Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 493 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2665 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2662 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2671 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6798.png
    IMG_6744.png
    2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    map (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7470394_0 (resized).png
    D9478C4D-2A74-4F21-BEB9-9A9BD8ABD965.png
    8C25FFE9-7726-4D73-B312-F92BDE6B5435 (resized).jpeg
    87C99F8F-0675-455A-956F-EE759C72508C (resized).jpeg
    C46AA0A3-26D4-423D-A0F5-E85A6591595D.jpeg
    DC8808E4-3FC8-42FE-8B69-0C35088EC4B9.jpeg
    D43E0880-319A-400D-8709-637601E29AB0 (resized).png
    There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
    #451 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

So the real loser was probably Wisconsin.

Not the only way Wisconsin got screwed, it was to originally include Chicago!

Sad, how the reason why involves slavery...

map (resized).jpgmap (resized).jpg
    #452 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Not the only way Wisconsin got screwed, it was to originally include Chicago!
    Sad, how the reason why involves slavery...
    [quoted image]

Everyone else in Illinois would gladly give Chicago back to Wisconsin if we could.

#453 1 year ago

And here’s a Canada corollary for my “southern” neighbors.

2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg2E67900A-1FB8-42FA-A7FA-9913DDF4B1C4.jpeg
    #454 1 year ago

Did you know under great controversy 2000 years ago, it was a trend that to blend in with others, Adult circumcized Hebrews, would visit businesses to reattach Foreskin....Josephus....I cant imagine the social debate!

#455 1 year ago

Steel balls are made from wire.

#456 1 year ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

Steel balls are made from wire.

Manufacturing processes are extremely fascinating. We take so many things for granted, and don't realize what it takes to make ordinary products.

#457 1 year ago

Alligator mating season starts April 1st

2 weeks later
    #458 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Alligator mating season starts April 1st

What happens if alligators are caught mating before April 1st?

#459 1 year ago

The “S” in scent is actually silent

#460 1 year ago

Suffer, Euphoria, and Ferret all have the same origin.

IMG_6744.pngIMG_6744.png
    #461 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What happens if alligators are caught mating before April 1st?

Their mommies and daddies ground them!

1 week later
    #462 1 year ago

Africa is wider than Russia.

IMG_6798.pngIMG_6798.png
    #463 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

Africa is wider than Russia.
    [quoted image]

On flat maps, the farther north or south a landmass is, the bigger it looks. That's because the earth is round, but when a map is shown in a flat format, this distortion is the result.
    For example, Greenland looks huge on a flat map, but when you see it on a globe, it's not nearly as large.

#464 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

On flat maps, the farther north or south a landmass is, the bigger it looks. That's because the earth is round, but when a map is shown in a flat format, this distortion is the result.
    For example, Greenland looks huge on a flat map, but when you see it on a globe, it's not nearly as large.

Yep, but I still find map trivia based on that phenomenon trippy. It’s like, I know it’s true but it still makes me dizzy.

I like maps…maybe because I have approximately zero sense of direction naturally.

IMG_6800.jpegIMG_6800.jpeg
    #465 1 year ago

The sum of any multiple of 9 will add to 9.
    (This was probably posted earlier but too drunk to search)

#466 1 year ago

According to Reader's Digest...
    There are approximately 20 quadrillion ants on Earth. That's 2, followed by 16 zeros. Their total weight is estimated to be greater than that of all the world's wild birds and mammals combined!

#467 1 year ago

Now that is a fascinating fact!

1 week later
    #468 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

According to Reader's Digest...
    There are approximately 20 quadrillion ants on Earth. That's 2, followed by 16 zeros. Their total weight is estimated to be greater than that of all the world's wild birds and mammals combined!

That’s a cool fact I’ve always thought about that when I’m trying to stay one step ahead of the nests across from my property. Some days I feel like I’m taking a 0 off that number.

#469 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve always thought about that when I’m trying to stay one step ahead of the nests across from my property.

Something that can help.

Take a shovelful of dirt and ants from one nest, and then in a different part of your yard throw it on a different nest. If they go to war once they get the queen, then two weeks later no more ants from those nests.

LTG : )

2 weeks later
    #470 1 year ago

If you could move as fast as light you could zip around the world seven times in a second!

#471 1 year ago
    Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

If you could move as fast as light you could zip around the world seven times in a second!

And time would stand still!

#472 1 year ago

Akshually ,

Quoted from jrpinball:

And time would stand still!

For you, that is. More precisely, time would cease to exist, and you would exist at all points along your path simultaneously.

Also, you would attain infinite mass, more massive than any black hole, so you would subsequently swallow up the Earth which you were trying to show off by orbiting 7x/s.

If all that sounds silly, it is because it is impossible to accelerate any mass to light speed.

The fact that light speed means light can circle the globe 7x/sec is amazing enough, why drag an impossibility into it?

#473 1 year ago

NY and NJ argued over which state Staten Island should belong to. NJ eventually won out and NY had to take it.

Also, Virginia goes further west than West Virginia.

