(Topic ID: 242258)

Difference between NOS vs Resto Backglass?

By tscottn

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Ive seen posts and have watched videos about people wanting a NOS original BG over say a BG Resto or something new. im wondering can you really tell the difference from looking at it? Are original Backglass just that much better? im sure the quality of the inks and process to creating these pieces of amazing artwork has only gotten better over the course of 20 to 40 years so why would you rather a original? And im also wondering the same thing about the Playfields.. is this all just from a purist prospective? I understand differences when it comes to value between a antique and a recreated part and how it can drive the price down if it is not all original.. but is this really the only factor that comes into play?

#2 4 years ago

don't think the mirrored ones are near as nice as original from what ive read.

#3 4 years ago

They are just not done as well most of the time. Of course, NOS backglasses cost a lot...

It is hard to find older backglasses that have truly zero flaking.

#4 4 years ago

It’s like this. Imagine you are an automobile collector. You can have a 1935 Ford that is all original that rolled out of Henry’s factory that way. Or you can have a restored one done by some person last week. Looking at them you cannot tell them apart. For a certain type of collector the history and provenance is critically important. They would rather having nothing at all than have a reproduction. This is why someone would want an NOS part. In fact they would take an original or nos part in worse condition than a repro due to the provenance. Every field of collectibles has these flavors of types of collectors. Cars. Watches. Video games. Pinballs. Boats. Motorcycles. On and on.

#5 4 years ago

all I can say for example, NOS EATPM vs repo night and day diff. I have them both. Color is much richer Nos. there are posted pics somewhere on pinside showing the diff.

#6 4 years ago

Original backglasses were silk screened, but there could be color variations. The manufacturer say Williams orders 1,000 backglasses from their glass vendor, so they make 1,000. Williams gets more orders from customers for 300 more units. The colors on the two runs might be slightly different.

Cpr does a great job but the colors don’t always match to originals based on the art file that they have or the quality of the original glass that they are replicating. They do use a silk screening technique.

Shay also uses a silk screening technique. Similar potential problems as Cpr.

I believe that homestead aka Ron Webb uses silk screening but not sure. Similar potential problems as Cpr.

Bgresto uses a digital printing technique, not silk screening.

If you are a purist you will look for years for an original backglass. If you want something that is really nice and 99% of players and collectors can’t tell the difference buy a repro from Cpr, Shay or Homestead.

Another option when looking for used it nos backglasses is Mayfair but they tend to be pricy.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I totally get the purist mentality, and applaud those who go to such great lengths to preserve a machine to its highest original form..

one question, if you were choosing a resto backglass, which company/process would you think would produce the closest glass to the original, in quality, colors, look and feel etc... Shay, BG, Homestead or cpr?

#8 4 years ago

Homestead, Cpr and Shay don’t usually make the same titles, unless it’s a few 80s titles that Cpr and Shay might make. If you’re looking for a specific title look to see if any of the above make it, and if not check Bgresto

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Homestead, Cpr and Shay don’t usually make the same titles, unless it’s a few 80s titles that Cpr and Shay might make. If you’re looking for a specific title look to see if any of the above make it, and if not check Bgresto

Thanks, Looking for one for my SkyJump. Would love a NOS , but I doubt I will ever find one.. The one I have is actually pretty good condition.. but as I near the end of my restore, a 100% perfect BG does sound nice.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

It’s like this. Imagine you are an automobile collector. You can have a 1935 Ford that is all original that rolled out of Henry’s factory that way. Or you can have a restored one done by some person last week. Looking at them you cannot tell them apart. For a certain type of collector the history and provenance is critically important. They would rather having nothing at all than have a reproduction. This is why someone would want an NOS part. In fact they would take an original or nos part in worse condition than a repro due to the provenance. Every field of collectibles has these flavors of types of collectors. Cars. Watches. Video games. Pinballs. Boats. Motorcycles. On and on.

I fall into this category, very well said. The repo's just don't do the artwork justice in my opinion and there often to dark or the colors are just not correct. It's unfortunate really but I can usually spot a reproduction a mile away.

John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/difference-between-nos-vs-resto-backglass?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.