(Topic ID: 72239)

Did this letter from Williams mark the end of factory playfield Mylar?

By RustyLizard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dgpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

022.JPG

#1 10 years ago

I thought this was kind of interesting. This letter came with a Bad Cats. Has anyone seen a BC with factory Mylar? Any games after this date have it?

022.JPG022.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Poor adhesion had nothing to do with it.

Their XR-7 project was almost at the end of it's testing phase and would be unveiled as Diamond Plate that following year.

The *real* reason for no more full playfield mylars.

#3 10 years ago

I saw a letter like that in an Earthshaker I had as well

#4 10 years ago

My Bad Cats has factory mylar.

#5 10 years ago

An EATPM I had came with the same letter

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My Bad Cats has factory mylar.

Does yours have a painted cab or decals?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Poor adhesion had nothing to do with it.
Their XR-7 project was almost at the end of it's testing phase and would be unveiled as Diamond Plate that following year.
The *real* reason for no more full playfield mylars.

I thought of that but there were games where some had Diamondplate and some didn't. Wouldn't they have considered Mylar on those that didn't?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Does yours have a painted cab or decals?

painted

#9 10 years ago

As far as I understood it, even with DiamondPlate playfields, the ops could order the full mylar set and install it themselves. I know for certain this is what happened with my TAF. There's a little piece of dirt under it that would've never passed inspection at the factory.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I thought of that but there were games where some had Diamondplate and some didn't. Wouldn't they have considered Mylar on those that didn't?

The early DP playfields had various types of issues when it was released. It was horrible!

I remember WMS actually putting full playfield mylars *over* the Diamond Plate in the meantime until they got it right. They didn't want to scrap all of those playfields.

During that time, you could still buy the full playfield mylars.

7 months later
#11 9 years ago

I believe exactly 10 years later to the day - WMS shut down forever. Oh the Irony

#12 9 years ago

I'm no English professor but I don't think that is ironic.

#13 9 years ago

I just heard this story, I think from RGR podcast hardware flash back. Operators where complaining that when they were removing mylar, that playfield paint was sticking to it, therefore stopped applying at factory and shipping them with games separate. This way operators who didn't want it didn't have to have it and operators who did want it,could apply it themselves.

#14 9 years ago

Whether the reason they did it was because of DP coming or not, anyone who has removed the mylar from a F-14 will attest to the problems that the mylar was causing.!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-this-letter-from-williams-mark-the-end-of-factory-playfield-mylar?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.