Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 493 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2662 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2671 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6798.png
    IMG_6744.png
    2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    map (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7470394_0 (resized).png
    D9478C4D-2A74-4F21-BEB9-9A9BD8ABD965.png
    8C25FFE9-7726-4D73-B312-F92BDE6B5435 (resized).jpeg
    87C99F8F-0675-455A-956F-EE759C72508C (resized).jpeg
    C46AA0A3-26D4-423D-A0F5-E85A6591595D.jpeg
    DC8808E4-3FC8-42FE-8B69-0C35088EC4B9.jpeg
    D43E0880-319A-400D-8709-637601E29AB0 (resized).png
    There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Built in 1964 , Iowa 80 TruckStop is the worlds largest one.

Yes! thank you!! I was there long ago on a road trip and have been struggling to remember its name and location. Thanks for scratching that itch.

9663_WTS_0340 (resized).jpg9663_WTS_0340 (resized).jpgSA_SuperTruckShowroom (resized).jpgSA_SuperTruckShowroom (resized).jpgzzForWebsite_02 (resized).jpgzzForWebsite_02 (resized).jpg

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Yes! thank you!! I was there long ago on a road trip and have been struggling to remember its name and location. Thanks for scratching that itch.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Stop there every time I make the 5-hour drive to Chicago or any place else I’m going in that direction. Impressive no matter how many stops I make there.

#103 3 years ago

Here is the REAL Hippo poop video. The farting sound was of course fake. They may fart, but they don't make a sound like some idiot making a fart sound with their mouth.

#104 3 years ago

My understanding is there are 15 fueling islands stationed. Would love to know what amount of fuel is used say around October to End of December

#105 3 years ago

The similarities of Abraham Lincoln and JFK have been widely discussed. Snopes went through them and gave the "widely and continuously reprinted and circulated list" as having the following items:

Both presidents were elected to Congress in '46.
    Both presidents were elected to the presidency in '60.
    "Lincoln" and "Kennedy" each have 7 letters.
    Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
    Both wives lost a child while living in the White House.
    Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
    Both were shot in the head.
    Both were shot in the presence of their wives.
    Lincoln's secretary, Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theatre. Kennedy's secretary, Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.
    Both were assassinated by Southerners.
    Both were succeeded by Southerners.
    Both successors were named Johnson.
    Both successors were born in '08.
    Both assassins, John Wilkes Booth and Lee Harvey Oswald, were born in '39.
    Both assassins were known by their three names.
    Each assassin's name is composed of fifteen letters.
    Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse; Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.
    Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

#106 3 years ago
    20200514_154225 (resized).jpg20200514_154225 (resized).jpg
    #107 3 years ago

The oldest US capital is Santa Fe New Mexico founded in 1610.

#108 3 years ago

There are twice as many kangaroos in Australia than people.

A majority of koalas have chlamydia.

Tasmanian devils don't spin around but they do make a growling noise so the Looney Tunes cartoons were half right.

The Australian Army once declared war against the emu - and lost.

Five of the top ten most poisonous snakes are native to Australia and as a native animal it is illegal to kill them.

#109 3 years ago

The average Human heart beats over 100,000 times per/day.

A sneeze exists the human mouth at over 100 mph.

#110 3 years ago

North Korea and Cuba are the only countries in the world where you can't buy a coke.

#111 3 years ago

The average fluffy cloud floating over your head on a sunny summer day actually weighs about 1.1 million pounds.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

North Korea and Cuba are the only countries in the world where you can't a coke.

Coca (leaf) Cola (nut) original formula was invented as a medicine to offset the effects of the inventor John Pemberton's morphine abuse due to civil war injuries. The formula was inspired by a wine of the day (Vin Mariani) featuring coca leaves which was reportedly one of the Pope's favorites. Pictures are of a replica 1900 era coke dispenser. There are times I would like to be invigorated.

20200516_055705 (resized).jpg20200516_055705 (resized).jpg20200516_055730 (resized).jpg20200516_055730 (resized).jpg20200516_055721 (resized).jpg20200516_055721 (resized).jpg
    #113 3 years ago

And today when I want "the real thing", I have to buy the Mexican version of one of our country's most famous products.

20200516_055558 (resized).jpg20200516_055558 (resized).jpg
    #114 3 years ago

Did you know, Mexican Coke and regular Coke taste exactly the same?

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Did you know, Mexican Coke and regular Coke taste exactly the same?

