Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 493 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2662 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2671 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6798.png
    IMG_6744.png
    2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    map (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7470394_0 (resized).png
    D9478C4D-2A74-4F21-BEB9-9A9BD8ABD965.png
    8C25FFE9-7726-4D73-B312-F92BDE6B5435 (resized).jpeg
    87C99F8F-0675-455A-956F-EE759C72508C (resized).jpeg
    C46AA0A3-26D4-423D-A0F5-E85A6591595D.jpeg
    DC8808E4-3FC8-42FE-8B69-0C35088EC4B9.jpeg
    D43E0880-319A-400D-8709-637601E29AB0 (resized).png
    There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 3 years ago

I have always found random facts to be fun and even useful in some social situations (or if you ever make it on Jeopardy).

Please share any with the thread.

I will start:

Algeria is about 3.5x the size of Texas

#2 3 years ago

It’s hard to run with the weight of gold, it’s just as hard with the weight of lead.

#3 3 years ago

Just a little south of me is Girdwood AK, and it is the northernmost rainforrest in the world.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

It’s hard to run with the weight of gold, it’s just as hard with the weight of lead.

Spend a little time on the mountain, spend a little time on the hill.

#5 3 years ago

Pinball is an expensive hobby.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have always found random facts to be fun and even useful in some social situations (or if you ever make it on Jeopardy).
    Please share any with the thread.
    I will start:
    Algeria is about 3.5x the size of Texas

Ak is 2.2 X bigger than TX

#7 3 years ago

Big Bird is a canary.

#8 3 years ago

Las Vegas is further west than Los Angeles

Edit: Yes, it’s Reno, not Las Vegas. Never said I was smart!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Sorry, 1 more to brag on AK. Furthest Northern, eastern and western state.

#10 3 years ago

You can’t commit suicide by holding your breath.

#11 3 years ago

The earliest sci-fi film is considered to be "A Trip to the Moon" directed by Georges Méliès in France in 1902.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

It's Reno that's further west than Los Angeles.

#13 3 years ago

In Svalbard, Norway, the northernmost inhabited region of Europe, there is no sunset from approximately 19 April to 23 August (they pay the price for that in the wintertime though)

#14 3 years ago

Virgnia is futher west than West Virginia.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm thinking you referring to Reno, it's Reno that's further west than Los Angeles

#16 3 years ago

The first country directly south of Detroit is Canada.

#17 3 years ago

In the US there are 6 distinct ways of saying pecan.

#18 3 years ago

Doritos are flammable and can be used as kindling.

#19 3 years ago

It's pop not soda

#20 3 years ago

The first oranges weren’t orange.
    The original oranges from Southeast Asia were a tangerine-pomelo hybrid, and they were actually green. In fact, oranges in warmer regions like Vietnam and Thailand still stay green through maturity.

#21 3 years ago

Rebar is numbered in eighths of an inch. For example, a number 6 rebar is 3/4” in diameter. A number 16 rebar is 2” in diameter.

#22 3 years ago

There are 9 ways to reach first base in baseball.

LTG : )

#23 3 years ago

Alfred Molina has an enormous list of acting credits to his name, including Doc Ock in the 2nd Spider-Man movie in 2004. But the first movie role most people saw him in was when he played Satipo - the fellow who accompanies Indiana Jones into the cave in the opening sequence of Raiders of the Lost Ark ... but not out of it.

#24 3 years ago

Counting both studio recording and touring, AC/DC, the worlds greatest rock and roll band,
    has had 24 different band members.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Rebar is numbered in eighths of an inch. For example, a number 6 rebar is 3/4” in diameter. A number 16 rebar is 2” in diameter.

So are light bulbs, a BR40 has a diameter of 5 inches or 40/8 inches.

#26 3 years ago

Adolf Hitler wanted The Three Stooges dead.

Having established their comic personas with the shorts, the Stooges went on to make history—although they did it by accident. Their 1940 short, You Nazty Spy!, was the first American production to openly make a mockery of Adolf Hitler’s regime. (Charlie Chaplin’s The Great Dictator opened nine months later.)

The short was obviously not complimentary of Hitler and was perceived as a terrible insult to the Führer, who actually listed the Stooges as desired casualties on his own personal death wish list. Although it’s not known whether he listed each Stooge by name, Hitler making a note to eliminate Curly would be a strange historical footnote.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There are 9 ways to reach first base in baseball.
    LTG : )

Ok let me try:

Hit
    Walk
    Hit by pitch
    Error
    Dropped third strike
    Catcher’s interference
    Fielder’s choice
    Infield fly rule?
    Balk?
    Fielder’s interference?

Ok those last three were guesses....

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

Doritos are flammable and can be used as kindling.

Pecans are also. Most pecan trees types are named after Native American tribes. I have a green river, Mandan major and a Lakota in my yard.

#29 3 years ago

All of the other planets in the Solar System would fit in between the Earth and the Moon. You could even stick Pluto in there if you like.

planets (resized).jpgplanets (resized).jpg
    #30 3 years ago

John Lennon died this year 40 years ago when he was 40.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Harder.

#32 3 years ago

Mozart wrote this when he was 8 years old.

#33 3 years ago

US Farmers make up less than 1% of the country's population. On average each farmer feeds 155 people, which is enough for the US population and makes the US the top food exporter in the world, exporting approximately $140 billion in agricultural products a year.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Just a little south of me is Girdwood AK, and it is the northernmost rainforrest in the world.

this place is totally awesome! We went a few years back and my kids were blown away with all the different varieties of mushrooms everywhere. Had to make sure they didn’t eat them...my wife on the other hand....

#35 3 years ago

In Japan you can be detained for 72 hours with no reasonable cause-and no one phone call either

I’ve seen it with my own eyes - not me though...yet

#36 3 years ago

You can't tell which way the train went by looking at its tracks.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

Infield fly rule?
    Balk?

Neither one of these two. The batter is out on an infield fly, and a balk doesn't affect the batter.

My guess is batted ball hits another runner before a fielder touches it. I believe you got the rest of them.

#38 3 years ago

Longest palindrome...A man a plan a canal Panama.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Neither one of these two. The batter is out on an infield fly, and a balk doesn't affect the batter.
    My guess is batted ball hits another runner before a fielder touches it. I believe you got the rest of them.

Yeah those didn’t sound right to me either (and on second thought the infield fly rule was a pretty bad guess). I think you might be right about the runner touching a batted ball....in that case I think the runner is out and the batter is awarded first base.

Ok here is another sports fact....
    In the storied history of the Montreal Forum, the Stanley cup was awarded many times, but only once to a non-Montreal team (Calgary Flames in 1989). That still pinches cuz I was there

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

Ok let me try:
    Hit
    Walk
    Hit by pitch
    Error
    Dropped third strike
    Catcher’s interference
    Fielder’s choice
    Infield fly rule?
    Balk?
    Fielder’s interference?
    Ok those last three were guesses....

Pretty sure you can steal first from second, although it makes no sense to do it.
    I think another is if you are running from first to second when another batter hits. If he is forced out and the throw to second is there, you can turn and run back to first.

#41 3 years ago

The word "Freak" was first used in a magazine in 1895 Chicago, Il.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Pretty sure you can steal first from second, although it makes no sense to do it.
    I think another is if you are running from first to second when another batter hits. If he is forced out and the throw to second is there, you can turn and run back to first.

In this scenario the runner is already on first. LTG's question was 9 different ways a batter can get to 1st base.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from MajorDrainer:

While it’s a famous palindrome, it’s nowhere near the longest. A palindrome sentence could be infinitely long for that matter.

#44 3 years ago

Shaq only made one three-pointer in his entire professional career.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from MajorDrainer:

Favorite palindrome: taco cat

#46 3 years ago

I did some investigation, but i may need more. This is what i found:

https://www.torontomike.com/2008/01/23_ways_to_get_to_first_base.html

Here are the 23 ways you can get to first base.

1. walk
    2. intentional walk
    3. hit by pitch
    4. dropped 3rd strike
    5. failure to deliver pitch in 20 seconds
    6. catcher interference
    7. fielder interference
    8. spectator interference
    9. fan obstruction
    10. fair ball hits ump
    11. fair ball hits runner
    12. fielder obstructs runner
    13. pinch-runner
    14. fielder's choice
    15. force out at another base
    16. preceding runner put-out allows batter to reach first
    17. sac bunt fails to advance runner
    18. sacrifice fly dropped
    19. runner called out on appeal
    20. error
    21. four illegal pitches
    22. single
    23. game suspended with runner on first, that player is traded prior to the makeup; new player is allowed to take his place

#47 3 years ago

Here's another:

http://hilgens.blogspot.com/2007/06/9-ways-to-reach-first-base.html?m=1

9 Ways to Reach First Base

"My brother in law was chatting with me today and said he was told there were 9 ways to reach first base in MLB. So we started brainstorming and researching. We found people stating anywhere from 7 to 23 different ways. After the research, I do believe there are 9 different ways to score a batter to first base. Obviously there are tons of variations of each, but these are the ways it can be scored:
    1. Single
    2. Base on Balls (Walk)
    3. Fielder's Choice
    4. Hit By Pitch
    5. Fielding Error
    6. Dropped 3rd Strike (Passed Ball or Wild Pitch)
    7. Catcher's Interference
    8. Fielder Interference/Obstruction
    9. Batted Ball hits another runner before a fielder touches it

Any others?

This led me to poke around MLB's official rules and I found some wild stuff. How about these Catcher Interference Comments?

Rule 6.08(c) Catcher Interference
    Rule 6.08(c) Comment: If catcher’s interference is called with a play in progress the umpire will allow the play to continue because the manager may elect to take the play. If the batter-runner missed first base, or a runner misses his next base, he shall be considered as having reached the base, as stated in Note of Rule 7.04(d). Examples of plays the manager might elect to take:
    1. Runner on third, one out, batter hits fly ball to the outfield on which the runner scores but catcher’s interference was called. The offensive manager may elect to take the run and have batter called out or have runner remain at third and batter awarded first base.
    2. Runner on second base. Catcher interferes with batter as he bunts ball fairly sending runner to third base. The manager may rather have runner on third base with an out on the play than have runners on second and first.

I guess I had no clue that a manager gets to wait for the outcome of the play before deciding what scenario he would prefer, but it makes sense. I bet 90% of the time, the manager would take the run in the event of scenario #1 unless the team is down several runs later in the game. This has great resemblance to an offsides penalty in the NFL...based on the result of the play, you can decide to take or not take the penalty."

#48 3 years ago

Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday...

#49 3 years ago

Today is National Limerick Day.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Here are the 23 ways you can get to first base.

You forgot alcohol.

There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-know-random-fun-and-interesting-facts?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.