Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 493 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2662 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2671 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6798.png
    IMG_6744.png
    2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    map (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7470394_0 (resized).png
    D9478C4D-2A74-4F21-BEB9-9A9BD8ABD965.png
    8C25FFE9-7726-4D73-B312-F92BDE6B5435 (resized).jpeg
    87C99F8F-0675-455A-956F-EE759C72508C (resized).jpeg
    C46AA0A3-26D4-423D-A0F5-E85A6591595D.jpeg
    DC8808E4-3FC8-42FE-8B69-0C35088EC4B9.jpeg
    D43E0880-319A-400D-8709-637601E29AB0 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanQverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from MajorDrainer:

OK...show me a longer palindrome.

I always liked:

A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs, a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni, a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut, a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal--Panama!

#81 3 years ago

Air molecules at room temperature are banging off each other at something in the vicinity of 800 mph.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Peanuts aren’t technically nuts
    They’re legumes.
    According to Merriam-Webster, a nut is only a nut if it’s “a hard-shelled dry fruit or seed with a separable rind or shell and interior kernel.” That means walnuts, almonds, cashews, and pistachios aren’t nuts either. They’re seeds.

But how is a seed not a "fruit or seed"?

Another fun fact, people who argue whether something is a fruit or vegetable are tools. A vegetable is anything edible from vegetation, i.e. plants. All fruits are vegetables.

#114 3 years ago

Did you know, Mexican Coke and regular Coke taste exactly the same?

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Absolutely untrue. There is a big difference between real sugar and corn syrup.
    But much of the “mexican coke” is bottled in the US.

Sugar tastes sweet and that is all. Coca-Cola's own research indicates no discernable difference in taste between so-called Mexican Coke and regular.

No wonder, all sugar tastes sweet, and that's all it tastes. Those who rail against HFCS are ignorant, it's actually "better" for you in that it tastes sweeter with fewer calories than plain corn syrup. The "highness" of the fructose is intentional, it just means added, not excessive. But it's a mixture of sugars, and tastes exactly like all sugar.

I won't argue that it's not somehow subectively better drinking it from glass, same as beer. But in a blind taste test they are indistinguishable. The opposite of "a big difference"!

#125 3 years ago

The sweetness of syrup is temperature dependent. Sugar is consistent at all temps. That’s why it is sold in areas that don’t have a lot of refrigeration and ice.

Interesting, but this could only possibly matter if you drink your Coke warm. Blech.
    Okay, how about: Mexican and regular Coke taste indistinguishable at proper serving temperature.

Switching to syrup is the reason new coke was released and then replaced with corn syrup Classic.

No, no, no, that is not what happened. From Wikipedia:
    In fact, Coca-Cola began allowing bottlers to remove up to half of the product's cane sugar as early as 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke. By the time the new formula was introduced, most bottlers had already sweetened Coca-Cola entirely with HFCS.

Oh yeah, another fun fact: Pepsi sucks! Can we at least agree on that?

Deep delve into HFCS and why it's unfairly vilified: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/high-fructose-corn-syrup/

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That one totally surprised me. Thoughts of Eddie Murphy or Sam Jackson were top of my list.

They must not be counting stand-up films, Eddie says "fuck" over 450 times between just Delirious and Raw.

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Yea it's just movies. Not stand up performances.

Even though they were quite successful movies, in theaters...

I see they went by the "scripts" which would explain that.

1 week later
    #195 3 years ago

Or you could try, I dunno, Googling it?

Turns out it's a myth (still interesting, but not a fact) or "cooking lore," as evidenced by the fact that "in Escoffier’s standard tome of French cooking, “Guide Culinaire” from 1903, you’ll find 143 ways to prepare an egg."

Does the thread title need to distinguish between "true facts" and "alternative facts"?

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Did you know a Whales dick is called a Dork? So when you call someone a dork you are calling them a giant whale penis.

Sorry, that one's BS.
    https://www.liveabout.com/the-definition-of-dork-has-nothing-to-do-with-whales-3970586

Dork.

(Besides which, if it were true, whales are already gigantic, so you would have been calling them a regular-sized whale penis.)

