(Topic ID: 106659)

Did you preordered THLE? Are you going to...

By Survey_said

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by heckheck
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I preordered THLE, With the reveal and reviews from expo I am now going to...”

• Change my order to the Smaug SE, nice option, Thanks Jack 62 votes
    26%
  • Keep my LE as is, I liked what I have seen 17 votes
    7%
  • Cancel my order, too much negative press 77 votes
    32%
  • Wait for more info & developments before deciding 85 votes
    35%

(241 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
panel4.jpg
panel3.jpg
panel2.jpg
panel1.jpg
images.jpg
IMG_20141017_201625.jpg
George_Michael_Faith.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

There is a lot to the Hobbit™ that you cannot see -
How will all 15 targets work in the rules.
How the action button on the front molding controls features of the game - Smaug's Tail diverter that's on the ramp - how Smaug™ - how his speech taunts you and causes you to lose your ball. The depth of play, rules and modes - so much going on.
I receiven an e mail from a theater operator this morning for a quote on 86 games!! That's amazing to me and what we really want to see - more pinball on location.
We were bashed on the development of WOZ - I believe this is more game than WOZ!

Hi Jack. I'm sure we all appreciate the feedback. I think the rules are going to be amazing in the game.

When you mention Smaugs tail does that mean that there are more moldings for Smaug then what was shown?

Also, you mention 15 targets. There are currently 11 drops in the game. What are the other 4 targets? Is there going to be 4 additional drops somewhere?

Thanks!

#34 9 years ago

I think what the game really needs is a modeled Windlance toy that is motorized in the middle of the apron that could allow shots to the drop targets in front of Smaug. Have the ball get there through the far left rail. I think something like that would help scratch that interactive toy itch.

#151 9 years ago

Personally I think the biggest issue with TH right now is lack of variety in terms of interactive toys. Drop targets are fun but I think everyone here will agree we need more in a $7500+ game to shoot at. With WOZ you have one drop target with a shot behind it but also two mini playfields with various shots, a saucer shot, a spinner shot at the Crystal ball and more. With Smaug not being interactive with the ball we are left with the drop targets and the pop ups being the main things to hit. I think that would have been fine had Smaug interacted with the ball on say the level of the castle in MM. However that is not the case and if leaves the drops as the main interactive toy.

I understand that WB didn't want the Smaug toy to be hit directly but why not then make 3/5 drops in front of the toy a motorized target bank with a shot behind it Attack from Mars style? In a $7500-$9k game that seems doable.

The Windlance toy sounds cool on paper but in reality it is a pop up peg that allows a ball to be held at the kicker to be shot at the right bank of drop targets. With the peg not being able to adjust the direction of the ball I think the goal of the shot will always be to hit one of the drop targets that has a roving flashing insert. I think a motorized ACDC canon style toy but modeled like a Windlance mounted somewhere on or near the apron would be preferred especially considering that Smaug doesn't interact with the ball.

I still think that this game will have an epic ruleset. For now I'm going to wait and see what the final production game looks like before either canceling my preorder or sticking with it.

#166 9 years ago

Like PinballRulez said I think we need to see what type of game shows up to IAAPA before making final judgment. That leaves JJP less then a month to change and add some things to the game. WOZ won a highly regarded award at the IAAPA event in 2012 but I doubt that would be the case if it was shown in the current state that The Hobbit is.

Prove us all wrong JJP and knock this one out of the park!

1 week later
#264 9 years ago

I know what you mean Pinister. I've had hopes for The Hobbit after owning a WOZ. While drop targets are fun I much rather have toys like mini / underground playfields, a motorized canon, or an interactive ship / castle instead. That leaves Smaug as the games central toy. The fact that Smaug doesn't interact with the ball is partially what led me to cancelling my preorder. $7500 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a pinball machine and at that price a game needs to have a few substantial things that interact with the ball (not just bounce off of them either) to get my hard earned money. I do think that JJP is going to make some changes to the game that will help its appeal but I don't see how they will make Smaug more interactive. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe if the whole back area is modeled like the Lonely Mountain it will seem like one big interactive toy. Also, I think Keith is going to make the deepest ruleset yet for a pin with this game.

For now I'm going to watch the development of the game from the sidelines (maybe I'll pick one up one day) and patiently wait for Pats game. In the end The Hobbits playfield layout and it's shots don't appeal to me but I know they will for many. I'm still rooting for JJP with The Hobbit and hope that everyone who receives a game loves it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-preordered-thle-are-you-going-to?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.