1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Westcb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

getting ready to purchase a color dmd for an ACDC and i was wondering what the differences are between the LCD version and the regular. theres a 38$ difference. thanks

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from joegeno:

getting ready to purchase a color dmd for an ACDC and i was wondering what the differences are between the LCD version and the regular. theres a 38$ difference. thanks

LED is made of colored pixels, like a regular DMD display but in color.
    LCD is like a mini TV screen.

LED is brighter with more vivid colors, while LCD allows you to choose several different "looks," from Dots and Dots XL (to emulate the classic DMD appearance), squares (for a mosaic look) to a setting that fills in the gaps between dots to create solid-looking shapes.

#3 1 year ago

I have a tighter dot color dmd in my mmr. Would that be the lcd difference? Or one of them.

#4 1 year ago

I mean it’s a night and day difference. The size of the dots I mean. It blew me away when I first saw it.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from joegeno:

I mean it’s a night and day difference. The size of the dots I mean. It blew me away when I first saw it.

Spend the extra $ and get the LCD. More options for how it looks, and IMO think it looks better than LED....

#6 1 year ago

I would get the LED. A bunch of people here in New England have ColorDMDs so I can compare how the games look with LCD vs LED. So essentially games that have many dots in them with fluid motion, like Tron: Legacy, benefit the most from the LCD. With LED games like Iron Man benefit the most since there isn't too many moving animations. Like with LCD I know you can add in how many dots you want but it just looks blobby with games meant for an LED.

#7 1 year ago

It really depends on the title. LCD would probably look better on AC/DC than LED, in my opinion.

The LED display looks awesome though. Saw it on an Iron Man, and I thought about selling my LCD for an LED!

#8 1 year ago

The color LED screen will fit in some games that the LCD screen won't. The only other benefit of LED is that it is considerably brighter than LCD. But if you look closely at LED you can see the individual RGB pixels within the dots (which to me is not a good thing). Like others have noted, only LCD allows choosing from different display modes.

#9 1 year ago

Just worth mentioning, LCD on newer sterns has to sit back in the box recessed and looks odd compared to the stock dmd that is flush mounted on the metal panel at an angle. The LCD can’t do this because it’s entirly to big. The LED though is around the same size of the standard dmd and can fit closer to the front. Since most people looking at the dmd while playing will be looking straight on though it’s not really an issue other then just a cosmetic one I suppose.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 43.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside