Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rudy68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Did you keep or sell your 1st Pin...?!”

• Never...It was my 1st. 145 votes
      56%
    • Sold it. 85 votes
      33%
    • Sold it but miss it everyday. 23 votes
      9%
    • Couldn’t get rid of it fast enough...! 4 votes
      2%

(257 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Red Full (resized).jpg
    IMG_7573 (resized).JPG
    0EE3E9A4-471C-4C93-9583-A65C8438A078 (resized).jpeg
    30009028-55C0-42D2-BC61-C1D22CD27E12 (resized).jpeg
    mia (resized).jpg
    251936_10150834873012924_674738616_n (resized).jpg
    Pinball1998-3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1699 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_0001 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DE6568D9-4086-4707-87C8-41C8829E730D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0716 (resized).JPG (© M`=-0987654321`)

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe.
    I played it in Aladdin's Castle at the local mall. Even more at the student center at UofL. And finally at a pub i frequented in my 20's. If I were to ever own a pin, it was gonna be that one.

Went to the Louisville Arcade Expo and fell in love with pinball all over again after a long absence. Started scouring Craigslist and found one in pretty good shape with a few issues.

Fast forward 7 or 8 years and the collection is up to 9.

This pin would be the very last to leave.

#52 5 years ago

When you spend weeks sifting through pictures of inventory of cheap EMs at the Pinball Parlour in Landsdale, PA, circa 2002, and pick a really sweet game like Argosy to be your first, and spend $340 on it plus get a free set of rubber...well, of COURSE you still have your first game. It's sitting in my apartment right now!

When you dive into the hobby with nothing but a bunch of cash and a Pinside top 100 list, of course you are gonna end up selling your first game within 6 months.

People should spend a lot less money on their first game than they generally do these days.

#53 5 years ago

My first pin was a raven, so noooo long gone. I think it only lasted like three months before I moved onto better pins.

#54 5 years ago

First game was a Bally Star Trek in really nice shape that I bought in the mid 80's for $250. Played fantastic, but wasn't a keeper for me. Routed it in a video store I used to work in for a couple of years, then sold it to a Star Trek collector.

#55 5 years ago

I still have my first and will likely be the last to go. It's also been one of the most solid machines I've owned. It's an Italian re-import that well used but played great. I've done nothing much other than a new playfield and plastics. I haven't played it for months, but seeing this today reminds me I should.
    When I first picked it up:
    When I first picked it upWhen I first picked it up
    After new playfield:
    After new playfieldAfter new playfield

#56 5 years ago

Super Mario Bros is long gone. Great theme, but that's pretty much all it had going for it.

#57 5 years ago

Stern Meteor is never going anywhere unless someone wants to offer me enough to buy three of them. I love this game and in a weird way I feel like it is a part of me. This game holds all that pinball means to me, the passion, the personality. It's where I discovered my love of early SS machines and opened a door to a wonderful hobby. So. Yeah. Meteor is bolted to the floor.

#58 5 years ago

Twilight Zone - 1997 - still here even after many others have come and gone.

#59 5 years ago

Still have it. I accidentally bought a tftc off ebay. I sent an offer to the seller and didn't know if they accepted it you bought it. The wife wasn't to happy about it at first. The game was delivered on my wedding day and had to have by brother in law sit at my house and wait for it.

#60 5 years ago

First pin was Addams Family. Bought in 2001 and still have it. Probably will never leave.

#61 5 years ago

T2, sold, got another 2 which were sold.

#62 5 years ago

Sold, bought, and sold again. Certainly don't hate it, but there are so many good machines out there that I have little desire to bring it back a third time.

#63 5 years ago

Bought my first pin in like 1990 when I was 16. Big Kiss fan and found a Kiss pin for $300. Sent my Dad to pick it up as I had to go to work sacking groceries but bought it with my own money. Got home from work that night and it was set up in my room... I had scored the Ultimate kiss collectible. Never thought about buying more games at that time....fast forward to 2010 and all I wanted to do was play a game of Pacman and well you can figure the rest out. Did a full restoration on my Kiss 4 years ago so I still have it.....would be the last to go probably.

#64 5 years ago

Star Race was my first and I still have it. My wife will have to sell it after I'm gone cause it will not be before!!!

#65 5 years ago

Road Kings
    Sold it and miss it. However..... I sold it to RotorDave and it is now a permanent piece in his System 11 collection. I hope to play it again someday!!

