(Topic ID: 6816)

Differences between black and red flipper rubbers?

By Rascal_H

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Besides color, are there differences between black and red rubbers? Switched out from black to red and now I'm getting some nasty hops from the return to the flipper.

Flipper alignment was my first guess... but it looks good. I'll check it again. Just wondering if black rubbers tend to be a bit thinner.

#2 12 years ago

Oop, sorry. Think I answered my own question. Amazing thing that Google is.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rubber_and_Rubber_Kits

-------

Red flipper rubber is considered to be about 45 durometer and is often preferred over black flipper rubber for this reason. So for Flipper Rubber the scale is White, Yellow, Red and then Black in order from Soft to Hard. White and yellow are considered very close for Flipper rubber performance. The same is true of the 'post sleeves' where yellow is the soft and black is the hard option. Games designers take this into account when placing them on the playfield. There are also colored 'Cliffy' post sleeves available that can make the game look nice and are easy to clean. You need to make your own choice as to how this effects your game, as with most things to do with rubber choice it's a compromise between maintenance, appearance and gameplay.

#3 12 years ago

You doing that to your DM? I swear we keep working on the same projects all the time... Changing to Red Rubber was next on my list

#4 12 years ago

What about blue?

#5 12 years ago

more bounce and faster game play,keep the red rubbers

#6 12 years ago

I have a friend who uses yellow flipper rubbers and the difference is very noticeable-I don't like them at all. It's like having a sponge on the flippers.

#7 12 years ago

I'm picky about flipper rubber. Anything other than red or black is too bouncy for me. I pick either red or black based on how the game plays.

A friend has The Shadow and he was complaining to me about how difficult it was to ball trap compared to my machines. I went over and played it and he was right. He had purple flipper rubber on it. I changed it to red and it made a world of difference.

#8 12 years ago

I asked that question on Rec.Games a couple of months ago and got crucified...

#9 12 years ago

I didn't realize they defined durometer by color, I thought it was just a color scheme for the theme of the playfield

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I didn't realize they defined durometer by color

Neither did I. This is really good info to know.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jay_Allegro:

You doing that to your DM? I swear we keep working on the same projects all the time... Changing to Red Rubber was next on my list []

Yeah, I hate the little hop it's giving me with the red. Makes it really tough to hit my shots. Gonna throw the old blacks back on there to see if the hop is still there. Chances are I have to look into adjusting my flipper angles some more.

#12 12 years ago

I usually go with red unless it just looks out of place. I had red on my DM and then I put the chrome flippers from Terry on it. The black looked so much better with the chrome I had to go with the black. I think the chrome flippers look nice on the DM and it plays fine with the black flipper rubber.

#13 12 years ago

I like to use what came from the factory. It was designed that way.

#14 12 years ago

I changed from black to red on BR and noticed an immediate difference. They are definitely bouncier and cause more spin on the ball. My first thought was "I hate these things" but I have adjusted to them over time and actually appreciate that it makes the game just a bit more challenging.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I asked that question on Rec.Games a couple of months ago and got crucified...

That is why we stay at pinside.
    We all love the game.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

I have a friend who uses yellow flipper rubbers and the difference is very noticeable-I don't like them at all. It's like having a sponge on the flippers.

Had yellow on my Spy Hunter and it sucked. Put on the red and what a better game.

#17 12 years ago

good info, great post!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

throw the old blacks back on

I kinda like the ones that glow in the dark

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I like to use what came from the factory. It was designed that way.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that most are designed and tested using white rubber - but switched to black when they are manufactured due to lower upkeep for operators (?)

#20 12 years ago

On maintainance:

Black lasts longer, but at the expence of dirtying flipperbats and surroundings somewhat more.

On gaming:

Drop catch on reds is a lot more difficult without the ball bouncing down the flipper instead of rolling. Likewise on red, spinning balls giving funny bounce angle is seen to more extreme.

#21 12 years ago

Reds exclusively for me, except for my old Ballys which mostly have yellows. I find the reds seem a bit more sticky and can grab the ball better than the black rubbers.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Reds exclusively for me, except for my old Ballys which mostly have yellows. I find the reds seem a bit more sticky and can grab the ball better than the black rubbers.

I had been like this, however I'm toying with the idea of doing all blacks. I usually like harder, but I find on some games, I just don't like the bounce of reds, and find even learned shots to be somewhat unpredictable where on the same machine with black, a learned shot is dead on accurate.

They are still all red, but I'm subbing here and there to test.

#23 12 years ago

Update.

The black rubbers work MUCH better on DM for me. I have much more control and there's a lot less bounce. I know bounce is good for a lot of games but on this widebody I found the ball was very chaotic. The black are also a bit thinner and don't cause the nasty hop from the return. I can hit shots a lot easier now.

Once you go black...

Quoted from Jay_Allegro:

You doing that to your DM? I swear we keep working on the same projects all the time... Changing to Red Rubber was next on my list []

By all means try it. Seem if you notice the same change in gameplay I did.

#24 12 years ago

If you're getting a bounce as the ball comes down the inlane onto the flipper, the bottom of the return lane isn't level with the surface of the flipper rubber. If you loosen the screws securing the ball guide, there's some play in it, and you should be able to adjust it so it doesn't "hop" when coming down the return lane.

I agree, that if the ball hops when it hits the flipper after coming down the return lane, the game is not playable.

It definitely does depend on the game though, whether red or black is appropriate.
    I've got red flipper rubber on my TZ (and it plays much better than black rubber) and black rubber on my No Fear - and, while I havn't tried reds on it, I don't think i'd want the flipper rubber to be bouncier on that machine - it sends the ball screaming at the flippers a lot - fast enough that even with black rubbers that bouncing it off the flipper sometimes causes it to bounce high enough that it hits the opposite slingshot (usually not hard enough to trigger it, thankfully).

6 months later
    #25 11 years ago

when I got my Dolly Parton it had yellow. I changed it to red and gameplay was so much better. Never thought to try black for less bounce, I always heard to stay away from it because it dirty's the playfield alot. On Dolly Parton it wasn't bad as its a slower game. I am finding on my Swords of Fury that the bounce of the red flipper rubber is more noticable. May be time to switch to black.

#26 11 years ago

Makes sense black flippers less bouncy as compare white and black rubber in the slings.......whie way more bouncy.

I will now try out blue, orange, purple, green etc!!

1 year later
    #27 10 years ago

I Like: Red, Purple, Blue & Green

DO NOT LIKE: BLACK, YELLOW or WHITE!

#28 10 years ago

I replaced the red on AC/DC to black and it helped noticeably in ball control.

#29 10 years ago

I would love to know the durometer values for colors such as purple and green which can make a game pop nicely (color-wise)

I'm also kind of surprised that no company has taken it upon themselves to offer [speciality] flipper and post rubber in a variety of colors, each with a range of durometer values

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from balloukevin:

I replaced the red on AC/DC to black and it helped noticeably in ball control.

Yes I changed the main flipper rubbers on my AC/DC to black too for the same reason. Haven't changed the lower playfield ones yet, does that make any difference to the game down there?

I prefer black flipper rubbers to any other on my games. I once had some orange ones fitted to my MM, and they were so bouncy it made the game far more difficult to play.

#31 10 years ago

*back in the day* they used to make white rubber that was dyed black.

So you had the lively white feel, but the easy to keep clean looking black.

#32 10 years ago

It will be interesting to see how Gene's new clear rubber will play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/differences-between-black-and-red-flipper-rubbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.