(Topic ID: 106659)

Did you preordered THLE? Are you going to...

By Survey_said

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by heckheck
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I preordered THLE, With the reveal and reviews from expo I am now going to...”

• Change my order to the Smaug SE, nice option, Thanks Jack 62 votes
    26%
  • Keep my LE as is, I liked what I have seen 17 votes
    7%
  • Cancel my order, too much negative press 77 votes
    32%
  • Wait for more info & developments before deciding 85 votes
    35%

(241 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

panel7.jpg
panel6.jpg
panel5.jpg
panel4.jpg
panel3.jpg
panel2.jpg
panel1.jpg
images.jpg
IMG_20141017_201625.jpg
George_Michael_Faith.jpg

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

With the announcement and reveal at Expo what are you doing with your preorder? Is the hardware done?

Post edited by moderator: Pinside rules DO NOT allow users to have multiple accounts. This account frozen.

#2 5 years ago

I must admit I am a little concerned by the initial reviews but have faith there is more to come.

#3 5 years ago

Keeping the faith man...George_Michael_Faith.jpg

#4 5 years ago

I didn't pre-order because I had a premonition and intuitive moment that this pin was not going to be half the pin that WOZ is. Looks like I'm right. And wish I was wrong!!!

#5 5 years ago

Game looks great, but man, not WOZ. Still, theme is good, should sell I guess. But three versions? C'mon JJP.

#6 5 years ago

I'm I watching the same video's and seeing the same picture's, I couldn't be more thankful that its a far departure from WOZ. I think this is JJP's Ironman fast and furious with great sound not to mention we haven't seen shit with regards to rules and gameplay yet people are out because it looks baron and the toys aren't detailed enough.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think this is JJP's Ironman fast and furious

BWAHAHAHAHHAA!!!

Nooooo....not even remotely. I've played it...it's not fast or furious.

#8 5 years ago

Is the version we played close to final in terms of build? I hope not because it seems very sparse. Not much going on.

#9 5 years ago

I'm looking forward to hitting drop targets for most of the 28 modes

This whole experience has been a total let down. No code or lip stick can improve on hitting nothing but drop targets the entire time! And having to hear them clicking while playing would drive me crazy

#10 5 years ago

Survey_said: 101,000 karma points, 1 day on that forum, 1st post and bang, new thread with a Poll.

You are a fast learner

Post edited by jlm33: Or is this a generic account to create polls? Did I miss something?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Survey_said: 101,000 karma points, 1 day on that forum, 1st post and bang, new thread with a Poll.
You are a fast learner

I noticed exactly the same thing. Duplicate account set up by existing Pinsider trying to hide his identity.

rd.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I noticed exactly the same thing.

Why did you thumb me down then?

#13 5 years ago

Waiting to see game after it has been released.

#14 5 years ago

I'm in on the pre-order, but if what we have seen is the final product then I am out!

I'll then pickup LOTR & Metallica for about the same price.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Why did you thumb me down then?

Because rd is the anonymous OPer!

I keed. I keed.

#16 5 years ago

With December beginning production, if this isn't the final product, when the hell is it gonna be shown?

This must be final product, no?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I noticed exactly the same thing. Duplicate account set up by existing Pinsider trying to hide his identity.
rd.

Exactly, I created the poll. Wanted an anonymous ID to keep the survey from being tainted by those that may not agree with me or my views. (been tagged as a JJP fanboy by many though I do also call a spade a spade too) Didn't do a very good job of covering my tracks though. Poorly thought out on my part with so much suspicion surrounding the subject.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Exactly, I created the poll. Wanted an anonymous ID to keep the survey from being tainted by those that may not agree with me or my views. Didn't do a very good job of covering my tracks though.

It now makes sense to me. (except I thought the poll was tainted because of that... you can't second guess everything!).

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BWAHAHAHAHHAA!!!

No shit. Half the speed, twice the price. Literally.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Literally? Where can you get an new iron man for 3750? I want one?

