(Topic ID: 106659)

Did you preordered THLE? Are you going to...

By Survey_said

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by heckheck
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I preordered THLE, With the reveal and reviews from expo I am now going to...”

• Change my order to the Smaug SE, nice option, Thanks Jack 62 votes
    26%
  • Keep my LE as is, I liked what I have seen 17 votes
    7%
  • Cancel my order, too much negative press 77 votes
    32%
  • Wait for more info & developments before deciding 85 votes
    35%

(241 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
panel4.jpg
panel3.jpg
panel2.jpg
panel1.jpg
images.jpg
IMG_20141017_201625.jpg
George_Michael_Faith.jpg

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 5 years ago

And my point is many folks are giving very specific feedback. Ignore it if you want to. It would be stupid to not share after going to the show but of course it could be stupid to ignore it. But ok I will let it go and enjoy the results later ; )

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

do games always have to be "epic" in order to be worth buying?

Uhm.... Yes, they do. I know some on the forum buy pins like apples. But for 99,999999% op de worlds population, more then 4k for a toy is insain.

Off course it should be epic.

It aint a playstation game costing 60 euro.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

And my point is many folks are giving very specific feedback. Ignore it if you want to.

Sorry dude. Not trying to be combative.

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Im on the fence about this game, we dont know how many people truly dumped their preorder and I fear if its a large amount JJP will end up in financial trouble and I dont want to get caught essentially donating my money to a business that could end up bankrupt. Everyone knows that the preorders have funded jjp and without them its game over.

JJP built all the WOZLE games that he had preorders on at the lower price. Everything being built now is making money for him. For him to have survived building those 1000 games with minimal new money coming in speaks well for him in the financial department. Your concerns about this should be directed towards DP now since they are the ones financing a company and assembly line on prepayments.

#255 5 years ago

No worries , you want folks that put the time and effort into going to see the game to shut up so we will. Not like it affects me at all.

#256 5 years ago

I pre-ordered TH based on the theme, and what I saw with WOZ. Reading these threads is like reliving the past. WOZ was bashed constantly by many "experts" along the way. JJP took it in stride and created an awesome machine that appeals to some but not others. I think the same will happen with TH. Already there is talk that this will bankrupt JJP. Last year they were supposedly insolvent and people with pre-orders were going to get screwed out of their WOZ orders. Many people who swore they would never pre-order a pin have now pre-ordered TBL. This is one strange and fascinating hobby. A social scientist could have a ball here.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

I pre-ordered TH based on the theme, and what I saw with WOZ. Reading these threads is like reliving the past. WOZ was bashed constantly by many "experts" along the way. JJP took it in stride and created an awesome machine that appeals to some but not others. I think the same will happen with TH. Already there is talk that this will bankrupt JJP. Last year they were supposedly insolvent and people with pre-orders were going to get screwed out of their WOZ orders. Many people who swore they would never pre-order a pin have now pre-ordered TBL. This is one strange and fascinating hobby. A social scientist could have a ball here.

Not directed at you Hwawonyu.

#258 5 years ago

Woz the game did not get so much hate.

The theme, ok, that was point of discussion, still is. The hate was towards other non gameplay stuff, like delays, and miscommunications.

If i remember it well, .

#259 5 years ago

Hi. I opened a NIB WOZ this weekend. It exceeded my expectations for beauty, quality, and play. I have a TH pre-ordered and fully paid for. Although there is always uncertainty in all decisions we make, I suspect TH will also ultimately be a great game. JJP' s business model does not work unless the games produced are top-notch.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from Lotr-Hobbit:

Hi. I opened a NIB WOZ this weekend. It exceeded my expectations for beauty, quality, and play. I have a TH pre-ordered and fully paid for. Although there is always uncertainty in all decisions we make, I suspect TH will also ultimately be a great game. JJP' s business model does not work unless the games produced are top-notch.

Congrats! I really like the hobbit theme so I would really like to keep my pre order with the hobbit, if I am not 'feeling it' I will switch over to WOZ 75. That is a hard pin to pass up

#261 5 years ago

You got to realize that it is just a matter of a few ascetics on the Hobbit machine. When JJ fixes them, this thing will look amazing. mark my words.

