Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rudy68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Did you keep or sell your 1st Pin...?!”

• Never...It was my 1st. 145 votes
      56%
    • Sold it. 85 votes
      33%
    • Sold it but miss it everyday. 23 votes
      9%
    • Couldn’t get rid of it fast enough...! 4 votes
      2%

(257 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Red Full (resized).jpg
    IMG_7573 (resized).JPG
    0EE3E9A4-471C-4C93-9583-A65C8438A078 (resized).jpeg
    30009028-55C0-42D2-BC61-C1D22CD27E12 (resized).jpeg
    mia (resized).jpg
    251936_10150834873012924_674738616_n (resized).jpg
    Pinball1998-3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1699 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
    IMG_0001 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DE6568D9-4086-4707-87C8-41C8829E730D (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0716 (resized).JPG (© M`=-0987654321`)
    There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I thought it would be fun to hear some stories of your 1st pin...Someone local put up a wanted ad and also a price check and it happens to be my first pin...I’m out of room at 5 but just don’t know if I can part with any let alone my 1st...So my hope is to read what others did with their 1st to sway me one way or the other...
    You can say the title or not..I didn’t reach out to the person yet as why I didn’t list the title...Thank you to those that chime in...........Joey

#2 5 years ago

My 'first pin' was actually two project pins I bought at once. I still have one, and the other I sold to a friend from high school.

#3 5 years ago

My TZ is my first pin in 2008. I still have it, but I did loan it out for a 1.5 years. It is back again and time for some maintenance.

Not sure if I will sell it anytime soon.

#4 5 years ago

My first game was lost world Jurassic Park I still own it and will probably never get rid of it.

#5 5 years ago

My first game was Whitewater. I did sell it but only to buy a better condition one.

#6 5 years ago

My first was lah. Loved the pin but could never get the crane to work properly. Decided to do it a favor by selling it to a local pinsider who could. (Fixed day 1)1st and last used pin I'll ever buy from a retailer.
    2nd pin...tftc man do I wish I could get that one back for what I sold it for.

#7 5 years ago

My first Pin was Silverball Mania, not really a favorite for most but I really enjoy playing it. The main reason I would not sell it is that It was such a basket case when I got it and I really cut my teeth on pinball repair with getting that game working and looking nice. Put way too much money into it for what it's worth but just the history of all the learning and work I did on it I don't think I can ever part with it! The fact I still play it a lot helps even though many think it's a dog I love it for play and my history with it!

#8 5 years ago

DE SW. Awesome pin but had to move it to free up cash flow. Would love another one in the future, but not a must have.

#9 5 years ago

My first pin was High Speed and I sold it after 72 hours only because it happened to be a long weekend otherwise I would turfed it in under 48 hours

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

My first Pin was Silverball Mania, not really a favorite for most but I really enjoy playing it. The main reason I would not sell it is that It was such a basket case when I got it and I really cut my teeth on pinball repair with getting that game working and looking nice. Put way too much money into it for what it's worth but just the history of all the learning and work I did on it I don't think I can ever part with it! The fact I still play it a lot helps even though many think it's a dog I love it for play and my history with it!

I haven't been an owner of my first pin for very long (Dirty Harry), but I don't think I will ever part with it. I also cut my teeth on this machine and treated it like a labor of love. Spent way too much money and time restoring it to ever think of selling it. Well, unless someone trades an Earthshaker or Funhouse for it.

#11 5 years ago

Still own it.

#12 5 years ago

Still have my I500. Not saying I'll never sell it, but I'll never sell it.
    Joey did ya see that vid of Corpse in Chile? On Hammer Smashed Face the entire floor became one giant pit. It was insane. Get ready!

#13 5 years ago

I sold my first pin (T2) but I still have my second pin (TAF), now 16,5 years !!!

#14 5 years ago

I took my first pin in in 1976.... Has been in my possession since!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

My TZ is my first pin in 2008.

Same here, still here

#16 5 years ago

Sold my first pin -Star Wars episode 1.

#17 5 years ago

Bought a SMB at an auction fully working for $625 after fees. Bought it back and sold it a few times. Last time I owned it was 7-8 years ago

#18 5 years ago

Bought my TX Sector in about 1995 and still own it. Don't see myself selling it. I'd sell others before that.

#19 5 years ago

DP Rollergames. Still own it.

#20 5 years ago

First game was Aladdin's castle. It was given to be broken as a house warming gift by my father in law. Do I love the game? Not really. Will I keep it forever? You betcha.

#21 5 years ago

NGG. Never leaving. Still have a blast trying to put a high score on it.

#22 5 years ago

I had a Hurricane as my first pin in 1996 but I wasn't a 'collector', just had it in the house for fun. Sold that to buy Scared Stiff in 2001 which really started my collection. I still have it 17 years later. As a matter of fact, Scared Stiff has been out on route for about 18 months making me some $$$. It's already paid itself off.

#23 5 years ago

First game was a $75 yard sale find. Gottlieb 2001. My mom got it for my dad, who promptly lost interest in fixing it. I found clay’s guides online and fixed it the summer I was going into 8th grade.

We still have the game. Imho, 2001 is an all time great wedgehead.

#24 5 years ago

I got my first game in February, a Doozie. I'm still not done shoping it. I'm going to be buried in it.

#25 5 years ago

First pin was a players pin*bot and i still have it and don't think ill ever get rid of it

on a side note, my first arcade game was a Street Fighter II that I ended up selling to one of my best buds who still has it.

#26 5 years ago

NBA Fastbreak was my first game. I purchased it about a year in a half ago. I remember my Dad asking me "Are you sure you want to do this?" Fast forward two hours later after setup, and he is telling me how awesome it is to have a pinball machine in my basement. Now he comes over to play AFMr and DI all the time.

Back to my NBAFB, it was a great game, but not a deep rule set. Once I started completing wizard mode on almost every game, it was time to let go. I sold it to a local bar and visit it time to time.

#27 5 years ago

Nope. Getaway got away. I have limited space and funds so it had to go for something new. I didn't really want to sell it but got to where I didn't play it much. Gameplay was too easy and already beat the game countless times.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

I haven't been an owner of my first pin for very long (Dirty Harry), but I don't think I will ever part with it. I also cut my teeth on this machine and treated it like a labor of love. Spent way too much money and time restoring it to ever think of selling it. Well, unless someone trades an Earthshaker or Funhouse for it.

Quoted from homebrood:

Same here with Space Shuttle. Learned much of what I know about pins working on it and learning how to fix things. 2 years later I have 7 and prefer to find them broken . It would likely be the last one to go for that reason, but it also happens to be a great game. People love it when they come over and don't know pinball very well because it isn't too punishing, and my friends into pins like it because it's fun to play with the lock stealing over a few beers. Plus sweepable drop targets! Plus the theme is just a cool reminder of something that doesn't really exist anymore - which is also a bummer ha!

#29 5 years ago

Bought a Williams Indiana Jones back in 1999 down in Chevy Chase MD (at a car dealership). The owner put personal games at his dealership for people while they waited. He said no one liked the steep IJ ramps, so he sold it to me for a whopping 1500 (game is super nice with the only issue being slight fade on one side of the cab). I sold it off about 8+ years ago and quickly regretted it. Well this summer, it came up for sale ....my same exact machine. So now IJ is back where it belongs in my collection

#30 5 years ago

My first machine was a 1956 United Shuffle (Handicap). It was apart and came mostly in boxes.
    I spent much time on that machine and learned a lot. I had 3 other Handicaps (still have one) in
    nicer condition, but because it's my first machine, it's still in the game room right where I first parked
    it back in the early 90s..
    As for the first pin, I'll always keep the Grand Prix, and also still have my 2nd (Team One), and I believe
    Drop-a-Card was my 3rd which I still have..

IMG_0716 (resized).JPGIMG_0716 (resized).JPG
    #31 5 years ago

Sold it. Space odyssey, wish I still had it but the gameplay was painfully slow compared to modern stuff. Fun em tho.

#32 5 years ago

Road Show was my first pin which I bought 8 years ago at the York show. Kept it for about 2 years, and in that time added Scared Stiff (which I still own). Told myself I wouldn't own more than 2 games, so I had to let something go...and Road Show it was, so I sold it. I do miss it, and sometimes think about buying another one.

Needless to say, it is 8 years later and now I typically have 6 pins in my collection...so much for only 2! I am truly at my max with 6, however...no more space!

#33 5 years ago

Sold it to fund a second one, currently on machine #6, trying to eventually flip a machine worth enough coin after restore to pick up my grail TAF.
    I typically try to sell my restores for cash plus another project machine to keep my inertia and the "end goal" of the grail. I will say that the cocktail pin (Vegas was my first) have a special place in my wish list!

#34 5 years ago

Thank you guys...great stuff... ...sold it was way in the lead BUT kept it is catching up fast...!!!...........Joey

#35 5 years ago

First game overall, North Star. Never gonna leave.

First DMD TZ, sold.

First SS Space Station, sold but shouldn't have as I miss having it.

First Led/Lcd/HD TV display game, Hobbit Smaug (Still having fun playing it)

#36 5 years ago

Police Force was the gateway pin that got me addicted to this hobby. I have sold and traded a lot of pins since my first but Police Force is still in my collection and I don’t plan on letting it go anytime soon.

DE6568D9-4086-4707-87C8-41C8829E730D (resized).jpegDE6568D9-4086-4707-87C8-41C8829E730D (resized).jpeg
    #37 5 years ago

PinBot is still with me.

#38 5 years ago

My first game was Getaway. I’ve thought about selling it a lot over the years. So far it hasn’t drawn the short straw.

#39 5 years ago

Target Alpha., 2006. I traded a pocket PC and some cash for it. Sold it as "Fully shopped" and shipped it. I feel a little bad about that description now. I did buy new rubber and probably cleaned it a bit, but not shopped in the sense I'd use now. The guy didn't complain.

I've since bought and sold that title 2 more times. If I had more room I'd keep one in the lineup.

#40 5 years ago

First machine was a player's T2. Bought it "fully working" without knowing anything about pinball machines, and ended up fixing or replacing practically everything little by little over a 2 year span. Taught me everything from scoop repair to complete topside teardowns, comprehensive shop jobs, circuit board troubleshooting....you name it, I probably had to do it. Also taught me that bringing machines back from hanging on to life-support is much more satisfying than just buying and playing them. Which also taught me that I'm a sadist.

Funny part is, with prices being what they are today, I'd probably break even if I ever sold it.....but there is too much pride in the work I put into it to let it go. Plus, EVERYONE loves Arnold.

#41 5 years ago

Sell it ??? No way! Instead I transformed her into 2.0

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #42 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

PinBot is still with me.

Purchased 1990 from arcade.

#43 5 years ago

My first pin was Bally Strikes and Spares that I found in a garage sale for $100. I was riding a bike back home when my wife tried to distract me, of course I looked the other way and saw the pin in front of the house. Fully working and in great condition, although some wear on the playfield.
    Loved playing the game for few years, but in my moment of weakness I sold it to buy another one (not thinking I could have two) - silly me, still regret that and miss the pin. On a related note, anyone looking to sell QC Strikes and Spares...

#44 5 years ago

still got it Abracadabra. That was probably 15 years ago!!

#45 5 years ago

Sold my first older pins but my first new pin was PotC and I still own that. It’s not the best game but it’s hard for me to let it go plus I started the Potc owners page so it’s also a bit investment in that.

#46 5 years ago

And KEEP it takes the lead...!!!..Great stories gents...really appreciate it...gives me a lot to think about..........Joey

#47 5 years ago

Sell them if you tire of them, bring in something new, that's my motto. For me, I love the thrill of the hunt. After awhile, machines get stale in a small collection.

#48 5 years ago

I kept my GnR for quite a while, but when a friend said he wanted it and showed up with a pile of Benjamins, I was more than happy to oblige him.

#49 5 years ago

1st pin, Taf, bought it 10 years ago. Routed and in pretty bad shape, although mostly working. (Broken ramp and plastics, missing topper, magnet burn, corroded mpu, etc. Can't wait to finally swap that new cpr playfield in this winter and redo the cabinet!
    And no, it's never leaving, not while I'm still kicking.

#50 5 years ago

Bought royal rumble in 2003 and rarely played it after first few months and got into arcades instead.Fast forward to this past winter . My grandson's interest in pinball and going to louisville expo with him got me reenergized. Sold most of arcades and rumble pin and bought gotg, 4 ems and f2k. Couldn't be happier.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-keep-or-sell-your-1st-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.