1 month later
    #225 3 years ago

Well a whales penis is still called a dork. So when I call you a dork, you know I am referring to you looking like a giant whale penis. lol.... anyway I am prepared to debate this until I die. we alone could take this thread to fire just talking about the mighty whale penis.

Except... simply insisting that something is true is not a debate. I cited an article stating that no one around whales calls it that. You can't just counter with "is too" and think that is any kind of valid argument.

Actually, "dork" is simply a variant of "dick" and gained popularity in the 60's. Must've been during that big whaling fad back then, huh?

#227 3 years ago

Yeah... but see I am not taking this seriously... you seem to be. lol

How can you not take 5m long, prehensile penises seriously?
    https://time.com/3306405/whale-penis-pelvis/

2 weeks later
    #238 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

That will effectively end my purchases of their bacon.

I'm pretty sure the raising of the pigs, the slaughtering, the butchering, the packaging and distribution are all still performed by Americans, who still need the jobs for money to feed their families.

1 month later
    #264 3 years ago

Not disposable butane lighters, they weren't.

1 week later
    #271 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

You can start a fire with a flint stone!

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

...or piss your wife off

Wait, you can piss off your wife with a flint stone? (Couldn't you chuck just any old stone at her?)

Or start a fire by pissing off your wife? (Assuming arson is her go-to retort?)

Or is it a reference to Fred Flintstone smoking above, somehow? I'm lost.

1 week later
    #281 3 years ago

According to volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, the Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.

Note it doesn't say socket.

#293 3 years ago

Everything moves at the speed of light through spacetime.

We have mass, so we experience it as time. The faster we move, the more time slows down for us to compensate, albeit imperceptibly. Photons have no mass, so they "experience" it as moving at 300000 km/s.

#294 3 years ago

Percy Spencer, who invented the microwave oven after a candy bar melted in his pocket while he was playing with a magnetron (the tube, not the pin!), received no royalties for his invention, but was paid a one-time $2.00 gratuity from Raytheon, the same token payment the company made to all inventors on its payroll at that time for company patents.

10 months later
    #305 2 years ago

Time to wake this thread up! I had forgotten it and almost started a new one.

This graphic surprised me at first, but makes sense upon reflection. Our "Blue Planet" is more like "painted blue"...

all-the-worlds-water (resized).jpgall-the-worlds-water (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #313 2 years ago

And Paul Revere did not call out "The British are coming!" Ms. Ludington would not have, either, since there were British troops hiding out that would hear, and because not every colonial considered themselves rebels. Many were still loyal to Great Britain. These rides were planned and discreet.

1 month later
    #319 2 years ago

We are all in "space," all the time.

When people say "space," they usually mean "outer space."

However, with Earth (and the Sun) moving at about 220,000 kilometers/second around the galaxy, and Earth's diameter being 6378 km, the very space you occupy WAS outer space less than 1/34th of a second ago, and will be again in another 1/34th of a second!

And if one considers our galaxy's motion relative to the Great Attractor and the Cosmic Background Radiation, it's even quicker than that!

#325 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I don't understand the point of this. We all know the water is on the surface and the earth is made up of solid and liquid rock. Oceans cover 70% of the outside of the earth with an average depth of 2.5 miles. That's a shit load of water. Are you advocating for more melting of the stored ice on the poles to help that graphic out?

The point is that what seems like a lot of water is not all that much, compared to the size of Earth. If it could be somehow pulled together into a sphere itself, that's how big all the water is compared to the planet. No one needs to advocate melting the ice caps -- that's already happening. Not a good thing.

Quoted from shirkle:

This reminds me of Neil Degrasse Tyson saying that if the Earth were the size of a cue ball, it would feel perfectly smooth. Our mile-high mountains are only 1/7900th of the diameter of Earth. For a cue ball, that would be a bump only 0.0002” high.

And if it were an apple, the entire atmosphere would be as thick as the peel.

3 months later
    #330 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

And french fries didn't start in france[quoted image]

Nor did French kissing, toast, bulldogs, dressing, horns, or braids!