Absolutely untrue. There is a big difference between real sugar and corn syrup.

But much of the “mexican coke” is bottled in the US.

#116 3 years ago

I challenge anyone here to post the exact formula for making Coca Cola.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

And today when I want "the real thing", I have to buy the Mexican version of one of our country's most famous products.

During Passover, you can often find Coca Cola made with real sugar in the Kosher section. It will have a triangle on the side with C R C on it. Chicago Rabbinical Council.

LTG : )

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Absolutely untrue. There is a big difference between real sugar and corn syrup.
    But much of the “mexican coke” is bottled in the US.

Sugar tastes sweet and that is all. Coca-Cola's own research indicates no discernable difference in taste between so-called Mexican Coke and regular.

No wonder, all sugar tastes sweet, and that's all it tastes. Those who rail against HFCS are ignorant, it's actually "better" for you in that it tastes sweeter with fewer calories than plain corn syrup. The "highness" of the fructose is intentional, it just means added, not excessive. But it's a mixture of sugars, and tastes exactly like all sugar.

I won't argue that it's not somehow subectively better drinking it from glass, same as beer. But in a blind taste test they are indistinguishable. The opposite of "a big difference"!

#119 3 years ago

I was under the impression that coca cola and pepsi cola just sell the syrup and bottlers distribute. I think there are over 70 for coca cola in US. When in Hawaii the cans of soda often contain cane sugar which tastes different to me. The Mexican soda definitely has a better taste because of the bottle. But everyone at our house agree it tastes different from the smaller bottle coke, which we all like too. Trivial differences, but I can't drink alcohol anymore so I enjoy soda or pop. I remember drinking Henry Weinhards beer when I was young, and now I drink their root beer, vanilla creme, and orange cream. I haven't grown much as a human.

20200516_135553 (resized).jpg20200516_135553 (resized).jpg
    #120 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

I was under the impression that coca cola and pepsi cola just sell the syrup and bottlers distribute. I think there are over 70 for coca cola in US.

While once true, there has been some major consolidation with the bottlers and the syrup makers.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

I was under the impression that coca cola and pepsi cola just sell the syrup and bottlers distribute.

When I was in Kiev in October 1997. Pepsi tasted like Coke, and Coke tasted like Coke. Was warm, they didn't refrigerate it. I did discover if I left it in my room, it was colder than if I put it in the refrigerator.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

While once true, there has been some major consolidation with the bottlers and the syrup makers.

Last I read in Jan 2019 "there are 68 independent coca cola bottlers running their own trucks and bottling operations as a fully refranchised system". For me, part of the fun is the sound my coke machine makes after it takes your dime and you choose your soda. My granddaughter and I can't get cheap fun like that in a can.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Sugar tastes sweet and that is all. Coca-Cola's own research indicates no discernable difference in taste between so-called Mexican Coke and regular.
    No wonder, all sugar tastes sweet, and that's all it tastes. Those who rail against HFCS are ignorant, it's actually "better" for you in that it tastes sweeter with fewer calories than plain corn syrup. The "highness" of the fructose is intentional, it just means added, not excessive. But it's a mixture of sugars, and tastes exactly like all sugar.
    I won't argue that it's not somehow subectively better drinking it from glass, same as beer. But in a blind taste test they are indistinguishable. The opposite of "a big difference"!

You must work for BIG AG /s.

I’m not railing against corn syrup And don’t care they use it in most foods. But there is a difference and it is noticeable to people, including me.

The sweetness of syrup is temperature dependent. Sugar is consistent at all temps. That’s why it is sold in areas that don’t have a lot of refrigeration and ice.

Switching to syrup is the reason new coke was released and then replaced with corn syrup Classic.

As noted above, one of the other factors in taste is the glass bottle is neutral but plastic bottles have a taste.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Last I read in Jan 2019 "there are 68 independent coca cola bottlers running their own trucks and bottling operations as a fully refranchised system". For me, part of the fun is the sound my coke machine makes after it takes your dime and you choose your soda. My granddaughter and I can't get cheap fun like that in a can.

With Coke in the USA specifically, about a decade or so ago they bought out the largest bottler. It represented something like 75-85% of the market at the time. They continued to try and consolidate for years. About 2-5 years ago they had a change of heart and “refranchised” the bottlers. Not to familiar with that part of the story. (Edit: I suspect they wanted to get away from the true independent bottler model and go with the McDonalds franchisee model. They technically don’t own them, but the bottlers have no power to exert their independence).

