NIB remakes available and I have seen a few HUO remakes for sale at a pretty good bargain as well.

Dive in, the water is fine! Enjoy the game,
Bob

#31 7 years ago

I've had a remake for a year now and love it. No issues. Why buy an old model for more money when you can buy a brand new one for less?

#32 7 years ago

Whats street price for a remake new and used.?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

New ones are 8k. Add aprox. $600 for shaker and colorized display.

A used one sold at auction for about $5500 plus fees last week.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

New ones are 8k. Add aprox. $600 for shaker and colorized display.
A used one sold at auction for about $5500 plus fees last week.

that "plus fees" was probably another $1100, though, right? (20%?)

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It will need a lot less fixing than a 20 year-old one, if any, in a home-use setting.

This is what's really important.

Gentlemen, the OP is asking so that he can inform the Make-a-wish foundation what his wish is going to be--which is to own a pinball machine. All of the "well, the original is better because it's original" conversation here (while certainly has it's place normally) doesn't matter to the OP. He just wants a game that'll play out of the box with the least amount of hassle, I'd imagine.

Here is the original thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pinball-machine-should-i-get

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I haven't really seen owners discounting much on used ones. Most still want $7500-$8000+. I'm waiting until there's enough floating around to drive the used prices down some more.

#37 7 years ago

So it's 7500 used or 8000 new I think I would buy new.... WOW

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

that "plus fees" was probably another $1100, though, right? (20%?)

Something like that. However I can't tell you if it had any issues like the factory defective playfields or anything else because I did not attend that auction.

Edit- At that auction fees are 10% up to $100 plus tax, so this used MMR probably went out the door for between $6k and $6.5k.

#39 7 years ago

Well I held out as long as I could before I bought my MMR last week. I was in on the original LE with gold that in the flyer appeared to be brass plating. Then when PPS revealed the mustard gold color, and stated they could not plate I bowed out. Then there was all of the coin mech bs, etc, etc. Well after all the dust settled and the defects with the LE's were in the past I felt comfortable pulling the trigger on a NIB standard with the stainless trim, I heard the standards were all good. I opened it and it is a thing of beauty, not one defect. It plays flawless and it truly is a classic machine. It turns out to be a really fun family friendly game and it has now become my sons favorite game. Very satisfying to see a four year old destroying the castle.

#40 7 years ago

Does anyone know what the warranty covers? I've heard of the company shipping replacement parts(like a playfield) for a cost though. But after playing so many routed originals. I'm leaning towards a remake as well. Original prices are insane.

#41 7 years ago

I have an mmrle, plays great, as good or better than original and everything is new,.plus I have color.

#43 7 years ago

Not to make this thread already more complicated than it it, but is there any major differences between the Medieval Madness (Remake - LE) and Medieval Madness (Remake - Standard)? I am already guessing price and availability are going to be different.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

but is there any major differences between the #

About 3,000 more MM originals were made.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Not to make this thread already more complicated than it it, but is there any major differences between the Medieval Madness (Remake - LE) and Medieval Madness (Remake - Standard)? I am already guessing price and availability are going to be different.

The MMr LE has shaker, numbered badging on the apron, and 3 choices of trim color options. The LE only was supposed to have a solid wood cabinet bottom but it seems like all MMr have. Lastly I had heard the LE would get an extra coat of clear on the playfield, but like the solid cab bottom I believe they all have the same clear coat.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

The MMr LE has shaker, numbered badging on the apron, and 3 choices of trim color options. The LE only was supposed to have a solid wood bottom but it seems like all MMr have this.

LE was supposed to only have 2 coats of clear coat- but the standard also has the double clear coat. Overall, the standard is a better value all around IMO!

#47 7 years ago

One is a collectible (albeit a little less so since the other was released) and the other one thinks it is.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Overall, the standard is a better value all around IMO!

Agreed, I can live without the shaker and if I would of ordered MMR LE I would of opted for the stainless trim... now if the LE would of included colorization that would of made the LE a no brainer! The other plus for the standard is that all the early issues that plagued the LE and early builds has been corrected from what I understand.

#49 7 years ago

The castle has bluetooth...

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

The castle has bluetooth...

pinballrockstar Great! Can I stream Pandora to it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/differences-between-medieval-madness-and-the-remake?hl=tampa12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.