Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Did you ever walk away from a shop out for 6 months”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151107191416433_(resized).jpg
    20151108024642815_(resized).jpg
    P1010009_(resized).JPG
    P1010002_(resized).JPG
    P1010035_(resized).JPG
    P1010008_(resized).JPG
    DSCN4678_(resized).JPG
    20160416_112713_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 7 years ago

I started my LOTR 6 months ago. Since then I have shopped out 15 pins for 2 operators. Yesterday I decided to go look at the game. Well I said I have another game here for an op, but it can wait so I can get this one done. First of all LOTR is not that easy of a pin to begin with, Unless its just been so long since I stripped it. I did my old STTNG and was easy compared to this. I have went back and forth on this game, putting parts on then having to take them off as I forgot something. I will never walk away from a pin to start another one from here on out. Maybe it would not have been too bad if I wouldn't have shopped so many pins since then. Has this ever happened to you?

#2 7 years ago

I started my Fish Tales in 2011. I finished it this year. Good things take time.

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

I do step away for long periods of time, but I keep a notebook where I write down a numbered step by step list of the parts I remove, and I also put a piece of tape on each part with a number that matches the number on the list. Lastly, I take a picture of each numbered step and save those pics to a folder on my laptop's hard drive, just in case I get stumped. These things help immensely.

I currently have to start putting together a Dr. Who playfield I took apart in December. I had the playfield touched-up and cleared by Kruzman, which took about 4 months (it turned out sooooo beautiful - plug for Kruzman). Add on 1 month for the clear to cure, and 1 more month of feeling lazy, and I'm 6 months out.

#4 7 years ago

Yes, my BSD has been in pieces for almost a year.

#5 7 years ago

I step back from machines alot. I have machines I haven't looked at in 3 year's.

#6 7 years ago

Yes. Happens a lot. No need for a hurry. If I really don't feel like working on it...why do it? It's a hobby so I decide.

#7 7 years ago

I walk away from shop jobs or restorations also. This is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. If you don't feel like working on a machine you won't enjoy it. If your not enjoying it, your doing it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I feel guilty when I walk by a machine that's been sitting for 3 months, half done and in pieces. At some point I always get the urge to jump back into it. They always get finished but rarely as quick as I'd like.

#8 7 years ago

Well, there has been this shadow machine of mine. that I took apart the day before st Patricks day. March 16th. Still apart today. that's because everything is broken

20160416_112713_(resized).jpg20160416_112713_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I started my Fish Tales in 2011. I finished it this year. Good things take time.
    rd

It looks like Hercules makes a wonderful work bench.

#10 7 years ago

Yes- pinball is a hobby- I will have more time for it when I retire! Until then- I have stopped worrying about how long I have had a game in pieces. Mechanical is fast but repaint just takes forever. And ever....

#11 7 years ago

It seems like I put everyones pins first. I took a step back and said I'm doing mine. I haven't had a machine to play in months. And now its time to play my LOTR! But with that being said I might have to sell it as I had a lot come up in the last few days so we will see.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It looks like Hercules makes a wonderful work bench.

Yeah, it's good for something.

That reminds me, I better get around to fixing that too.

rd

#13 7 years ago

I don't start projects, I don't finish.
    If I don't have the time, it gets shelved, or the game goes into storage.
    "Summer is a time to be outdoors".
    Most long term collectors (ie restorers) have a constant que, and technicians even longer.
    I have three PF swaps that will lie dormant until next winter.

#14 7 years ago

This one's going on six weeks now. But I plan on finishing it tomorrow..

DSCN4678_(resized).JPGDSCN4678_(resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago

AFM - took it apart around Jan 2014... Only just got it working again (with some help from a friend) mid-2016. Lots to do before it's really playable though!
    New PF, ramps, all parts cleaned and/or replaced, LED OCD, mods, etc...

#16 7 years ago

I have....at least 4 pins that are apart in some stage of restoration that I tore down in around 2011 or 2012...all the pieces are boxed and marked and I have pics (in a lap top that has since died) since I retired from doing restorations for others, I just haven't been into putting them back together. I am about to rectify that though, cause I want Alien Poker back up to play and Jokerz! is also begging to have the PF put back together. The cabs are all done and the PFs cleared, I just haven't had a chance to put them back together yet...I did just finish getting Fathom back together this Spring...so I'm at least moving in the right direction!! Oh and it isn't a pin, but I re stenciled Hubby's Robotron cab for him (it had been down for about 2 years waiting for me to finish bondoing the cab and getting it ready to repaint... If you look in the background on the shelves of the workbench, most of those boxes contain PF parts for the ones I haven't put back together yet...

Phoebe

P1010008_(resized).JPGP1010008_(resized).JPG
    P1010035_(resized).JPGP1010035_(resized).JPG
    P1010002_(resized).JPGP1010002_(resized).JPG
    P1010009_(resized).JPGP1010009_(resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

I've been procrastinating on my Gottlieb Sinbad--I haven't touched it since November. I need to finish working on the playfield and finish testing the electronics with the playfield attached.

Someone moved a post and made an extra hole that I would need to fill and repaint. The colors are also a bit faded. I've also bought two spare unpopulated playfields that I thought I could swap, but both of those had their own set of issues, so I wouldn't really be gaining much by swapping.

So, I've been reluctant to proceed much further while other projects have passed through. But, finishing it off would free up some space. I really should finish it off at some point...20151108024642815_(resized).jpg20151108024642815_(resized).jpg20151107191416433_(resized).jpg20151107191416433_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-you-ever-walk-away-from-a-shop-out-for-6-months and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.