Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 493 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2662 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2671 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6798.png
    IMG_6744.png
    2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    map (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7470394_0 (resized).png
    D9478C4D-2A74-4F21-BEB9-9A9BD8ABD965.png
    8C25FFE9-7726-4D73-B312-F92BDE6B5435 (resized).jpeg
    87C99F8F-0675-455A-956F-EE759C72508C (resized).jpeg
    C46AA0A3-26D4-423D-A0F5-E85A6591595D.jpeg
    DC8808E4-3FC8-42FE-8B69-0C35088EC4B9.jpeg
    D43E0880-319A-400D-8709-637601E29AB0 (resized).png
    There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Budweiser and Bush are no longer "American" owned, InBev from Belgium owns them now.

Don’t get me started on InBev. Anheuser-Busch has one of their breweries in Williamsburg, so it was local for me, just like Smithfield. Ironically, after that AB buyout happened, I was actually pissed that my Becks was now being brewed in St. Louis instead of Germany! They didn’t drop the price any, though. It’s still marked up like an import. Plus, they dropped Beck’s Dark?!?

(I switched to Hofbrau Dunkel. It’s a much better beer, anyway. Check it out.)

My BMW was assembled in South Carolina. The Ford I was using as a daily driver not too long ago was assembled in Mexico. The truth of it is, we live in a global economy. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. Free market capitalism has raised the living standard for more people than any other force in history. The problem is that things go sideways with manipulated markets, crony-capitalism, tariffs, etc.

#252 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Anheuser-Busch has one of their breweries in Williamsburg,

I seen that plant many times while riding the amusement park rides nearby at Busch Gardens.

I still drink Natty, but if China had of bought them I would switch to something else.

I do my best to stay away from anything China. It is hard sometimes, nothing else available.

#253 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Budweiser and Bush are no longer "American" owned, InBev from Belgium owns them now.

True, but at least they still taste better than the hipster, craft beers.

#254 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

I agree 100%. I live next to one of the finest fisheries in the world. You wouldn't catch me dead in some chain seafood restaurant.

I hear you on this. It blows my mind that we have a Red Lobster in Annapolis. On the Chesapeake Bay. Blue Crab capital of the world...

Little tip for all of you seafood lovers out there: don't eat seafood in a restaurant that has carpet in it. Seafood, and in particular shellfish, is inherently messy and juicy. Carpet just soaks that up. All the good restaurants out here have surfaces that can either be mopped or sprayed down. If a place has carpet, then in my mind, they are just not serious about seafood. Form vs function and all of that...

I am sure that zombywoof would agree with me the best crab places have picnic tables and rolls of brown crab paper. Hose it down and you are ready for the next group of folks.

2 weeks later
    #255 3 years ago

In the opening credits of his 60’s TV series, Dick Van Dyke trips over an ottoman— paying tribute to Charlie Chaplin who likewise trips over an ottoman in his 1936 film Modern Times.

A38B64F0-6C90-43AC-ACDF-2D39D6A38B7A.gifA38B64F0-6C90-43AC-ACDF-2D39D6A38B7A.gif99F3B371-9F83-4567-9CBF-7B6E50C4F1C0 (resized).png99F3B371-9F83-4567-9CBF-7B6E50C4F1C0 (resized).png
    1 week later
    #256 3 years ago

..our planet is about to kick us off?

#257 3 years ago

Did you know that the first documented use of the word "mullet" (when referring to a hairstyle) was in 1994 by the Beastie Boys? Many think the term comes from the 80s and while it is possible, there is no concrete evidence to support that claim. Oxford English Dictionary has been seeking earlier references but have been unsuccessful.

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

..our planet is about to kick us off?

I, for one, support our new cockroach overlords!

#259 3 years ago

Okay so here's a fun fact, did you know that if you took all of the wires ,from all of the pinball machines( going by factory specs, does not include any mods) owned by all of the current pinside members and spliced all of the wires together end-to-end and laid them out in a straight line starting on the east coast of the US and heading west.......

None of the machines would work.

#260 3 years ago

Did you know the famous devil / rock rebellion hand sign originated from Ronnie James Dio Grandmother

#261 3 years ago

Natalie Schafer (born in 1900), who played the role of Mrs. Howell in the 60’s TV sitcom Gilligan’s Island, was more than 12 years older than her on-screen husband Jim Backus (born in 1913).

3EDEB808-CD68-45EF-BBA5-03F5F74CFA1D (resized).png3EDEB808-CD68-45EF-BBA5-03F5F74CFA1D (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #262 3 years ago

Mr. Clean’s first name is “Veritably.”

384AB0D5-A6A1-4D4A-9F43-21A78431D972 (resized).jpeg384AB0D5-A6A1-4D4A-9F43-21A78431D972 (resized).jpeg
    #263 3 years ago

Lighters were invented before matches.

3a8d4c0a42abcc2110b962e5cfba23ad (resized).jpg3a8d4c0a42abcc2110b962e5cfba23ad (resized).jpg
    #264 3 years ago

Not disposable butane lighters, they weren't.

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Not disposable butane lighters, they weren't.

You're right about that! Here's what the first "lighter" looked like. Looks kinda dangerous.

170px-Döbereiner_fire_gadget (resized).png170px-Döbereiner_fire_gadget (resized).png
    #266 3 years ago

Lighters have been around since the Stone Age.

tumblr_nxty38kQZ11sqf5tdo1_400.giftumblr_nxty38kQZ11sqf5tdo1_400.gif
    #267 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

Here's what the first "lighter" looked like.

LTG : )

fire (resized).jpgfire (resized).jpg
    #268 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Lighters have been around since the Stone Age.[quoted image]

You can start a fire with a flint stone!

#269 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

...or piss your wife off

1 week later
    #270 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

When I was a scout, you had to do that to earn your Firem'n Chit (among other things).

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

...or piss your wife off

Wait, you can piss off your wife with a flint stone? (Couldn't you chuck just any old stone at her?)

Or start a fire by pissing off your wife? (Assuming arson is her go-to retort?)

Or is it a reference to Fred Flintstone smoking above, somehow? I'm lost.

#272 3 years ago

The name and logo of the Thunderbird car was named after Thunderbird CC in Ranch Mirage in the 1950s. First convertible was delivered to the club for a member.

One of the assistant pros there is credited with inventing the electric golf cart.

I was given a job there to practice for the upcoming college season in 1980. Oral Roberts the televangelist was a golfing buddy. I became acquainted with Pres Ford. He lived next to Leonard Firestone who would hand you a $50 when he encountered you. He only had a $100 one time and told me to remind him he gave me a hundred last time. I had short term memory loss.

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Wait, you can piss off your wife with a flint stone? (Couldn't you chuck just any old stone at her?)
    Or start a fire by pissing off your wife? (Assuming arson is her go-to retort?)
    Or is it a reference to Fred Flintstone smoking above, somehow? I'm lost.

Have a drink and relax Dan.

#274 3 years ago

Don't piss off your wife. Light one up for her, too.

cigs-flintstones-gif.gifcigs-flintstones-gif.gif
    #275 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

Don't piss off your wife. Light one up for her, too.
    [quoted image]

I knocked on a neighbor's door who lived a couple doors away in the 80s. It was the voice of Wilma who said yes I'm Wilma right away. She must have retired in San Clemente. It was freaky as her voice was so recognizable.

#276 3 years ago

Lucille Ball was the one that gave the original Star Trek the “green light”.

#277 3 years ago

More people go to Zoo's every year than attend ALL major sporting events combined!*

*At least before the 'rona

1 week later
    #278 3 years ago

When externally attaching a boat to a floatplane, it is best practice to face the boat backwards.

#279 3 years ago

AC/DC is releasing a new album

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:

When externally attaching a boat to a floatplane, it is best practice to face the boat backwards.

That's cool.

We used to literally kick the front windshields from 911 Porsches from a front seat to replace or just remove. Someone would stand a couple feet from the front of the car and catch the front windshield. I thought it was crazy the first time I did it, then I kind of enjoyed doing it as it looked funny as hell. It was an old timers trick in early 80s.

#281 3 years ago

According to volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, the Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.

Note it doesn't say socket.

#282 3 years ago

Did you know...that the penis can also be used for peeing?

#283 3 years ago

jamesmc What kinda prep do you have to before kicking it out?

#284 3 years ago

A blue whale can excrete up to 200 litres of poo in one bowel movement

#285 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

That's cool.
    We used to literally kick the front windshields from 911 Porsches from a front seat to replace or just remove. Someone would stand a couple feet from the front of the car and catch the front windshield. I thought it was crazy the first time I did it, then I kind of enjoyed doing it as it looked funny as hell. It was an old timers trick in early 80s.

VW's back in the day popped out like that too.

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

It was the same glass and gasket parts for both bugs and 911s for many years. I think 67-89.

#287 3 years ago
    Quoted from zenbone:

wine is fine, but whiskey is quicker. it is also said that suicide is slow with liquor

I’ve always known,I can lick her quicker with liquor.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from aFineMoose:

jamesmc What kinda prep do you have to before kicking it out?

I had a detail shop at Laguna Porsche in early 80s. I was asked by friend mechanic to help when they needed me to kick it out. Not sure what they did.

Quoted from poppapin:

Many people don't realize that Ferdinand Porsche designed the first gasoline/electric hybrid car. He designed the first Volkswagen beetle. He designed the Porsche 356 (bathtub model), not the 911. He died in 1951. Pretty amazing man.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Many people don't realize that Ferdinand Porsche designed the first gasoline/electric hybrid car. He designed the first Volkswagen beetle. He designed the Porsche 356 (bathtub model), not the 911. He died in 1951. Pretty amazing man.

His first car was all electric, his hybrid came a little later. He designed the Bug.

His son Ferdinand or " Ferry" designed the 356. Ferry started repairing, building and selling sports cars to raise money for his dad's 'ransom.'

The French were holding him as a war criminal for designing Panzer tanks, being a senior Nazi party guy, and using forced labor during the war. What they really wanted was for him to restart the French automobile industry, and he refused.

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

His son Ferdinand or " Ferry" designed the 356. Ferry started repairing, building and selling sports cars to raise money for his dad's 'ransom.'

You are correct. Ferry designed the 356. Talented engineers.

#291 3 years ago

A barrel of crude oil is only 42 gallons, not the common barrel size of 55.

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from zenbone:

wine is fine, but whiskey is quicker. it is also said that suicide is slow with liquor

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker...

#293 3 years ago

Everything moves at the speed of light through spacetime.

We have mass, so we experience it as time. The faster we move, the more time slows down for us to compensate, albeit imperceptibly. Photons have no mass, so they "experience" it as moving at 300000 km/s.

#294 3 years ago

Percy Spencer, who invented the microwave oven after a candy bar melted in his pocket while he was playing with a magnetron (the tube, not the pin!), received no royalties for his invention, but was paid a one-time $2.00 gratuity from Raytheon, the same token payment the company made to all inventors on its payroll at that time for company patents.

#295 3 years ago

please delete post

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Adolf Hitler wanted The Three Stooges dead.

True but they were Jewish too and he would have wanted them for that too.

Twice as much water is underground as above.

Quoted from pinsanity:

Lighters have been around since the Stone Age.[quoted image]

I miss smoking ads. I don't smoke but they do take me back to when I was young and could go to the store and buy them for my relatives.

#297 3 years ago

The weight of the air above a swimming pool averaging 8 feet deep is about 10 times the weight of the water in the pool.

Light from the sun reaches Earth in about 8 minutes. If there was air between sun and earth, sound from the sun would reach us in about 13 1/2 years.

Kodak invented the digital camera in the 1970's, but didn't run with it - - oops!

Miami Beach is due south of Erie, PA.

Yes, if you go due south from Reno, you'd eventually enter the Pacific Ocean just west of Santa Barbara, about 100 miles west of LA. Likewise, Lake Tahoe is further west than Malibu. And if you go due east from the southern tip of Malibu at Point Dume, you'll eventually enter the Atlantic Ocean at Kure Beach near Wilmington, NC.

Angle Inlet, MN is the northernmost town in the continental US, but you have to drive through 60 miles of Canada to get to it; you'll have to bring your passport.

It does snow in Death Valley National Park; Telescope Peak, at 11,043 feet, regularly gets quite a bit of it:

A145453_006 (resized).jpgA145453_006 (resized).jpg
    #298 3 years ago

A can of Diet Coke floats in water, but a can of regular Coke will sink.

28DB18CF-1EBE-41EC-B8D7-178C578293AD (resized).jpeg28DB18CF-1EBE-41EC-B8D7-178C578293AD (resized).jpeg
    #299 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

A can of Diet Coke floats in water, but a can of regular Coke will sink.

Well had to watch a youtube video on that which led to watching a video on making 1886 coca cola recipe, which lead to 10 Coca-Cola drinks that embarrassed the company which led to how Doritos were made from Disneyland Trash ... Damn Internet.

#300 3 years ago

Isaac Newton spent his last years arguing with the King and Govt, that Joseph Scaliger, who was tasked in the middle 1500s,
    was wrong in his attempts to unify the empires calendars.
    Until then, there were vast differences in what "Year" we were in.
    Scaliger used the Biblical 33 years for a ruler, when the information wasnt available.
    Newton argued this causes too many errors, as well as over calculating the Dark Ages.
    His work is called, Called "Chronology of Ancient Kingdoms"

It is one reason, dating of Ancient Egypt, and Historical writings along with dating techniques have anomalies we struggle with today.

A great read, if you can also weed out what seems "wrong", in your own views.

Anatoly Fomenko has done some amazing work....and some errors, imo, on using math, and the movement of stars, eclipses, and comets, to create a unique calendar and history. Just weird.

There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-know-random-fun-and-interesting-facts/page/6?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.