(Topic ID: 36828)

Did they really only sell 4 Whoa Nellies?

By vid1900

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20121120_145412.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I just talked to a guy who insists that they only ever sold 4 of those super cool Whoa Nellie.

I though it was a fun game with a great theme, great artwork.

Anyone know the Backstory?

#2 11 years ago

From what I've read, it wasn't like they put it for sale and only sold 4.

They decided to only make 4 or however many it was in the first place, wasn't meant to be mass produced..

#3 11 years ago

I heard 4,

but the section on Whizbang on PBL says only 3...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=285&pg=1

#4 11 years ago

or right from the "horses mouth" here:

http://www.whizbangpinball.blogspot.com/

#5 11 years ago

I played it at the Colorado pinball showdown. Fun game. but 14.5 k for a re-theme? Maybe if money was no object.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just talked to a guy who insists that they only ever sold 4 of those super cool Whoa Nellie.
    I though it was a fun game with a great theme, great artwork.
    Anyone know the Backstory?

Yes, Dennis and Greg only made and sold four. I had the pleasure of spending a weekend in Dennis' garage, along with a few other pinheads helping put togther the first one. I wasn't sure there was going to be much for me to do, but I ended up populating most of the first playfield and helping install things in the cabinet. It was a weekend I won't soon forget.

#7 11 years ago

I've seen a pic out there somewhere showing Dennis, Greg and the four buyers. Damned if I remember where, though.

#8 11 years ago

It never looked like a game that was meant for full production

Machine looked great though

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I played it at the Colorado pinball showdown. Fun game. but 14.5 k for a re-theme? Maybe if money was no object.

Yeah it was kind of neat. That's aboot as excited as I got over it.

#10 11 years ago

You can still buy the (beautiful) backglass:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2133

#11 11 years ago

At about 1:58 (that'd be one HOUR and 58 mins, btw) in this video (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/26688895) from November 3rd of 2012, you can hear Ben Heck and the fine Mr. Nordman discussing a possible run of Whoa Nellie under consideration by Stern for "5 to 7 thousand". It's a bit hard to hear with the router running, but they go on about it for quite a while.

#12 11 years ago

The guy who ran Pin a Go Go last year has one and brought it to the show. I regret I got too busy with the tournament and didn't play it. Very pretty game, particularly if you're a fan of woodrails and EMs.

#13 11 years ago

One of the coolest looking art packages, and cabinet EVER, and it was a fun game to boot !

great guyss that were a pleasure to meet and talk to...

#14 11 years ago

Dennis told me that he and Greg were working on a cost analysis to present to Stern for possible manufacture. However that was close to a year ago and no word since.

Kim

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Dennis told me that he and Greg were working on a cost analysis to present to Stern for possible manufacture. However that was close to a year ago and no word since.
    Kim

Yup. They also discussed it with Jersey Jack.

#16 11 years ago

A few months ago, Dennis had 2 (of 4?) of the "super" models left... the ones with the speaker on top that played the rock-a-billy music during gameplay. After playing and talking for a while, I helped load one up for it's journey to a new home. Unfortunately, not mine.

IMG_20121120_145412.jpgIMG_20121120_145412.jpg

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

under consideration by Stern

PLEASE!!!

#18 11 years ago

i got the chance to play it at pagg. it was fun. the art package is amazing.

#19 11 years ago

Had a chance to play it twice - great game although I had thought it was going to be a real EM. Not sure why they would go through all the work of design and making them if they never intended to sell more than 4.

#20 11 years ago

The one at PAGG was built by Brad (one of the organizers of the show, hosts a pinball league, and just an all-around awesome person). He ordered the PF and BG, and found a donor game.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

Denis told me the same at the pinball expo in Chicago last fall. He even had people leave their contact info if they were intrested in one.

8 years later
    #22 2 years ago

This was 8 years ago...So did Whoa Nellie turn out to be one of the rarest pins of all time?

#23 2 years ago

There is one in Canada. Saw it a couple months ago.

#24 2 years ago

If you just consider the original four, maybe. But then Stern did a run of them. And, that playfield was reused for games like Primus. I've played a few.

#25 2 years ago

Stern did issue a full manual for Whoa Nellie (riddled with errors too which have not been corrected). Several people here on Pinside have the machine. Some people have added bells and/or chimes to the machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-they-really-only-sell-4-whoa-nellies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.