Forum Topic

Forum » Game manufacturers » Bally/Williams » Did this letter from Williams mark the end of factory playfield Mylar?

Did this letter from Williams mark the end of factory playfield Mylar?

No one calls this topic a favorite.

By RustyLizard

1 year ago

Stats

• Started 1 year ago
  • 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dgpinball

Find posts in this topic

Show only posts in this topic that match certain words or are written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 1 year ago

I thought this was kind of interesting. This letter came with a Bad Cats. Has anyone seen a BC with factory Mylar? Any games after this date have it?

022.JPG022.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

#2 1 year ago

Poor adhesion had nothing to do with it.

Their XR-7 project was almost at the end of it's testing phase and would be unveiled as Diamond Plate that following year.

The *real* reason for no more full playfield mylars.

#3 1 year ago

I saw a letter like that in an Earthshaker I had as well

#4 1 year ago

My Bad Cats has factory mylar.

#5 1 year ago

An EATPM I had came with the same letter

#6 1 year ago
indypinhead said:

My Bad Cats has factory mylar.

Does yours have a painted cab or decals?

#7 1 year ago
Magic_Mike said:

Poor adhesion had nothing to do with it.
Their XR-7 project was almost at the end of it's testing phase and would be unveiled as Diamond Plate that following year.
The *real* reason for no more full playfield mylars.

I thought of that but there were games where some had Diamondplate and some didn't. Wouldn't they have considered Mylar on those that didn't?

#8 1 year ago
RustyLizard said:

Does yours have a painted cab or decals?

painted

#9 1 year ago

As far as I understood it, even with DiamondPlate playfields, the ops could order the full mylar set and install it themselves. I know for certain this is what happened with my TAF. There's a little piece of dirt under it that would've never passed inspection at the factory.

#10 1 year ago
RustyLizard said:

I thought of that but there were games where some had Diamondplate and some didn't. Wouldn't they have considered Mylar on those that didn't?

The early DP playfields had various types of issues when it was released. It was horrible!

I remember WMS actually putting full playfield mylars *over* the Diamond Plate in the meantime until they got it right. They didn't want to scrap all of those playfields.

During that time, you could still buy the full playfield mylars.

#11 1 year ago

I believe exactly 10 years later to the day - WMS shut down forever. Oh the Irony

#12 1 year ago

I'm no English professor but I don't think that is ironic.

#13 1 year ago

I just heard this story, I think from RGR podcast hardware flash back. Operators where complaining that when they were removing mylar, that playfield paint was sticking to it, therefore stopped applying at factory and shipping them with games separate. This way operators who didn't want it didn't have to have it and operators who did want it,could apply it themselves.

#14 1 year ago

Whether the reason they did it was because of DP coming or not, anyone who has removed the mylar from a F-14 will attest to the problems that the mylar was causing.!

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.