#333 2 years ago

This one blew my mind. Electrical power is not transmitted by electrons flowing through wires.

I'll say it again to help it sink in: Electrical power is not transmitted by the electrons flowing through the wires!

When "current is flowing," the electrons in a wire only move at something like a tenth of a millimeter per second, a far cry from the speed of light. The actual energy is contained in and propagated by the resultant electrical and magnetic fields around the wire!

3 weeks later
    #344 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Electrical engineer here, I saw that video. I then posted this question "Why would a wire get hot if there's no energy in it?"
    That question wasn't answered.... I guess I could just run some 26 gauge wire from the pole to the house and call it a day.

Shoving the electrons around, back and forth in the case of AC, even that slowly (~0.1mm/sec) does use up some of the energy, which (hopefully) dissipates as heat. But not in a superconductor.

3 months later
    #377 1 year ago

Virtually every elementary particle on Earth, in your body, or anywhere else is as old as the universe.

When things settled down after the big bang, they combined into atoms of mostly hydrogen, with a smidgen of helium and lithium, and the heavier elements were only subsequently assembled over billions of years in the nuclear furnaces of previous stars as they died and went supernova.

Yes, we are literally, as has been said, stardust.

I also like to say it another way: We are the foam on the cosmic ocean.

1 month later
    #388 1 year ago

It's hard to conceive of how low the odds are of winning the Powerball jackpot.

Well, suppose at every drawing, three days a week, you bought TEN THOUSAND TICKETS?

Doing that, you can still only expect to win the jackpot on average once every 187 years!

2 months later
    #392 1 year ago

52!

52 factorial, the number of different ways a deck of 52 cards can wind up shuffled, is a big number, right? Way(!) short of a googol, never mind a googolplex, but still pretty incomprehensible.

Suppose you set a timer to count down 52! seconds (that's roughly 8.0658x10^67 seconds).

Now, stand on the equator, and take a step forward every billion years. (Don't worry, it's just a thought experiment.)

When you've circled the Earth once, take a drop of water from the Pacific Ocean, and keep going with the one step per billion years...

When the Pacific Ocean is empty, lay a sheet of paper down, refill the ocean and start over.

When your stack of paper reaches the sun, take a look at the timer.

The 3 left-most digits won't have changed. 8.063x10^67 seconds left to go. Repeat the whole process 1000 times to get 1/3 of the way through that time, with still 5.385x10^67 seconds left to go.

This is getting old, right? So now for a change of pace, start doing this instead, to use up the rest of that timer:

Shuffle a deck of cards and deal yourself 5 cards every billion years.

Each time you get a royal flush, buy a lottery ticket.

Each time that ticket wins the jackpot, throw a grain of sand in the Grand Canyon.

When the Grand Canyon's full, take one ounce of rock off Mount Everest, empty the canyon and carry on dealing for Royal Flushes once per billion years.

When Everest has been levelled, check the timer.

There's barely any change. 5.364x10^67 seconds left. You'll have to repeat this process 256 times to run out the timer.

Hard to believe such a big number lurks in that innocent looking deck of playing cards!

This is a paraphrasing of a blog entry I ran across a while ago and I just noticed I left it unfinished in the draft buffer. Too good to just clear, so I finished cleaning it up.

To see the longer original or if you're curious about some of the assumptions made:
    https://czep.net/weblog/52cards.html

#393 1 year ago

Now for the reason I came here tonight, here's a cool video showing the relative sizes of Jupiter's 80 known moons, if they were all plopped down gently on the Earth.

#395 1 year ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

Yet us humans can memorise these shuffled decks pretty easily..

An impressive feat, but one particular sequence is just one group of 52 cards out of more than 80658000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 possibilities. But I do suppose that rules out correctly guessing!

Those memorization adepts use tricks like imagining a house containing weird items laid out in a row, each item somehow reminiscent of the thing it represents, and like that. That never struck me as natural memory, somehow. We normies generally use no such tricks while remembering stuff.

And now, typing all those zeroes, I am reminded that, in my previous post about the googolplex, I was afraid I was not as clear as I wanted to be.