#262 5 years ago

I would not worry about the looks if it costed 5k euro, instead of 8k.

I still think it will be a very fun pin to play. But it could have been amazing if Smaug had more shots and interaction.

You cant mod that.

#263 5 years ago

Im a little new in this area but I saw the WOZ and had my share of play and couldnt get off the machine. I took a chance with JJP because I saw the potential. I placed an order for THLE and switched to the SE. I wanted WOZ but I knew what it was all about and I just liked the eliment of surprise with TH. However after seeing the Video's I was disappointed in what I saw. It looks like JJP spent more time on developing what was under the PF then they did on what was on the PF itself. The ball itself does not seem to have a lot of action in it and I am guessing it is because the PF is so open on a wide body that it losses a lot of its motion. Now im not into bashing anyone, I know this is an unfinished product and I have faith that JJP will fix the issues. There was so much that could have been done with this game and to be honest Compared to the WOZ I am not seeing it. As humans we are all very visual in nature. And from what I see the visual is just not in the game as of yet. We can only wait and see, but after dropping 8K on this machine it does have me a little worried.

#264 5 years ago

I know what you mean Pinister. I've had hopes for The Hobbit after owning a WOZ. While drop targets are fun I much rather have toys like mini / underground playfields, a motorized canon, or an interactive ship / castle instead. That leaves Smaug as the games central toy. The fact that Smaug doesn't interact with the ball is partially what led me to cancelling my preorder. $7500 is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a pinball machine and at that price a game needs to have a few substantial things that interact with the ball (not just bounce off of them either) to get my hard earned money. I do think that JJP is going to make some changes to the game that will help its appeal but I don't see how they will make Smaug more interactive. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe if the whole back area is modeled like the Lonely Mountain it will seem like one big interactive toy. Also, I think Keith is going to make the deepest ruleset yet for a pin with this game.

For now I'm going to watch the development of the game from the sidelines (maybe I'll pick one up one day) and patiently wait for Pats game. In the end The Hobbits playfield layout and it's shots don't appeal to me but I know they will for many. I'm still rooting for JJP with The Hobbit and hope that everyone who receives a game loves it.

#265 5 years ago

My hope is that if TH ends up on the failure list It will turn out the way Safe Cracker did. That Machine had some great ideas and yet it failed because the public was not ready for something that different. Most of the machines were sent over to Europe and now they are nearly impossible to find. If you do find a good one with all working parts including the wings you cant buy it for under 8 K. TH has some great features and with all the modes, it has great potential. Problem is how many of those modes are all from bashing drop targets. That maybe a little too repetitious for me and would render the game boring. But like I said, I have faith in JJP. It is my first Game and I am hoping Jack comes through big in the end. Worse thing that could happen is I sell it or make a trade.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

My hope is that if TH ends up on the failure list It will turn out the way Safe Cracker did. That Machine had some great ideas and yet it failed because the public was not ready for something that different. Most of the machines were sent over to Europe and now they are nearly impossible to find. If you do find a good one with all working parts including the wings you cant buy it for under 8 K. TH has some great features and with all the modes, it has great potential. Problem is how many of those modes are all from bashing drop targets. That maybe a little too repetitious for me and would render the game boring. But like I said, I have faith in JJP. It is my first Game and I am hoping Jack comes through big in the end. Worse thing that could happen is I sell it or make a trade.

Seems silly the argument that there will be boring mode variations on a drop target, target, scoop, ramp & lane game vs a ramp, target & lane game like LOTR. Granted LOTR has far fewer modes than TH will have but the variations with the far fewer possible shots/combos on LOTR are nothing short of brilliant. Add the extra variables on TH of drops, scoops user controlled ramp diverter and it creates near infinite variation possibilities, not just hit this drop, that drop. Get real guys! Repetition can be fun too, who does not like getting loop champion on HS2?

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

My hope is that if TH ends up on the failure list It will turn out the way Safe Cracker did. That Machine had some great ideas and yet it failed because the public was not ready for something that different. Most of the machines were sent over to Europe and now they are nearly impossible to find. If you do find a good one with all working parts including the wings you cant buy it for under 8 K.

