Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 493 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2662 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2671 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6798.png
    IMG_6744.png
    2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    map (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7470394_0 (resized).png
    D9478C4D-2A74-4F21-BEB9-9A9BD8ABD965.png
    8C25FFE9-7726-4D73-B312-F92BDE6B5435 (resized).jpeg
    87C99F8F-0675-455A-956F-EE759C72508C (resized).jpeg
    C46AA0A3-26D4-423D-A0F5-E85A6591595D.jpeg
    DC8808E4-3FC8-42FE-8B69-0C35088EC4B9.jpeg
    D43E0880-319A-400D-8709-637601E29AB0 (resized).png
    There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
    #301 3 years ago

In November 1969, a small tile bearing artworks of 6 prominent artists was left on the Moon on the Apollo 12 Lunar Module. Andy Warhol’s contribution to this “Moon Museum” project was a drawing of a dick.

3B31DC4D-81C9-49D0-BAE0-AA25A81126E2 (resized).jpeg3B31DC4D-81C9-49D0-BAE0-AA25A81126E2 (resized).jpeg
    #302 3 years ago

Although oxygen gas is colorless, liquid oxygen is blue.

Sb12371330_g (resized).jpgSb12371330_g (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #303 3 years ago
    8C495FE2-26FA-4858-AD11-D23021D296D3 (resized).jpeg8C495FE2-26FA-4858-AD11-D23021D296D3 (resized).jpeg
    #304 3 years ago

They made locks for rotary phones.

123C9370-9E5E-4210-A00E-3ED07B9CD421 (resized).jpeg123C9370-9E5E-4210-A00E-3ED07B9CD421 (resized).jpeg
    5 months later
    #305 2 years ago

Time to wake this thread up! I had forgotten it and almost started a new one.

This graphic surprised me at first, but makes sense upon reflection. Our "Blue Planet" is more like "painted blue"...

all-the-worlds-water (resized).jpgall-the-worlds-water (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #306 2 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

Hydrox cookies debuted in the U.S. in 1908. The similar Oreo cookie, introduced in 1912, was a knockoff of the Hydrox. The Oreo eventually exceeded Hydrox in popularity, which resulted in the Hydrox being perceived as an imitator, although it was the original.
    [quoted image]

There was an episode of Foods that Changed America about this.

#307 2 years ago

I'm a multi millionaire!

20210901_174013 (resized).jpg20210901_174013 (resized).jpg20210901_174111 (resized).jpg20210901_174111 (resized).jpg
    #308 2 years ago

The A38M Aston Expressway near Birmingham used to bisect a sauce factory, requiring a vinegar pipeline to be installed across the motorway.
    Said motorway is also unique in that it has seven lanes and no central reservation; somehow, in the nearly 50 years it's been operational there hasn't been a single fatal head-on collision.

#309 2 years ago

Studies have shown single men live longer than married men - but married men are more willing to die.

#310 2 years ago

TV stars Peter Graves (Mission: Impossible) and James Arness (Gunsmoke) were brothers.

70830843-30EB-46EF-B3D4-A47230EC84C4 (resized).jpeg70830843-30EB-46EF-B3D4-A47230EC84C4 (resized).jpeg
    #311 2 years ago

Genesis’ only #1 hit in the US - Invisible Touch - was knocked from the top spot by their former frontman’s only US #1 song:
    Peter Gabriel with Sledgehammer.

#312 2 years ago
    241312899_2306334042856291_2313514956445737981_n (resized).jpg241312899_2306334042856291_2313514956445737981_n (resized).jpg
    #313 2 years ago

And Paul Revere did not call out "The British are coming!" Ms. Ludington would not have, either, since there were British troops hiding out that would hear, and because not every colonial considered themselves rebels. Many were still loyal to Great Britain. These rides were planned and discreet.

#314 2 years ago

For those who romanticize a burial at sea, the company Eternal Reefs offers an innovative solution. It mixes the cremated remains of a person with concrete to create a "pearl" onto which loved ones can etch personal messages, handprints or (environmentally friendly) mementos. The pearl is then encased in a "reef ball" that is dropped into the sea, where it provides a new habitat for fish and other sea life, helping encourage a vibrant ecosystem.

https://www.eternalreefs.com/

3 weeks later
    #315 2 years ago

Year is 1920. One hundred years ago

Very interesting for all ages.

This will boggle your mind!

The year is 1920,"One hundred years ago."
    What a difference a century makes!
    Here are some statistics for Year 1920:

The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.

Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.

Only 14 percent of homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of homes had a telephone.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average US wage in 1919 was 22 cents per hour.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year.

A dentist earned $2,500 per year.

A veterinarian between $1,500 and 4,000 per year.

And, a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at home

Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION ! Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND in the government as " substandard ."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women washed their hair once a month and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed law prohibiting poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

The Five leading causes of death were:

1 Pneumonia and influenza
    2 Tuberculosis
    3 Diarrhea
    4 Heart disease
    5 Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars ...

The population of Las Vegas , Nevada was only 30.

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was neither a Mother's Day nor Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write And, only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were available over the counter at local drugstores. Back then pharmacists said: "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is a perfect guardian of health!" (Shocking?)

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help...

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.
    It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

#316 2 years ago

Did you know if you toss a pair of van shoes in the air they always land flat on their feet .tested with my own and sure enough .

#317 2 years ago

Did you know that ghost hauntings are caused by the brain reacting to dangerous mould spores?.Very dumb to enter old historic buildings without a mask. The beams are likely rife with dead nice decomposing in a nest of black mould.

#318 2 years ago

You breathe predominately through one nostril, which nostril it is changes every couple of hours.

Right handed people breathe more through their left nostril.

2 weeks later
    #319 2 years ago

We are all in "space," all the time.

When people say "space," they usually mean "outer space."

However, with Earth (and the Sun) moving at about 220,000 kilometers/second around the galaxy, and Earth's diameter being 6378 km, the very space you occupy WAS outer space less than 1/34th of a second ago, and will be again in another 1/34th of a second!

And if one considers our galaxy's motion relative to the Great Attractor and the Cosmic Background Radiation, it's even quicker than that!

#320 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Shaq only made one three-pointer in his entire professional career.

True but around the basket he was invincible..point machine

#321 2 years ago

I drive on the parkway and park on my driveway

#322 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

We are all in "space," all the time.
    When people say "space," they usually mean "outer space."
    However, with Earth (and the Sun) moving at about 220,000 kilometers/second around the galaxy, and Earth's diameter being 6378 km, the very space you occupy WAS outer space less than 1/34th of a second ago, and will be again in another 1/34th of a second!
    And if one considers our galaxy's motion relative to the Great Attractor and the Cosmic Background Radiation, it's even quicker than that!

When the Sun burns out it will be the end of intelligent life in the Cosmos, as far as we know right now.
    All Literature, Music, Science, Art, Technology, Architecture, History, rational observation. logic...
    Gone.

#323 2 years ago

Time to wake this thread up! I had forgotten it and almost started a new one.
    This graphic surprised me at first, but makes sense upon reflection. Our "Blue Planet" is more like "painted blue"...
    [quoted image]

I don't understand the point of this. We all know the water is on the surface and the earth is made up of solid and liquid rock. Oceans cover 70% of the outside of the earth with an average depth of 2.5 miles. That's a shit load of water. Are you advocating for more melting of the stored ice on the poles to help that graphic out?

#324 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I don't understand the point of this. We all know the water is on the surface and the earth is made up of solid and liquid rock. Oceans cover 70% of the outside of the earth with an average depth of 2.5 miles. That's a shit load of water. Are you advocating for more melting of the stored ice on the poles to help that graphic out?

This reminds me of Neil Degrasse Tyson saying that if the Earth were the size of a cue ball, it would feel perfectly smooth. Our mile-high mountains are only 1/7900th of the diameter of Earth. For a cue ball, that would be a bump only 0.0002” high.

#325 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The point is that what seems like a lot of water is not all that much, compared to the size of Earth. If it could be somehow pulled together into a sphere itself, that's how big all the water is compared to the planet. No one needs to advocate melting the ice caps -- that's already happening. Not a good thing.

Quoted from shirkle:

This reminds me of Neil Degrasse Tyson saying that if the Earth were the size of a cue ball, it would feel perfectly smooth. Our mile-high mountains are only 1/7900th of the diameter of Earth. For a cue ball, that would be a bump only 0.0002” high.

And if it were an apple, the entire atmosphere would be as thick as the peel.

#326 2 years ago

Count Chocula’s first name is Alfred.

59275ACE-90CE-4CB6-807A-D03E464E55A2 (resized).jpeg59275ACE-90CE-4CB6-807A-D03E464E55A2 (resized).jpeg
    #327 2 years ago

If there was a rope going all the way around the Earth at the equator snug to the surface, and you wanted to raise up the rope so it was one foot above the equator all the way around, you would only need about 6.3 feet of extra rope.

What’s more, that’s the same amount of rope you’d need if you did the same thing with a basketball, or any other sphere.

3 months later
    #328 2 years ago

German Chocolate Cake did not originate in Germany. It is named after Samuel German, an American baker who developed a sweet dark baking chocolate used in the cake’s recipe.

28B1F377-AB31-430F-BC2F-1B4042CA1A52 (resized).jpeg28B1F377-AB31-430F-BC2F-1B4042CA1A52 (resized).jpeg

#329 2 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

German Chocolate Cake did not originate in Germany. It is named after Samuel German, an American baker who developed a sweet dark baking chocolate used in the cake’s recipe.
    [quoted image]

And french fries didn't start in france

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #330 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

And french fries didn't start in france[quoted image]

Nor did French kissing, toast, bulldogs, dressing, horns, or braids!

#331 2 years ago

A jumping flea can reach three inches in a millisecond. Acceleration is the change in speed of an object over time, often measured in ‘g’s, with one g equal to the acceleration caused by gravity on Earth (32.2 feet per square second). Fleas experience 100 g during their jumps, ten times that which would kill any human. The flea’s secret to jump so fast is a stretchy rubber-like protein which allows it to store and release energy like a spring

#332 2 years ago

No matter where you go, there you are...

#333 2 years ago

This one blew my mind. Electrical power is not transmitted by electrons flowing through wires.

I'll say it again to help it sink in: Electrical power is not transmitted by the electrons flowing through the wires!

When "current is flowing," the electrons in a wire only move at something like a tenth of a millimeter per second, a far cry from the speed of light. The actual energy is contained in and propagated by the resultant electrical and magnetic fields around the wire!

2 weeks later
    #334 2 years ago

Lost things are always found in the last place you look
    becuase .............. no need to keep looking once you find it

#335 2 years ago

Did you know that traf spelt backwards is fart?

#336 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brewchap:

No matter where you go, there you are...

There is 2 of you in a mirror! If there is a mirror behind your mirror, there is an infinite you

#337 2 years ago

The gigantic Airbus A380 jumbo jet can hover? Not true, but...

#338 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

The gigantic Airbus A380 jumbo jet can hover? Not true, but...

Did you know I tried to start an Allied military thread and it was locked?

#339 2 years ago

Allegedly, if you could make your car fly, and you drove it straight up at 65 mph, it would take less than one hour to reach outer space.

#340 2 years ago

A friend told me if you wack off you won't go blind

#341 2 years ago

It never says Humpty Dumpty is an egg...

#342 2 years ago

This one blew my mind. Electrical power is not transmitted by electrons flowing through wires.
    I'll say it again to help it sink in: Electrical power is not transmitted by the electrons flowing through the wires!
    When "current is flowing," the electrons in a wire only move at something like a tenth of a millimeter per second, a far cry from the speed of light. The actual energy is contained in and propagated by the resultant electrical and magnetic fields around the wire!

Electrical engineer here, I saw that video. I then posted this question "Why would a wire get hot if there's no energy in it?"

That question wasn't answered.... I guess I could just run some 26 gauge wire from the pole to the house and call it a day.

#343 2 years ago

The closest state in the United States to Africa is Maine

#344 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Electrical engineer here, I saw that video. I then posted this question "Why would a wire get hot if there's no energy in it?"
    That question wasn't answered.... I guess I could just run some 26 gauge wire from the pole to the house and call it a day.

Shoving the electrons around, back and forth in the case of AC, even that slowly (~0.1mm/sec) does use up some of the energy, which (hopefully) dissipates as heat. But not in a superconductor.

#345 2 years ago

Shoving the electrons around, back and forth in the case of AC, even that slowly (~0.1mm/sec) does use up some of the energy, which (hopefully) dissipates as heat. But not in a superconductor.

But still, if the wire is dissipating heat, then there is energy in the wire, not just around it (as the video title states). They can't get around that relationship. It's been awhile since I've seen the video, and remember it was a bit abstract (translate: hard) to watch at the time, but the title seems misleading.

Honestly, I don't know if the video is correct or not, I'm not a Ph.D., just an old retired RF engineer that forgot Coulomb's Law long ago! But my simple question sort of brings up a sanity test regarding the title.

But here's an interesting fact related to electricity: The large power lines that carry our 60Hz energy? Most the current is near the circumference of the wire, 1cm deep. All the current basically within 5cm of the wire. Any larger diameter is wasting copper (but could be used for strength or heat dissipation). This is due to the 'skin effect'.

#346 2 years ago

A few more geographic items, then some general ones:

Crescent City, CA is closer to Vancouver, BC than to San Diego (by quite a bit actually).

Port Arthur, Texas is closer to the Atlantic Ocean off Jacksonville than it is to El Paso.

Century, FL to Chicago by car is only 6 miles further than it is to Key West.

Otherwise ...

All the light energy captured over the years by the Hubble Space Telescope from those galaxies and nebulas you've seen photos of amounts to fewer photons than hit your body while reading this sentence.

A planet has been found that's so hot ... ("How Hot Is It?") ... that it rains iron there. WASP-67b. Would that be anti-rust rain?

The famous "Cadillac Ranch" in Texas with the cars stuck upright in the ground lets visitors spray-paint art on them. It's all cleaned up periodically so people can start fresh. But if you go after it's rained, be aware the ground they're in gets really muddy!

There are other outdoor car art sites: CarHenge in Nebraska has Chevys arranged to match Stonehenge. A site near the Cadillac Ranch has VWs. There are several dozen cars and a school bus or two mired in the earth outside of Tonopah, NV. (Been to each.)

#347 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Lost things are always found in the last place you look
    becuase .............. no need to keep looking once you find it

Reclining lazy boy chairs are known to hide a few things!

#348 2 years ago

Ferrero purchases 1/4 of all the world's hazelnuts each year to make Nutella.

BF8871AC-3F84-4979-890B-764B858E82EB (resized).jpegBF8871AC-3F84-4979-890B-764B858E82EB (resized).jpeg
    #349 2 years ago

The TV jingle “Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.” was written by Barry Manilow.

#350 2 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

The TV jingle “Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.” was written by Barry Manilow.

As was 'Be a Pepper' and 'You deserve a break today...'

There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-know-random-fun-and-interesting-facts/page/7?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.