#474 1 year ago

Akshually ,

For you, that is. More precisely, time would cease to exist, and you would exist at all points along your path simultaneously.
    Also, you would attain infinite mass, more massive than any black hole, so you would subsequently swallow up the Earth which you were trying to show off by orbiting 7x/s.
    If all that sounds silly, it is because it is impossible to accelerate any mass to light speed.
    The fact that light speed means light can circle the globe 7x/sec is amazing enough, why drag an impossibility into it?

You are very correct, Dan!

#475 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Something that can help.
    Take a shovelful of dirt and ants from one nest, and then in a different part of your yard throw it on a different nest. If they go to war once they get the queen, then two weeks later no more ants from those nests.
    LTG : )

That's awesome Lloyd!!! Thanks for sharing that

#476 1 year ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

NY and NJ argued over which state Staten Island should belong to. NJ eventually won out and NY had to take it.

Staten Island should secede from NYC!

#477 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

That's awesome Lloyd!!! Thanks for sharing that

Yeah, same. That brought back memories of the time I inadvertently started an ant war. I was all of 7 or 8, and I was making them fight by catching some black ants in a jar and then inverting it over a red ant hill. I came back out the next day and... dead ants everywhere!

That was the extent of my insect torturing career, thankfully. Now, the neighbor kid...

#478 1 year ago

why drag an impossibility into it?

It's a fun way to give a perspective on how fast you'd be going and what might happen if you could actually do it and also it gives smart people like you a chance to show off their knowledge.

1 month later
    #479 12 months ago

Did you know if you own a "recently" manufactured vehicle, it has a "black box".
    Not sure if this was posted before, but in light of a recent discussion with my automobile insurance provider, felt it worthy of a post:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marinamedvin/2019/01/08/your-vehicle-black-box-a-witness-against-you-in-court-2/

#480 12 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Did you know if you own a "recently" manufactured vehicle, it has a "black box".
    Not sure if this was posted before, but in light of a recent discussion with my automobile insurance provider, felt it worthy of a post:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marinamedvin/2019/01/08/your-vehicle-black-box-a-witness-against-you-in-court-2/

Yup. Big Brother is everywhere!

3 months later
    #481 8 months ago

The longest wedding veil was longer than 63 football fields.

A woman set the record in Cypress According to the Guinness book of world records

#482 8 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

A woman set the record in Cypress According to the Guinness book of world records

I think that record will stand for a while!

#483 8 months ago

Of course as soon as the bride took a step, she got whiplash!

#484 8 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm somewhat skeptical of that "record", that's over 3 1/2 miles (3.579545, to be exact, which is, to the last decimal place, exactly the same as a NTSC color TV sub carrier frequency in MHz, quite a coincidence)

#485 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mthomasslo:

I'm somewhat skeptical of that "record", that's over 3 1/2 miles (3.579545, to be exact, which is, to the last decimal place, exactly the same as a NTSC color TV sub carrier frequency in MHz, quite a coincidence)

Maybe she was marrying a TV repairman?

#486 8 months ago

One of the four 45x90 (four points on Earth which are halfway between the geographical poles, the equator, the Prime Meridian, and the 180th meridian) in the world is in WI. Two are in the ocean and two on land with one of those in China.
    https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wisconsin/wi-45-90-parallel/amp/

#487 8 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Of course as soon as the bride took a step, she got whiplash!

I know you're joking, but she was riding in a car.

Quoted from Mthomasslo:

over 3 1/2 miles

They must be counting the end zones, as it was 6962.6 meters long, which is 22843+ feet, which divided by 63 would be 362ish feet or just over 120 yards.
    (Over 4.3 miles)

#488 8 months ago
    Quoted from pinwhoo:

One of the four 45x90 (four points on Earth which are halfway between the geographical poles, the equator, the Prime Meridian, and the 180th meridian) in the world is in WI.

Been there!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RjQpyYPVd2ztx5rz7

Sadly, the little park's marker is in the wrong place! So close, and yet so far...

1 month later
    #489 7 months ago

I’m fascinated by this map of regional terms used to describe athletic footwear. I’m originally from Chicago and have always called them “gym shoes.” It’s wild that only folks in Chicago and Cincinnati prefer that term.
    So I was surprised to find local “City-Opoly” board games sold out West with a token piece called a “Gym Shoe.”
    But then… Aha! Made in Cincinnati, Ohio!

IMG_2671 (resized).jpegIMG_2671 (resized).jpegIMG_2665 (resized).jpegIMG_2665 (resized).jpegIMG_2662 (resized).jpegIMG_2662 (resized).jpegIMG_2663 (resized).jpegIMG_2663 (resized).jpeg
    #490 7 months ago

The term "tennis shoe" is annoying to me. Why would I wear a tennis shoe to play basketball?

#491 7 months ago

For the same reason you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.

Now who wants to smash some watermelons?

Man I miss Gallagher.

#492 7 months ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

You might want to urban dictionary the term smash, it also means different things in different parts.

#493 7 months ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

For the same reason you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.
    Man I miss Gallagher.

That's a rather incongruous comparison.

There are 493 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-know-random-fun-and-interesting-facts/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.