(Topic ID: 106659)

Did you preordered THLE? Are you going to...

By Survey_said

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by heckheck
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I preordered THLE, With the reveal and reviews from expo I am now going to...”

• Change my order to the Smaug SE, nice option, Thanks Jack 62 votes
    26%
  • Keep my LE as is, I liked what I have seen 17 votes
    7%
  • Cancel my order, too much negative press 77 votes
    32%
  • Wait for more info & developments before deciding 85 votes
    35%

(241 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
panel4.jpg
panel3.jpg
panel2.jpg
panel1.jpg
images.jpg
IMG_20141017_201625.jpg
George_Michael_Faith.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craz4pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think it looks good, I do see the concern but when final product is released and some of us have it in our homes then let the critique begin. We all know first impressions bad or good do not make or break a pin.

All the code in the world, and all the flowy "flow", cannot make up for what many folks were looking for when they bought into this very expensive game. Yes, some folks are more concerned with code, modes, and flow .. and they will likely be happy. But other folks really like a visually stunning and mechanical interaction with the ball type of game. Different strokes for different folks.

It sure seems all the emphasis on this game has gone into the rules/modes and player interaction which seems significant over WOZ. Unfortunately, it came at the cost of losing all the inserts/lights, multiple toys, and many other game elements.

In regards to player interaction ... my only concern there is the location of the button on the lockdown bar (as others have noted.) To take your hands off the flipper buttons to hit that seems difficult if done while play is still going on (versus like AC/DC where play stops when the ball locks in the cannon.) If this button on Hobbit is to be used extensively ... it probably should have been located on the side of the cabinet. We'll see.

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Jack, please tell us what we whom all pre ordered can expect. Facts please.
I am not interested at this point that you have to make a quote for 86 games. You could as well lose hundreds of pre orders if you do not come with facts. I am sure you believe in the game, so convince us to do so too!

If you can't read between the lines it sounds like we are looking at an essentially complete game physically (95%+?) But there are many rules, player interaction (using the button on the lockdown bar), and callouts/movement from Smaug that we're yet to see. But if you were counting on the book being replaced with an lcd I would say don't count on it (or Smaug's head doing something more for that matter.) It's certainly possible .. but just don't count it and then you will be pleasantly surprised.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

It's safe to say we have seen all that Smaug can do but nothing of what it will do based on jacks comments and the reveal. It would be nice if we could get a statement saying something like this is or is not the complete game we will be receiving and if the lockdown bar interacts with elements already shown or something yet to be revealed. That would Go a long way toward settling the unease raised by the reveal while still allowing Jack the surprise factor space he might have left up his sleeve.

Why are you still acting like you think there is some big "surprise" coming in the form of some toy or other significant playfield element?? I think you are setting yourself (and possibly others) up for some real disappointment if you think that's the case. Maybe a ramp decal or engraving (or other small decoration?), certainly the button on the lockdown bar, but otherwise ... this it physically (and again, there's still a lot going on to appreciate.)

Speaking of decorations ... I think artistic blades would be a very affordable and easy addition at this point (depending on whether the art could get approved in time) that could dress the game up a little more.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Let me ask you this, R U buying The Hobbit?

Yes ... but used. I'm confident I'll find one in mint condition a year or two from now. I want one but I'll wait.

I'm not offended and I don't mean to come across as overly critical (as I said, there is a LOT to appreciate in this game). But I've been through this EXACT same situation with WOZ. Even when we saw the final game months before shipping began, many (MANY) of us were still speculating on the Google forum where there would be final changes or surprises in the game. Nothing more came. Nobody from JJP looked to downplay our hopes. I see nobody from JJP looking to downplay your hopes right now so I just feel bad and think folks should just be realistic.

There are a remarkable number of "deja vu" things happening right now with Hobbit (from a customer's perspective) that happened with WOZ. It really is surprising to me.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That wasn't meant for you, but I like your explanation better than what I would have gotten from the intended fella. I'm with ya.

Oh, lol.

Fine (John), I'll shut up now. You can be happy about that.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

How long did we know about the crystal ball on woz until the final reveal? Am I setting myself up? Maybe, maybe not...

I think we knew about the crystal ball 6-8 months before game #1 actually shipped? It was not revealed all that late in the game (certainly more than 3 months before game #1 shipped). Even then, the crystal ball was a well-known rumor for MUCH longer then that. If there really was a surprise coming ... they've made it one heck of a secret (unless it really is a 5" lcd that was rumored.) And I'm not sure a 5" lcd will save the day anyway!

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I think we agree the reveals are on a shorter timeline than WoZ which was painstakingly long.
Reading between the lines myself anyone else find it curious we had a full playfield view at Expo but the playfield pictures are conspicuously missing from JJPs web site and flyer?

Possibly because they haven't finished a few decals (someone noted they mentioned possibly adding ramp decals and/or etchings in the ramps?). There could be a few more lights or pf lighting effects added? I think there will certainly be a few small nice details like this added ... so why take pictures and create marketing material until it is 100%?