Safecracker is an awesome game, but you can get nice ones for less than 8K.

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Seems silly the argument that there will be boring mode variations on a drop target, target, scoop, ramp & lane game vs a ramp, target & lane game like LOTR. Granted LOTR has far fewer modes than TH will have but the variations with the far fewer possible shots/combos on LOTR are nothing short of brilliant. Add the extra variables on TH of drops, scoops user controlled ramp diverter and it creates near infinite variation possibilities, not just hit this drop, that drop. Get real guys! Repetition can be fun too, who does not like getting loop champion on HS2?

I didn't pay for a modern EM. I paid for Smaug to eat my balls and sh#t them out his ass

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I paid for Smaug to eat my balls and sh#t them out his ass

#271 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I didn't pay for a modern EM. I paid for Smaug to eat my balls and sh#t them out his ass

Code will fix this. It will be solid.

#272 5 years ago

It will be great. I was excited to see a flow game when the playfield was revealed, the theme, monitor, audio, pop-ups, and the reveal of the intended depth will make this game killer fun. Upon reflection the initial negative Expo sentiment (being amplified and exaggerated here) was understandable. How could the game be fun with a flippable demo with no rules and an open pf coupled with the admittedly disappointment of the initial Smaug toy reveal? We all imagined something very much more given the anticipation that has built up over the last year. Take a step back, consider the talent and possibilities this game has behind it. My excitement has been rekindled after the Expo wet blanket. All the hubbub will only make the game even better as JJP is forced to pay extra sharp attention to prove all the naysayers 100% wrong on the rash judgement they handed out.

#273 5 years ago

Did you…did you just jizz on TaTa?

#274 5 years ago

They're all jealous that I got a special invite to JJP when the final product is ready for production. Considering my pin will be the 15th off the line, I need to know if this really will be all that or just as I see it now, crap.

Quoted from Rarehero:Did you…did you just jizz on TaTa?

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you…did you just jizz on TaTa?

Seemed apropos after all the talk of his balls being shit out of an ass, no?

4 weeks later
#276 4 years ago

So who wants to change their vote now? JJP listened and responded in many big ways. If you voted you would cancel, did you? Are you second guessing that decision now? I was a "wait and see" I like what I'm seeing and am solidly in for the long haul now.

#277 4 years ago

I was a little worried after the expo, but after all of the reveals since I'm super excited.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

So who wants to change their vote now? JJP listened and responded in many big ways. If you voted you would cancel, did you? Are you second guessing that decision now? I was a "wait and see" I like what I'm seeing and am solidly in for the long haul now.

Sorry - not what you're looking for but... Was Paid in Full on Hobbit, didn't like a lot of things from the Expo reveal and switched to another pin. Yes, cosmetic improvements have been made but the basic game remains the same. I haven't seen anything to make me doubt my decision. With the money these things are costing, it needs to be a home run (for me at least) and I was sad to realize it wasn't getting me excited enough. I hope you enjoy it.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

If you voted you would cancel, did you? Are you second guessing that decision now?

Yes. No. I like the changes, but not enough for me to keep my order.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

#281 4 years ago

I am as sure about staying in as the ones are about canceling. In fact, I hope the cancelations move me up the list to get mine faster.

#282 4 years ago

Still in, but the 'final final' will be what I base my decision on. So it really depends on how JJP finishes this.

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Still in, but the 'final final' will be what I base my decision on. So it really depends on how JJP finishes this.

This is where im at, I need to see everything installed on the game to get the full context of it.

#284 4 years ago

After expo I was >< to out. If the family hadn't told me to stay the course a bit longer there'd be a MET in my basement right now and JJP would be one more order short (MET is less money and guaranteed fun as I've played it and it rocks).

JJP impressed me with the changes so far, but I still need to see an even stronger finish to the whole package to see if they get that final last leap of faith from me for my money. Even a whif that they are cutting corners calling it a day and shipping "good enough" would have me packing it in in a NY second. I have to believe they will remain fully committed to making the game really shine. It's tough since the software will need to be real special to make the pf design choices work and we won't know that for the better part of a year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Braunfels, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside