Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210307_170432 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

There are subtle differences but of course the basics are the same. The orientation of mechs and general build of Ballys will remind you most of the Williams games. Gottlieb differences will stand out but you'll adapt without too much trouble.

In my opinion Williams games are easiest to work with, usually easy to get to everything, the relays are super easy to clean and identify switch gaps. Bally's are my least favorite to work on because the logic always just seems weird and there's always a bunch of relays in the back of the cabinet you can't get to easily (always the ones you need to get to of course).

Gottliebs are a bit of a pain the ass, always having to remove pins to get to the relays properly, and those relay reset banks that are virtually impossible to accurately clean and gap without taking the whole unit out and turning upside down. Their latch trip relays are also a legendary pain in the ass with their tiny travels and seeming allergy to staying in proper adjustment. And of course their horizontal score motors were also designed to annoy and piss off techs.

Still I'd probably put Gottlieb at number 2 in the "which I'd prefer to work on" behind Williams and ahead of Bally.

#19 3 years ago

I had to go through a Blue Max and get it running, It didn’t really seem that bad. Once I got it working it stayed working.

The biggest issue was lack of availability of coil stops for the score reels.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/difference-between-em-manufacturers?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.