Other bottlers have consolidated amongst themselves and been bought out by the syrup makers as well.

#125 3 years ago

The sweetness of syrup is temperature dependent. Sugar is consistent at all temps. That’s why it is sold in areas that don’t have a lot of refrigeration and ice.

Interesting, but this could only possibly matter if you drink your Coke warm. Blech.
    Okay, how about: Mexican and regular Coke taste indistinguishable at proper serving temperature.

Switching to syrup is the reason new coke was released and then replaced with corn syrup Classic.

No, no, no, that is not what happened. From Wikipedia:
    In fact, Coca-Cola began allowing bottlers to remove up to half of the product's cane sugar as early as 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke. By the time the new formula was introduced, most bottlers had already sweetened Coca-Cola entirely with HFCS.

Oh yeah, another fun fact: Pepsi sucks! Can we at least agree on that?

Deep delve into HFCS and why it's unfairly vilified: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/high-fructose-corn-syrup/

#126 3 years ago

Carol Baskins did not kill her husband.

#127 3 years ago

Pepsi>Coke

#128 3 years ago

Royal Crown / Dr.Pepper, spanks Coke or Pepsi.

#129 3 years ago

I would much rather drink Mexican Pepsi than American Coke. I drink Mexican Fanta as well. Tastes different than anything here. Sugar and in bottles. Most say they remember this taste from their childhood when they drink them at our house.

#130 3 years ago

Love the old RC Cola before the advent of the lemon twist.

#131 3 years ago

Boy was this different marketing for mountain dew. The coke bottle was a family type glass size I had never seen before.

20200516_154006 (resized).jpg20200516_154006 (resized).jpg

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Boy was this different marketing for mountain dew.

Yaa Hoo Mountain Dew. It'll tickle your innards.

#133 3 years ago

That's actually a pretty accurate way to describe how I feel after drinking mountain dew.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

North Korea and Cuba are the only countries in the world where you can't buy a coke.

E0053FF7-0422-4E7C-A832-51F3DFA82020 (resized).jpegE0053FF7-0422-4E7C-A832-51F3DFA82020 (resized).jpeg
    #135 3 years ago
    999E72AE-B3F9-43E5-94D4-073C757AF2C4 (resized).jpeg999E72AE-B3F9-43E5-94D4-073C757AF2C4 (resized).jpeg
    #136 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

I said you couldn't buy "a" coke, not buy coke, why else is Dennis there!

#137 3 years ago

The first time a pin was ever shown in a movie was in The Women of His Life 1933

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Boy was this different marketing for mountain dew. The coke bottle was a family type glass size I had never seen before.
    [quoted image]

Is that an old Vendo bottle dispensing machine?

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Is that an old Vendo bottle dispensing machine?

Yes. Local guy passed who worked for Pepsi. He kept it in nice original condition.

20200518_024908 (resized).jpg20200518_024908 (resized).jpg
    #140 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

If the exploding cigar wasn't feasible then type-2 diabetes was the backup.

#141 3 years ago

The inventor of Pringle’s, Frederic Baur, is buried in a Pringle’s can.

#142 3 years ago

:

Quoted from Jaybird815:The inventor of Pringle’s, Frederic Baur, is buried in a Pringle’s can.

Sounds fitting!!

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Sometimes you gotta let those hard to reach chips go

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

He was cremated, it was not a 'life size' can. Sorry if that lets a little wind out of the sail.
    Apparently he had a great sense of humor.

#145 3 years ago

Larry LaPrise, who wrote the song and dance classic 'The Hokey Pokey' died at 93. His funeral only had one big problem. While transferring Larry to his coffin, they put his left leg in and that's when the trouble began.

#146 3 years ago

Did you know that 1970's lonely, horny potheads were known as weed whackers.

#147 3 years ago

Your fingernails grow faster on your dominant hand.

#148 3 years ago

Water makes different pouring sounds depending on its temperature.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from Londonpinball:

Water makes different pouring sounds depending on its temperature.

That is true. If it's really really really cold. It goes clunk.

#150 3 years ago

Think about it...
    Your tongue knows what every thing you look at would feel like...

Try it, look at a random object and you will know what it would feel like if you touched it with your tongue.

There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-know-random-fun-and-interesting-facts/page/3?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.