New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 93123)

Did the new Dirty Donny Premium kill the Sparky aftermarket?

By Aurich

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Someone asked me to paint him a custom Sparky, and I told him the same thing I've told other people: I'll charge you a ridiculous amount of money, you don't want me to really do that. That's my defense to guard my free time. That tactic failed, he called my bluff, and ended up agreeing to help him.

Thing is, it looks like you can't get Sparkys anymore. They weren't always the easiest to find, but people like Terry would manage sometimes. Now he says Stern won't sell him any more.

So I'm thinking, Stern must have seen the aftermarket potential for this, they hooked up with Donny to offer this new Premium, and shut down the flow of extra ones to keep this the way to go custom. Or maybe they've just run out of spares and there's no conspiracy.

Either way, unless something changes it may be that if you want a custom job you're going to have to sacrifice the one out of your game. Anyone hear anything different?

#2 6 years ago

Makes sense and so no more Sparky runs from DD either.

Darn it, shouldn't have sold mine!

#3 6 years ago

Makes the two signed by Borg and given to my boys by Jody one of the times we visited Stern last summer even more special.

I wouldn't mind Donny customizing one of them to switch out of my son's Met Pro w/custom signed Monster translite, but I think the $$$ would be too high.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Darn it, shouldn't have sold mine!

Too late!

#5 6 years ago

Sparky's have been very hard to source from Stern from the get go. There has been a few instances were a few were sold but 99% of the time they have been unavailable.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Sparky's have been very hard to source from Stern from the get go. There has been a few instances were a few were sold but 99% of the time they have been unavailable.

I guess I was lucky to snag mine when I did. If I had the game already I probably would have just pulled my stock one and painted it. I guess you always mess with a machine's value when you do that, but I wouldn't care.

#7 6 years ago

I still like the original better

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Someone asked me to paint him a custom Sparky, and I told him the same thing I've told other people: I'll charge you a ridiculous amount of money, you don't want me to really do that. That's my defense to guard my free time. That tactic failed, he called my bluff, and ended up agreeing to help him.
Thing is, it looks like you can't get Sparkys anymore. They weren't always the easiest to find, but people like Terry would manage sometimes. Now he says Stern won't sell him any more.
So I'm thinking, Stern must have seen the aftermarket potential for this, they hooked up with Donny to offer this new Premium, and shut down the flow of extra ones to keep this the way to go custom. Or maybe they've just run out of spares and there's no conspiracy.
Either way, unless something changes it may be that if you want a custom job you're going to have to sacrifice the one out of your game. Anyone hear anything different?

I should rip the Sparky off my Metallica Launch Party Grand Champion Trophy and sell it.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Original what? Unpainted Sparky? Hey, whatever floats your boat. I think the sculpt is great, the design worked out fabulous, cool toy. The factory paint job looks pretty blah though. Not Stern's fault, be expensive to do a complicated paint job. But mine looks a million times better now, to my eyes.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The factory paint isn't bad. But it is really inconsistent and lacks much detail. The custom versions are much better and look better in person than the pics.

#11 6 years ago

WTF has pinball come to when a company voluntarily refuses to sell spare parts for a recently released, non-LE game. This is getting stupid (for us, not them) .. all about max profits and to hell with the players. It's a f'n plastic doll, not a hoity toity piece of art.

#12 6 years ago

It doesn't have to be about greed, Stern just might not have any extras. They order them to build games, not sell, in theory at least. Maybe they should anticipate this kind of desire and make more, I dunno.

#13 6 years ago

Do you think they will allow secondary market parts manufacturers to create new Sparkys?

#14 6 years ago

Name one other non-le game that has had such shortages of a core part WHILE the game was in production. This is new, and disturbing. Met had been out for a year and they can't figure out how to make more than a couple thousand sparky toys over that time? I think not.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Original what? Unpainted Sparky? Hey, whatever floats your boat. I think the sculpt is great, the design worked out fabulous, cool toy. The factory paint job looks pretty blah though. Not Stern's fault, be expensive to do a complicated paint job. But mine looks a million times better now, to my eyes.

Yeah that's what I meant by original. Some of the painted ones look rad though.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Name one other non-le game that has had such shortages of a core part WHILE the game was in production.

What other game has a part that people wanted to just buy extras of like this?

#17 6 years ago

Basically any game that has a part that wears (Sparky's feet get hit directly by the ball, just like TOM's trunk), or a part they want to mod and keep an original of. I'm sure the majority of people who drilled a set of AFM martians or MM trolls for LED eyes had a spare set handy in a box. Or they just bought a new set, made from... spare parts. You can buy new Monster Bash figurines to paint up if you like - same thing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside