(Topic ID: 104041)

Did'nt plan on it, but picked up a new pin last night.....

By cosmokramer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by krivoap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camper.jpg
burger-king-king.jpg
020.jpg
019.jpg
017.jpg
015.jpg
016.jpg
014.jpg
013.jpg
012.jpg
009.jpg
008.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I checked my Craigslist app on my way home from work yesterday like I always do, even though I purchased a Sopranos the day before and had no intention of buying another. I came across an ad for a very low play HUO LOTR that had just been placed a few minutes prior. No pictures but description, I called the guy and he said he was original owner and that it was in his storage unit for the past several years. Told him I was very interested in it and would call him back in 20 minutes when I got home to get cash and address. When I called him back he said he already had six other calls since I had talked with him and that 2 people offered more than he was asking. He said I would have first shot at it since I was first to contact him. I made the 1 hour drive to North San Diego and picked up this beauty for $4900. Audit read 204 total plays and it looks like new, it just needs to be cleaned. I was planning on ordering a TWD pro but that is on hold for a few months which is probably better so I can be more informed and not just purchase due to hype.

008.jpg008.jpg
009.jpg009.jpg
012.jpg012.jpg
013.jpg013.jpg
014.jpg014.jpg
016.jpg016.jpg
015.jpg015.jpg
017.jpg017.jpg
019.jpg019.jpg
020.jpg020.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Congrats! Looks NICE!

It's good to hear a story where the first call actually gets first dibs.

Enjoy!

#3 9 years ago

Nice pickup! LOTR is a great game. You may notice that Sopranos has a similar layout, but both are awesome in their own right!

Had a similar thing happen on my way to pick up an Earthshaker. Accidentally clicked the CL link I told myself I would STOP USING, and saw an Aztec ad that had gone up less than a minute before. Called the guy and later that evening, I was hauling home 2 machines.

#4 9 years ago

Is that a good price out there? That isn't an instabuy game for me, so i don't keep track of value of these.

#5 9 years ago

Congrats indeed! Nice score

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Is that a good price out there? That isn't an instabuy game for me, so i don't keep track of value of these.

$4900.00 for a true low play HUO LOTR with no mods out here is a good/fair price. If I was on the hunt for a LOTR and saw this at this price I would not have passed it up. It wasn't a "steal" by any means, but it was definitely a good deal for someone looking for this title.

And everyone should own this title at some point. One of the best ever!

Enjoy Cosmo!

#7 9 years ago

no, it was not a steal...just hard to find them in this condition around here for under 5k.

#8 9 years ago

Nice find …. you are putting together a very nice collection.

#9 9 years ago

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!!!

have fun not to many around with that low of plays. enjoy it!

#10 9 years ago

Congrats and put the mylar button protectors or the button protector rails on it posthaste!

#11 9 years ago

I saw that one, glad to know somene I know got it.

#12 9 years ago

Best part is NO shipping

#13 9 years ago

NICE SCORE!

#14 9 years ago

great game. my brother and i share our collection (we rotate games between each other about every 6 months), but we both own a Lord of the Rings! it's just that good!

#15 9 years ago

Yeah, I picked up a HUO with less than 100 plays a few years ago. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I saw that one, glad to know somene I know got it.

Your always welcome to come out here to "the boonies" and play some pinball...

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I checked my Craigslist app on my way home from work yesterday like I always do, even though I purchased a Sopranos the day before and had no intention of buying another. I came across an ad for a very low play HUO LOTR that had just been placed a few minutes prior. No pictures but description, I called the guy and he said he was original owner and that it was in his storage unit for the past several years. Told him I was very interested in it and would call him back in 20 minutes when I got home to get cash and address. When I called him back he said he already had six other calls since I had talked with him and that 2 people offered more than he was asking. He said I would have first shot at it since I was first to contact him. I made the 1 hour drive to North San Diego and picked up this beauty for $4900. Audit read 204 total plays and it looks like new, it just needs to be cleaned. I was planning on ordering a TWD pro but that is on hold for a few months which is probably better so I can be more informed and not just purchase due to hype.