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Road Kings
    Sold it and miss it.

You definitely need therapy if you miss it.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You definitely need therapy if you miss it.

Haha! Hey, at least it’s no Bugs Bunny!

#68 5 years ago

STTNG - bought in 2011 for $2600 and I still have it.

#69 5 years ago

Oh I can see it now...the Houston crew goes to crash Rotordave to play Road Kings. Would an epic PARTY!!!

#70 5 years ago

Where's the choice of "Left it in my home when I moved out and my nephew lived there and he sold it for meth?"

It was a Baazar in 1982

#71 5 years ago

My first pin was Williams Grand Lizard, got it in trade for a Sega Hang-On arcade( the deluxe big red bike version) some...6-7 years ago now, still in the gang.

#72 5 years ago

I'm facing this same decision. 1st pin was a T2. I've fixed it up nice and pretty and played it for several years now. It holds no more surprises for me, so I've been thinking of selling it. Problem is the wife doesn't want me to sell it b/c sentimental reasons. Says I'll regret it.

It sits in the corner rarely played, unless we have friends over. Because like someone else said, everyone loves Arnie.

But if I sell it to a friend who will promise me right of 1st buyback, that seems like a deal.

So I'd say sell it, but be prepared to want to buy it back again.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

I'm facing this same decision. 1st pin was a T2. I've fixed it up nice and pretty and played it for several years now. It holds no more surprises for me, so I've been thinking of selling it. Problem is the wife doesn't want me to sell it b/c sentimental reasons. Says I'll regret it.
    It sits in the corner rarely played, unless we have friends over. Because like someone else said, everyone loves Arnie.
    But if I sell it to a friend who will promise me right of 1st buyback, that seems like a deal.
    So I'd say sell it, but be prepared to want to buy it back again.

I've sold 30, only regretted selling 2. So,the odds are in your favor.

#74 5 years ago

Twilight Zone was the first game I bought in 2004 and it would be one of the last games to leave my collection.

#75 5 years ago

Lots of TZ and AF up in here....

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Lots of TZ and AF up in here....

Seriously. Sell me one so I can profess to keep it forever as well.

#77 5 years ago

Classic Stern Big Game was my first.
    Never played one before
    but went ahead and bought it.
    Easy decision really, it had it all:
    drops, pops and shots
    AND three spinners!
    So glad I bought it instead of passing
    and no...will never sell.
    After me my son gets it and he too has called it a keeper.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I've sold 30, only regretted selling 2. So,the odds are in your favor.

Which two? Do tell!

#79 5 years ago

William's Indiana Jones.

Still have it. Pretty sure I'll be buried with it.

#80 5 years ago

Bride of Pinbot.

Still have it but have been mulling the idea of moving it along...

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I still have my first and will likely be the last to go. It's also been one of the most solid machines I've owned. It's an Italian re-import that well used but played great. I've done nothing much other than a new playfield and plastics. I haven't played it for months, but seeing this today reminds me I should.
    When I first picked it up:
    [quoted image]
    After new playfield:
    [quoted image]

Nothing other than a new playfield?

Man pretty much stock!

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Classic Stern Big Game was my first.
    Never played one before
    but went ahead and bought it.
    Easy decision really, it had it all:
    drops, pops and shots
    AND three spinners!
    So glad I bought it instead of passing
    and no...will never sell.
    After me my son gets it and he too has called it a keeper.

I only count two spinners on Big Game. Did you MOD it?

#84 5 years ago

2010 Bought my first pin - Bally Embryon for $300 - not working.
    Totally rebuilt all of the boards in it using Clay's guide & it worked perfectly. It's never leaving!

#85 5 years ago

Harlem Globetrotters, bought in 1989 when a tax return came in bigger than I expected. Instead of paying the rent I put the money towards a genuine necessity of life...

Sold it about 10 years ago as I was running out of room, but I do really miss playing it.

The question is - of all the other amazing machines out there, do you think your first pin is better than all of the others that one day might fill that gap in your line-up of five?

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I only count two spinners on Big Game. Did you MOD it?

Awesome!
    Williams Blackout has three spinners and I want a Blackout SOOO bad that I
    I actually applied that fact to Big Game.
    I can't believe I did that.
    Oh man, I got it bad...
    You are correct, only two spinners on Big Game.
    Nice catch, my fault.