#22 5 years ago

This is a brilliant strategy from JJP! They reveal an underwhelming and unfinished Hobbit game at expo which now makes woz look much better to purchase, then all of a sudden BAM!! they reveal the finished Hobbit and it's a must own! That's my hope anyway, so I'm a wait for more info guy at the moment! lol!

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Literally? Where can you get an new Iron Man for 3750? I want one?

So The Hobbit is literally half the speed of Iron Man?

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm I watching the same video's and seeing the same picture's, I couldn't be more thankful that its a far departure from WOZ. I think this is JJP's Ironman fast and furious with great sound not to mention we haven't seen shit with regards to rules and gameplay yet people are out because it looks baron and the toys aren't detailed enough.

There is a lot to the Hobbit™ that you cannot see -

How will all 15 targets work in the rules.

How the action button on the front molding controls features of the game - Smaug's Tail diverter that's on the ramp - how Smaug™ - how his speech taunts you and causes you to lose your ball. The depth of play, rules and modes - so much going on.

I receiven an e mail from a theater operator this morning for a quote on 86 games!! That's amazing to me and what we really want to see - more pinball on location.

We were bashed on the development of WOZ - I believe this is more game than WOZ!

#25 5 years ago

All well and good Jack. TH looks good, but what was the thinking behind releasing a 3rd version of a prebuilt game?

I can imagine lots of LE buyers disappointed by this, but then again, I can see you trying to please the collectors market. The essence of collectable loses it's meaning if they are built in droves and droves.

Is there a fear that you are minimizing the words limited edition?

Stern flooded market with 800 LE's. Title was good, but LE lost its allure quickly.

Congrats on selling 86 games to a buyer, where will we see these pins located?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

I receiven an e mail from a theater operator this morning for a quote on 86 games!! That's amazing to me and what we really want to see

great idea for future games! have pinside customers get together as one buyer and get a quote on 300 machines a opposed to buying individually. that's some serious buying power! thanks jack!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

great idea for future games! have pinside customers get together as one buyer and get a quote on 300 machines a opposed to buying individually. that's some serious buying power! thanks jack!

Theory sounds great. When it comes time to collect money, lots will change their minds. A contract to buy should work, but logistics could be a nightmare.

Besides, buying en masse and putting in collectors hands is already being done. They are called distributors.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Then...can you show us? We all really want to like your game.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

How the action button on the front molding controls features of the game - Smaug's Tail diverter that's on the ramp - how Smaug™ - how his speech taunts you and causes you to lose your ball. The depth of play, rules and modes - so much going on.
I receiven an e mail from a theater operator this morning for a quote on 86 games!! That's amazing to me and what we really want to see - more pinball on location.
We were bashed on the development of WOZ - I believe this is more game than WOZ!

Hi Jack. I'm sure we all appreciate the feedback. I think the rules are going to be amazing in the game.

When you mention Smaugs tail does that mean that there are more moldings for Smaug then what was shown?

Also, you mention 15 targets. There are currently 11 drops in the game. What are the other 4 targets? Is there going to be 4 additional drops somewhere?

Thanks!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

I think this is only going to flame the fires more as it appears from your comments that the game is essentially complete other than code development. I'm sure it would be appreciated if you could be more definitive if there is still some work left on polishing the playfield components even if you can't discuss the specifics at this time.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hi Jack. I'm sure we all appreciate the feedback. I think the rules are going to be amazing in the game.
When you mention Smaugs tail does that mean that there are more moldings for Smaug then what was shown?
Also, you mention 15 targets. There are currently 11 drops in the game. What are the other 4 targets? Is there going to be 4 additional drops somewhere?
Thanks!

Eleven drops PLUS four trap door "trolls" = fifteen total targets. Note the trapdoor trolls I THINK are bidirectional, that is hittable from both upfield and downfield, so ARGUABLY could kinda count as four additional targets, for a grand total of 19.

But lets keep it simple. I think that's where the fifteen. Number comes from.