008.jpg 138 KB

009.jpg 161 KB

012.jpg 299 KB

013.jpg 178 KB

014.jpg 145 KB

016.jpg 264 KB

015.jpg 274 KB

017.jpg 264 KB

019.jpg 298 KB

020.jpg 184 KB

Whether the audit reads 204 or 2040 makes no difference. A "low-play" claim, especially along with a "I had it in storage" story, is automatically a red flag because the storage claim can't be verified and the audit can be manipulated.

$4900 for a (well-)used LOTR in the current market is not a competitive price even IF it may be in 100% working condition. As to whether or not you made a financially astute decision in this instance, you can only find out when/if you ever try to trade it up towards a TWD in due course.

As an aside, current LOTR owners fall into two categories. Those who want to get rid of their LOTRs because JJP's THLE will be released soon, and those who want to hang on to there LOTRs for the same reason. As a result of the first instance as described above, many LOTR's are now available at good prices to grab these days.

I personally subscribe to the second line of thinking. Money and space not being an issue, it'd make sense to pair an old LOTR with a new generation JJP THLE which would complete a collector's series and give you the pleasure of owning two Keith Johnson pins next to one another, each representing a different era of pinball technology, platform, and coding.

#18 9 years ago

No one wants to keep an LOTR just because they like the game? Ownership is completely dependent upon the upcoming THLE?

#19 9 years ago

Red flags! Unverified claims! The Hooooooobiiiitttt!!! COMPLETE THE COLLECTORS SERIES!!

What a ridiculous bunch of unrelated nonsense. I don't know a single LOTR owner who falls into either category, just people who like a rad game.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

"I had it in storage" story, is automatically a red flag because the storage claim can't be verified

You mean verification beyond the fact that I met him at the storage facility, spent 20 minutes clearing stuff out of the way because it was all the way in the back, and had to remove a quarter inch of dust off the machine just to see through the playfield glass?

Looking at the machine in person, not in photos, it is clear that the machine has almost no games played on it...not (well)-used as you suggest.

I am pleased with my purchase and I guess thats all that matters

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

No one wants to keep an LOTR just because they like the game? Ownership is completely dependent upon the upcoming THLE?

Of course not. I'm referring to buying and selling LOTR's in this market, not to liking or disliking the LOTR. FWIW, I enjoy playing the LOTR (a lot), and yes a LOTR would be more desirable to me along with THLE.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

You mean verification beyond the fact that I met him at the storage facility, spent 20 minutes clearing stuff out of the way because it was all the way in the back, and had to remove a quarter inch of dust off the machine just to see through the playfield glass?
Looking at the machine in person, not in photos, it is clear that the machine has almost no games played on it...not (well)-used as you suggest.

I'm glad to hear that it was in a storage for most of its life. If your convinced, that's all that matters. Congrats and enjoy your game.

#23 9 years ago

I don't trust anyone that hides behind a forum moniker and does not share their colelction or location

edited to add: or disables PMs and uses an empty lightboard as an avatar

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What a ridiculous bunch of unrelated nonsense. I don't know a single LOTR owner who falls into either category, just people who like a rad game.

I do. I bought LOTR figuring I'd pair it with Hobbit. My wife initially thought that was a ridiculous idea. But it's my least played game out of the three I have...although my wife loves it. When I made a passing mention about selling it, she said, "You can't! It'll look awesome next to The Hobbit!"

When even your wife comes around to your way of thinking with collecting themes, I'd venture to say that pins4fun might have a valid point.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

It is all that matters. We all know that when you change the batteries with the power off, the audits reset. So any game count should be the least of your considerations when buying a machine. I don't care if a LOTR had 10k plays on it. If Chris Hutchins did a restore on it, I wouldn't care if it had been used by a gorilla in an American Tourister commercial. (Remember those?)

Cosmo...you bought a great game in great condition for a great price. Enjoy the hell out of it, my friend!

#26 9 years ago

I have a 2006 model LOTR never been in storage with less than 90 true play's on it. Just not into playing 1/2 hour to 45 minute game plays. So it is possible for LOTR'S to have true low play's on them.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I do. I bought LOTR figuring I'd pair it with Hobbit. My wife initially thought that was a ridiculous idea. But it's my least played game out of the three I have...although my wife loves it. When I made a passing mention about selling it, she said, "You can't! It'll look awesome next to The Hobbit!"
When even your wife comes around to your way of thinking with collecting themes, I'd venture to say that pins4fun might have a valid point.