#87 5 years ago

Mine was CV and i still own it. Now i havent been collecting as long as many here. Only 3 years this Dec. I thought i would only get just one so i splurged. how ridiculous to think there’s such a thing as only one...

#88 5 years ago

evel Knievel, kept it about 6 years then finally sold it, its hard to let that first one go.

#89 5 years ago

1st I bought was a Gottlieb High Hand in 2000. I worked at a swim club in the early 70's at age 14 owned by my neighbor. One of my duties at a whopping $2.50 an hour was to clean the pinball machines and empty the coin boxes. All the games were early Gottlieb from the 60's with push the balls up to play. The owner bought a new High Hand, so modern compared to the other pins. I loved it and it didn't hurt I could play for free as much as I wanted. Ended up buying two and made one really nice one but sold it after a few years. It just got to easy to turn it over. My daughter cut her pinball teeth on it and now that she's grown and living on her own I'd would probably buy one as a gift to her since she stills mentions it. I used to take her to Allentown every year when it the Pinball Wizards Convention.

#90 5 years ago

First pin was The Getaway and still have it. Had it for a very very long time. I don’t play it as much as my other pins but it is still a great game and can’t bring myself to sell it!

#91 5 years ago

My first purchase was two non working games. EBD I will keep forever, Motordome was fun but was traded.

#92 5 years ago

Completely lucked out and got a HUO TZ off of Craigslist from an honest Pinsider at a good price. It was a 50th birthday present from my wife who knew I always wanted a pin but didn't no what she was unleashing. Can't imagine ever letting it go.

#93 5 years ago

JOEY DONT GO IN THERE

Holy shit this is amazing. What's even more amazing is it's CURRENT TOUR.

#94 5 years ago

I bought my 1st pin 2 1/2 years ago , a Gottlieb Royal Guard..I didn’t know anything about how they worked/troubleshoot it. I now know how to fix score reels, steppers, relays/eos etc..thanks to pinside and google! Its still 1 of my fave games n still kicks my ass most of the time. It’ll stay w me for a long time..

#95 5 years ago

Can't find the black and white vid from seats above pit, it was insane, but found this. This was just a couple days ago.
    TheLaw South Murica does do it stronger. Whaddaya know.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

JOEY DONT GO IN THERE
    Holy shit this is amazing. What's even more amazing is it's CURRENT TOUR.

Dude that’s nuts.!!!..I looked it up earlier when you mentioned it...it’s also nuts to see they still draw crowds like that after all these years...good for them...too old for that shit now...but I was a pit whore in my younger years...closest to this was a Fishbone concert...we had a 1000+ people in a huge circle pit...never forget it...Violent Femms was there as well...good stuff..........Joey

#97 5 years ago

Firepower was my first, a $100 Sandy-damaged pin that taught me a lot about replacing, fixing, and especially de-rusting. Sold it to make room for others, figuring on replacing with a better condition one in the future.

#98 5 years ago

I’d walk down the stairs to my living room and exclaim “Holy Crap, there is a pinball machine... in my house!”.

My Evel Knievel is long gone. I swapped it for a Grand Lizard (also long gone). Since I did that trade that EK was restored. After that it had a playfield swap, and I knew the guy that the guy I traded it to sold it to. So, I was talking to him, and I told him I wanted to buy the old playfield. And he gave it to me... wow. So in the end, I now have the old playfield out of the first game I ever owned.

#99 5 years ago

I sold, it but now have it back (not the exact pin!).
    A well worn $150 1976 Williams Grand Prix purchased in Clovis, NM was my first pin. It followed me through 20 years of Air Force moves. I ended up selling it to make room for DMD games almost 20 years ago when I caught the pinball bug. I always missed that pin. Now I have room for more pins and chased after some of the nice GPs from other pinsiders, but none would let their prized possession go (even at some ridiculous prices). Two years ago I found a GP from a pinsider in Idaho, had it shipped directly to HEP and its currently being brought back to life!

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I’d walk down the stairs to my living room and exclaim “Holy Crap, there is a pinball machine... in my house!”.
    My Evel Knievel is long gone. I swapped it for a Grand Lizard (also long gone). Since I did that trade that EK was restored. After that it had a playfield swap, and I knew the guy that the guy I traded it to sold it to. So, I was talking to him, and I told him I wanted to buy the old playfield. And he gave it to me... wow. So in the end, I now have the old playfield out of the first game I ever owned.

Cool story!

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-keep-or-sell-your-1st-pin/page/2?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.