I had pointed out how a googol "written out" is a one with a hundred zeroes after it, easy enough to write:

10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Furthermore, I explained how if you wanted to "write out" a googolplex, that is, a one with a googol of zeroes after it, if you could somehow write a zero on every elementary particle in the universe, you'd run out of particles before you got done writing all of the googol of zeroes. Wow, right?

However, my fear was that it was lost on everyone how that was just writing it out, and the actual number represented by the word "googolplex" absolutely dwarfs the measly googol of zeroes, by a factor of, yes, a googol! Now that's a big number!

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

Yeah, this is a mind blowing number! Take a deck of cards and give it a good shuffle. Congratulations, you can now say with almost (statistical) certainty that exact sequence of cards has NEVER been shuffled in all the decks of cards ever shuffled throughout history.

Ya, hey. Furthermore, if every human who has ever lived spent their entire lives shuffling a deck every ten seconds, 24 hours a day, altogether we would have gotten through no more than 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000169% of the possible combinations by now.

#406 1 year ago
    Quoted from Xaqery:

every set of numbers that was ever important to you is in PI. All your highschool locker combinations and your old phone numbers.

There is even an online tool that will find them for you, up through the first 200 million digits, anyway.

https://www.angio.net/pi/

My parents' old phone number is found at position 1833946, for instance.

You can find 12345678 at position 186557266...

Although it seems there is some question as to whether the original assertion is true: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/does-%CF%80-contain-all-possible-number-combinations/

This reminds me of the silly assertion that "if the universe is infinite, there must exist other exact copies of you" and the like.

#408 1 year ago

Back when my parents were alive, we didn't need to dial the area code so I left it off.

No wonder you didn't find the 10 digit number. As it points out in the link under the search box, the odds of finding a 7 digit number in the first 200 million digits is 99.995%, while a 10 digit number only has a 0.995% chance. More to do with the 200 million limit than with pi itself.

3 weeks later
    #419 1 year ago

I came up with another nugget regarding 52!:

You would be more likely to win the Powerball jackpot eight drawings in a row than to correctly predict the order of a deck of fairly shuffled cards.

3 months later
    #437 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Did you know he warmed up before that game by playing pinball?

Hmm, maybe I'll try warming up before my next pinball tournament by playing basketball...

1 week later
    #451 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

So the real loser was probably Wisconsin.

Not the only way Wisconsin got screwed, it was to originally include Chicago!

Sad, how the reason why involves slavery...

map (resized).jpgmap (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #472 11 months ago

Akshually ,

Quoted from jrpinball:

And time would stand still!

For you, that is. More precisely, time would cease to exist, and you would exist at all points along your path simultaneously.

Also, you would attain infinite mass, more massive than any black hole, so you would subsequently swallow up the Earth which you were trying to show off by orbiting 7x/s.

If all that sounds silly, it is because it is impossible to accelerate any mass to light speed.

The fact that light speed means light can circle the globe 7x/sec is amazing enough, why drag an impossibility into it?

#477 11 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

That's awesome Lloyd!!! Thanks for sharing that

Yeah, same. That brought back memories of the time I inadvertently started an ant war. I was all of 7 or 8, and I was making them fight by catching some black ants in a jar and then inverting it over a red ant hill. I came back out the next day and... dead ants everywhere!

That was the extent of my insect torturing career, thankfully. Now, the neighbor kid...

4 months later
    #487 6 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Of course as soon as the bride took a step, she got whiplash!

I know you're joking, but she was riding in a car.

Quoted from Mthomasslo:

over 3 1/2 miles

They must be counting the end zones, as it was 6962.6 meters long, which is 22843+ feet, which divided by 63 would be 362ish feet or just over 120 yards.
    (Over 4.3 miles)

#488 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinwhoo:

One of the four 45x90 (four points on Earth which are halfway between the geographical poles, the equator, the Prime Meridian, and the 180th meridian) in the world is in WI.

Been there!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RjQpyYPVd2ztx5rz7

Sadly, the little park's marker is in the wrong place! So close, and yet so far...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanQverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-know-random-fun-and-interesting-facts?tu=DanQverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.