Thanks for some common sense.

#28 9 years ago

I would of bought it!!
Nice score

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sure, makes total sense. But to imply that LOTR owners fall into two categories, both based on a non-existent JJP machine is pretty silly. Pairing them makes total sense, there's just a little more to owning the game than that.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, makes total sense. But to imply that LOTR owners fall into two categories, both based on a non-existent JJP machine is pretty silly. Pairing them makes total sense, there's just a little more to owning the game than that.

True. It helps that we know one game is awesome and the other looks like it will be as well. If one of them sucked, it'd be out the door faster than shit through a goose. Does anybody here have both Indiana Jones machines? Doubt it...unless they REALLY want an IJ collection.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

Whether the audit reads 204 or 2040 makes no difference. A "low-play" claim, especially along with a "I had it in storage" story, is automatically a red flag because the storage claim can't be verified and the audit can be manipulated.
$4900 for a (well-)used LOTR in the current market is not a competitive price even IF it may be in 100% working condition. As to whether or not you made a financially astute decision in this instance, you can only find out when/if you ever try to trade it up towards a TWD in due course.

Just baffled as to why you decided to make these comments.

OP - Congrats on the pickup, looks really nice!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I was planning on ordering a TWD pro but that is on hold for a few months which is probably better so I can be more informed and not just purchase due to hype.

That's a smart move......plus LOTR is such a good game

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I have a 2006 model LOTR never been in storage with less than 90 true play's on it. Just not into playing 1/2 hour to 45 minute game plays. So it is possible for LOTR'S to have true low play's on them.

Why on Earth do you still own it?

I got tired of the long games as well (mine was bought NIB in 2003)......so I sold it.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

... Told him I was very interested in it and would call him back in 20 minutes when I got home to get cash and address. ...

I'm curious, do folks keep that kind of cash on hand or in their local bank account for a spur of the moment pinball purchases? It seems whenever a buying opportunity comes up unexpectedly I'm always scrambling to find cash, but this probably has more to do with my choice in a bank than anything else.

At one Chicago expo a few years back, I was fortuante to have a friend along who was kind enough to advance me cash (in exchange for a check) as the seller of the POTC I wanted obviously prefered cash and not some excuse that my bank was not open on the weekend.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Your always welcome to come out here to "the boonies" and play some pinball...

I say he's the one in the "boonies", not us!

#36 9 years ago

Congrats! Looks really nice!

#37 9 years ago

krivoap: I have a "pinball fund" that I keep in cash at my home hidden away. I add to it when I can.
So when those CL ads come up on Sunday or you need cash fast, you have it and are 1 step closer than the next guy that would have to wait until Monday.
My "Stash" currently has $200 in as I just paid for my TWDLE this AM.
Time to start over....
Looks like a REAL nice game. Congrats OP. It's a fun one!

#38 9 years ago

great pickup ! fun game i would love to own someday.

#39 9 years ago

Cash is king.

#40 9 years ago

Congrats to you on the new purchase and to the seller for keeping his word.
Nice pick up, I love mine!

#41 9 years ago

Hey!!
burger-king-king.jpgburger-king-king.jpg

#42 9 years ago

Congrats man! Such a good game. Just pick up one myself recently and I'm loving it. Enjoy!

#43 9 years ago

sweet. I would love to own LOTR. Sounds like someone here woke up on the wrong side of the bed and can't just be happy for ya

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

Some people just like to piss off (or on) happy campers!

camper.jpgcamper.jpg
#45 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

krivoap: I have a "pinball fund" that I keep in cash at my home hidden away. I add to it when I can.
So when those CL ads come up on Sunday or you need cash fast, you have it and are 1 step closer than the next guy that would have to wait until Monday.
My "Stash" currently has $200 in as I just paid for my TWDLE this AM.
Time to start over....
Looks like a REAL nice game. Congrats OP. It's a fun one!

LOL, whenever I tried to stash cash at home it would somehow seam to wind up as spending money for our teenagers. And yes, OP, congratulations!

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Some people just like to piss off (or on) happy campers!

camper.jpg 15 KB

Couldn't agree more. I've knowingly and happily paid extra for games that was an easy drive and I could bring home the same day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.95
€ 7.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/didnt-plan-on-it-but-picked-up-a-new-pin-last-night and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.