Also for completeness' sake, note there are static targets behind the eleven drops (i THINK all 11 have them), so there are those as well. But they represent duplicate shots from the drops, after all.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

I"m sorry Jack... But the basic layout and main toys have been shown,. If all you have to add are some aesthetic mods (including a LCD), then you've really lost me as a sale. I can't stop thinking how any code can make this layout with really nothing more than hitting drop targets interesting. It seems uneventful and thus boring to me. And I could care less about a dragon talking to me... how about real gameplay interaction as promised!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Great that you potentially have an order for 86 games Jack, but do you think that theatre owner gives a hoot about how it plays!? Nope. They just think THEME, and that if in the lobby area of the theatre whilst showing HOBBIT they will rake it in!

Think of how much footfall that game will get, the player may think it's good or may not, but you still have their money.

If Operators of theatres are going to keep you in profit great, but I think it is the theme that has got you those orders (probably depended on dec delivery) and if you want to keep making games and selling them then the market you have curently upset is what you need to focus on. Can you tell us if the game at EXPO had all the toys, just a yes or no will do.

I met you at the London EAG a few years back, saw WOZ and signed up straight away for HOBBIT. I understand that the licensee tied your hands but why you waited and did not inform all the pre-orderers what was possible and not then the reaction to what you are seeing now would be far less. Most people feel lied to

#34 5 years ago

I think what the game really needs is a modeled Windlance toy that is motorized in the middle of the apron that could allow shots to the drop targets in front of Smaug. Have the ball get there through the far left rail. I think something like that would help scratch that interactive toy itch.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

If that's true. You guys should "market" it and sell it.

It's fine when it's Stern and then Jjp and Woz, the new kid on the block.

I know you noticed, there is a ton of competition for our $$$. Pinheads are "fickle"

I said it in my other thread, you guys, all of you, do a terrible job selling your products to the home buyer. Every presentation made is always amateur hr. Laugh it off, whatever. You had over 300 pinsiders watching online and the only reason we could see it was thx to Jared, a pinhead. I honestly can't get over how dumb that is! How do you not have your own HD streaming feed with a professional PowerPoint presentation illustrating in detail ALL of the great features it has or will have. Just because everybody else treats it like a wasted opportunity? Holy crap, you have the best code guy along with Lyman out there and you fail to make him a focal point! There is other COMPETITION now and you have to remind people why you are the best instead of taking us and those facts for granted

Ok rant over. Gl with TH and congrats on big sale!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think what the game really needs is a modeled Windlance toy that is motorized in the middle of the apron that could allow shots to the drop targets in front of Smaug. Have the ball get there through the far left rail. I think something like that would help scratch that interactive toy itch.

Like the Black Rose cannon on steroids, with 3d art?

Come to think of it, this game COULD have a wicked Hyperball component to it. Hmm...

Would explain a lot, like lack of wireforms for the opaque vuks, the rotating "shield" for smaug, the wide open playfield, the need for rapid response on the drops....
Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

#37 5 years ago

What I need as a buyer so close before the release is everything on the table. I want to know what I will get. I think, that's why so many are angry. The game was hyped, it was 6 a clock in the morning here and I stayed up for the big reveal that should answer the most questions I had and now after the expo I have even more questions.
I am still in..... I still believe in JJP. I like what I see so far, if it's not the finished product. But I hoped this company will handle things not the same way STERN does. And sry but what I am reading now is STERN2. I feel that there is no understanding for me as a customer.

#38 5 years ago

Few observations:

I want to hear the main theme song from Hobbit incorporated for the eerie feeling

I will say that The Hobbit theme has so much potential with two more movie's worth of content to be added that I'm sure they couldn't show.

The code you will be able to take to the bank on being solid based on KJ track record. And I expect the animations to be even more robust.

The only concern is the layout and gameplay right now. No offense to the designer, but many commented on the layout being a letdown. The axes on the slings which sounded so cool look like a cheap mod in person. They're not even stainless steel? Hoping that changes. This is no Iron Man.

I'm happy that Lawler is on the JJP team because they need variety in design. I hope Hobbit is successful for JJP, but I have a feeling some collectors are going to bail on this. They'll still get sales based on the theme, beautiful cabinet, and video work. But it's leaning towards the disappoint side of the spectrum.