If JJP is holding back on a big surprise I think it is a remarkably poor business decision (shocking even) to not at least hint right now that a big playfield surprise is coming (such as an lcd.) What would they have to gain by not stating that now? They have plenty to lose (or are losing according to this poll?) by not stating it if it's true.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Take these numbers with a grain of salt. It's in no way an accurate measure, too easily corrupted by those with an agenda and there seems to be a lot of fanboys from other camps that for whatever reason relish peeing in others corn flakes.

Agreed. I think the numbers are far from accurate (although I can honestly say I did not vote because I'm not in on a pre-order.)

Can you imagine what would happen if this many people (or even a fraction) actually asked for refunds this coming week??

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

See we did learn something today. Now everyone knows that 86 games will be built before they get theirs.

I know you're being sarcastic but I'm pretty sure that movie theatre will quickly change their mind when they realize these games are not ready to be shipping soon. Even if they did get the first 86 off the production line ... seriously ... when could they be delivered at the earliest? Middle of January? As someone else noted, the movie will have been out for a month at that point and and already fading at theatres.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

It's creatively doing business. You have a big order but no more product slots so you introduce a new product version and offer free transfer for the old buyers to the new version, they jump on the new version and you get enough free slots for the new buyers to get the old version.

He was referring to Jack's comment earlier in this thread about a movie theatre chain sending an RFQ for 86 games.

BUT .. to your point .. NO, it's not "creatively doing business" (by announcing a new edition). It's "deceptively doing business." I've stated it before and I hate to repeat myself but Jack had previously stated (back around the initial announcement of the game and in response to talk about the 75th edition WOZ) that there would be no other special editions of Hobbit. Just the one limited edition and the 75th edition of WOZ was a unique situation given the anniversary of the movie and the product catalog coming out that JJP could get their game advertised in. Well, here we are ... deja vu .. there's suddenly a new edition of Hobbit. Oh well. It is what it is.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What concerns me is the deafening silence from JJP. In the face of this Jack has popped up and said "hey, it's got modes and a button and the diverter is really a tail!". And that's it. So I'm just not really full of faith that the criticism has a response. I don't feel like there's a magic unveiling of new shit that's going to pop up next month.

I've thought about it a lot and only one thing makes sense. They just don't know themselves. Not 100%. I think they may be working on an alternative (to the book for example) ... but they may not have it working 100% or at a reliability level that they feel comfortable proclaiming it will be in the game 100%. They're going to bust their butts over the next 6 or 7 weeks to fix (or improve) as many things as possible ... but they just can't guarantee much more than what they've shown at expo unfortunately. If they could I think they would say something. They're doing the safe and smart thing (IMO) and focusing on the great things that are there in the game today and the few things they feel confident they can add or will be there when game #1 ships (such as the button on the lockdown bar, maybe some decals or etching on the ramp, etc.)

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I feel comfortable that there are some significant things we haven't seen yet.

Like what? I think Smaug himself seems to be biggest disappointment BY FAR. Especially since he was (is) to be the main mechanical toy on the playfield that folks thought would directly interact with the ball. I don't think he'll change. Other things may be added.

Quoted from Rick432:

I am confident that i have plenty of time to get a refund if I don't like the product after more gets revealed.
But i have absolutely no desire to request a refund at all at this point.
Hmmm. Oh, well. Peace.

I do agree with this. I would absolutely be patient and wait another 6 or 7 weeks to see what develops. You just never know. I don't think replacing the book will turn this into something epic, but with all things considered this can still be a great game (top 50 all time easily). People seem to always feel like the next game coming out should be the new #1 of all time or else they're disappointed.

#163 9 years ago

Getting a refund should not be a problem (although it took a few weeks before I got my check.)

Id be surprised if these polls are overly accurate. I really think people should take a deep breath after this weekend and wait a little longer to see what more might get done.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Hobbit™
Smaug™

Is it those big bad wolves you keep mentioning? Are they bothering you? What kind of legalist bullies do you take these guys for?
I think you're overly paranoid. It explains part of why you couldn't fight the licensor for Balcer's ideas, you just didn't have the cojones. It explains why he blames you in some ways. Freres and Nordman saw this and quit aswell. I bet that's what happened.
Unless you pushed them out for cost-cutting measures, 'cause that table surely exemplifies that strategy.
Either way, throwing legal threats at Aurich (for something so petty) will not reassure yourself of whatever cojones you think you have left.
Pat Lawlor is now the leader of your company, maybe not on paper; not in a legal way. But I hope you understand the implication of your legalese leadership; that you signed off your company to Pat, because the community has its own law, the most important one: they're the ones with the cash. And the legalese threat of those licensors have got nothing on that. We're now all looking to Pat for what will be a marking moment on the future image of YOUR company.
Wake-up and save this Hobbit game. Push the release date back. Because right now, your company has been renamed to "Jersey Pat". And you better hope he doesn't get a heart attack 'cause all your eggs are in one basket.

Dont hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Although those little TM's do wreak of paranoia, lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craz4pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-preordered-thle-are-you-going-to?tu=craz4pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.