(Topic ID: 104041)

Did'nt plan on it, but picked up a new pin last night.....

By cosmokramer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by krivoap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camper.jpg
burger-king-king.jpg
020.jpg
019.jpg
017.jpg
015.jpg
016.jpg
014.jpg
013.jpg
012.jpg
009.jpg
008.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4fun.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I checked my Craigslist app on my way home from work yesterday like I always do, even though I purchased a Sopranos the day before and had no intention of buying another. I came across an ad for a very low play HUO LOTR that had just been placed a few minutes prior. No pictures but description, I called the guy and he said he was original owner and that it was in his storage unit for the past several years. Told him I was very interested in it and would call him back in 20 minutes when I got home to get cash and address. When I called him back he said he already had six other calls since I had talked with him and that 2 people offered more than he was asking. He said I would have first shot at it since I was first to contact him. I made the 1 hour drive to North San Diego and picked up this beauty for $4900. Audit read 204 total plays and it looks like new, it just needs to be cleaned. I was planning on ordering a TWD pro but that is on hold for a few months which is probably better so I can be more informed and not just purchase due to hype.

008.jpg 138 KB

009.jpg 161 KB

012.jpg 299 KB

013.jpg 178 KB

014.jpg 145 KB

016.jpg 264 KB

015.jpg 274 KB

017.jpg 264 KB

019.jpg 298 KB

020.jpg 184 KB

Whether the audit reads 204 or 2040 makes no difference. A "low-play" claim, especially along with a "I had it in storage" story, is automatically a red flag because the storage claim can't be verified and the audit can be manipulated.

$4900 for a (well-)used LOTR in the current market is not a competitive price even IF it may be in 100% working condition. As to whether or not you made a financially astute decision in this instance, you can only find out when/if you ever try to trade it up towards a TWD in due course.

As an aside, current LOTR owners fall into two categories. Those who want to get rid of their LOTRs because JJP's THLE will be released soon, and those who want to hang on to there LOTRs for the same reason. As a result of the first instance as described above, many LOTR's are now available at good prices to grab these days.

I personally subscribe to the second line of thinking. Money and space not being an issue, it'd make sense to pair an old LOTR with a new generation JJP THLE which would complete a collector's series and give you the pleasure of owning two Keith Johnson pins next to one another, each representing a different era of pinball technology, platform, and coding.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

No one wants to keep an LOTR just because they like the game? Ownership is completely dependent upon the upcoming THLE?

Of course not. I'm referring to buying and selling LOTR's in this market, not to liking or disliking the LOTR. FWIW, I enjoy playing the LOTR (a lot), and yes a LOTR would be more desirable to me along with THLE.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

You mean verification beyond the fact that I met him at the storage facility, spent 20 minutes clearing stuff out of the way because it was all the way in the back, and had to remove a quarter inch of dust off the machine just to see through the playfield glass?
Looking at the machine in person, not in photos, it is clear that the machine has almost no games played on it...not (well)-used as you suggest.
I am pleased with my purchase and I guess thats all that matters

I'm glad to hear that it was in a storage for most of its life. If your convinced, that's all that matters. Congrats and enjoy your game.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I do. I bought LOTR figuring I'd pair it with Hobbit. My wife initially thought that was a ridiculous idea. But it's my least played game out of the three I have...although my wife loves it. When I made a passing mention about selling it, she said, "You can't! It'll look awesome next to The Hobbit!"
When even your wife comes around to your way of thinking with collecting themes, I'd venture to say that pins4fun might have a valid point.

Thanks for some common sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4fun.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/didnt-plan-on-it-but-picked-up-a-new-pin-last-night?tu=pins4fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.