If I had magic fairy dust to sprinkle: team with JPoP and build out RAZA. It will then get finished within next two years and free up JPOP to team with Lawler. Make them work together and holy crap will sparks fly out of JJP asses in creating the best damn pinball this earth has ever seen. Original (Alice) or movie theme the innovation will be wild - and things will get done. That is my dream team up.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

What is needed now is a full HD gameplay video that shows the depth.

#40 5 years ago

As much as I would love/need to see a completed HD gameplay video ASAp we will probably have to wait until the December final reveal. I guess if there is wide spread pre order cancellation (which I don't advise) JJP will show more sooner.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

So, why would a theater operator want 86 games months after movie has left theater????

Because I am sure there is no way in heck that standards would be built in front of all of the pre orders. Right?

#42 5 years ago

I ordered TH day 1.
I wanted and believed this pin would be great.
I mainly went to Expo to just to see it.
I was thinking Smaug was going to be cutting edge!
Instead Smaug looked like the Champion Pub meets Soprano's fish.
I left wondering what the deadline was to drop out.
I hope there is some hyperball thing missing or I am likely out.

and when is the last point someone can get out...I better go check the website.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

BWAHAHAHAHHAA!!!

Where at the Expo with the super lights and background noise? What was the pitch? Ready to dismiss another pin based on a few plays, Sorry but someone who gives TFG a 10 holds no water with me.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I mainly went to Expo to just to see it.

So true, I came close to getting a plane ticket for me and my son primarily to see and play the hobbit pin (and I wanted to check TBL). Glad we didn't - but that is the amount of enthusiasm JJP is bringing to Pinball especially new pin players like me. I sure hope that The Hobbit has a strong finish.

#45 5 years ago

I think it looks good, I do see the concern but when final product is released and some of us have it in our homes then let the critique begin. We all know first impressions bad or good do not make or break a pin.

#46 5 years ago

One of the purposes off showing a game early is to listen to feedback so that changes can be made before the game goes into production.

So, seems like a good move to reveal what may be changed, what is still to come or sounds like a fair amount of pre-orders are going to be cancelled.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

One of the purposes off showing a game early is to listen to feedback so that changes can be made before the game goes into production.
So, seems like a good move to reveal what may be changed, what is still to come or sounds like a fair amount of pre-orders are going to be cancelled.

Umm, 2 months till production is a wee bit too late. Especially for the ' redesign the entire game and come back to us'.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think it looks good, I do see the concern but when final product is released and some of us have it in our homes then let the critique begin. We all know first impressions bad or good do not make or break a pin.

All the code in the world, and all the flowy "flow", cannot make up for what many folks were looking for when they bought into this very expensive game. Yes, some folks are more concerned with code, modes, and flow .. and they will likely be happy. But other folks really like a visually stunning and mechanical interaction with the ball type of game. Different strokes for different folks.

It sure seems all the emphasis on this game has gone into the rules/modes and player interaction which seems significant over WOZ. Unfortunately, it came at the cost of losing all the inserts/lights, multiple toys, and many other game elements.

In regards to player interaction ... my only concern there is the location of the button on the lockdown bar (as others have noted.) To take your hands off the flipper buttons to hit that seems difficult if done while play is still going on (versus like AC/DC where play stops when the ball locks in the cannon.) If this button on Hobbit is to be used extensively ... it probably should have been located on the side of the cabinet. We'll see.

#49 5 years ago

Well I will say in regards to the lockdown button that I really enjoy that element in STLE to have to plan your hits while the ball is in play very exciting. Toys can always be added but you can't really add playing mechanics so I would rather have that then bling, although both would be nice. Listen until I have it who knows, might hate it might love it we can only use others opinions as a very loose guide.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Jack, please tell us what we whom all pre ordered can expect. Facts please.

I am not interested at this point that you have to make a quote for 86 games. You could as well lose hundreds of pre orders if you do not come with facts. I am sure you believe in the game, so convince us to do so too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Braunfels, TX
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 189.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Forever
$ 88.00
$ 11.95
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Millsboro, DE
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside