Did the LOTR flipper coil upgrade. Wow!

By Jenk540i

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Knew about the more robust LOTR flipper coils but had not decided to try them. Last week played a friend's game with them on it and noticed the difference. So bought a set and put them in this morning.

Way more difference than I expected. Shots are much easier - especially the ramp shots and the ring shot. Makes the ball travel faster. Plays like a very different game. Can now DTR reliably.

Feel like I should recommend them - if you have the game and have not tried them think about it.

#2 8 years ago

I had them but were to much. Made making the vuk shot almost impossible

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I had them but were to much. Made making the vuk shot almost impossible

I did notice that shot was touchy.

#4 8 years ago

Yeah a definite for lord of the rings.

#5 8 years ago

Do u have a link or part number?

#6 8 years ago

I've had them on for a while now, they are very strong compared to stock coils...sometimes too strong, but I like that they don't get tired like the stock one seem to. If you have trouble making the ring shot, make sure your spinner is oriented properly with the lower part tilting back slightly.

#7 8 years ago

LOTR Special Flipper Coil 090-5020-2OT
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112

Eric

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

I actually ordered mine from pinballguys on eBay. A little higher price but include shipping, and I ordered them there because I had >$20 in eBay bucks I needed to spend.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

Also, I notice you're looking for an LOTR LE version. I believe for that model you have to clip the diodes off.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

Also, I notice you're looking for an LOTR LE version. I believe for that model you have to clip the diodes off.

They shouldn't be necessary for an LE. Stern addressed the weak flipper problem on those.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

They shouldn't be necessary for an LE. Stern addressed the weak flipper problem on those.

You can do the same "addressing" of the weak flipper problem on the normal LotR - costs a lot less than that just slamming in wrong (to strong) coils.

You can get just the right power on the flippers without using to strong coils that alter gameplay. Basically you have to copy how they "addressed" the problem on the LEs: Rebuild the flipper mechs (including the bearings!), add EOS switches and adjust them correctly and replace the flipper button switches for new ones.

Using to strong coils is not a good solution. This doesn't get better by PBL calling them "special LotR stronger flipper coils" to make it seem more legit - in the end your overpowering the flippers to work around missing EOSs and aged mechanics/contacts just like operators used to do in the past on many games.

Not sure if you really need to cut the diodes on the LE, by the way. The diodes were moved to the board on the LE, that's the only difference there is. So you don't need them on the coils any more but i'm not sure if they actually would do any harm if they are there.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

You can do the same "addressing" of the weak flipper problem on the normal LotR - costs a lot less than that just slamming in wrong (to strong) coils.
You can get just the right power on the flippers without using to strong coils that alter gameplay. Basically you have to copy how they "addressed" the problem on the LEs: Rebuild the flipper mechs (including the bearings!), add EOS switches and adjust them correctly and replace the flipper button switches for new ones.
Using to strong coils is not a good solution. This doesn't get better by PBL calling them "special LotR stronger flipper coils" to make it seem more legit - in the end your overpowering the flippers to work around missing EOSs and aged mechanics/contacts just like operators used to do in the past on many games.

and wouldn't it increase the risk of air balls, breaking plastics or bending metal pieces? Just asking here.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and wouldn't it increase the risk of air balls, breaking plastics or bending metal pieces? Just asking here.

I've had mine on about a year or so, nothing broken on the playfield, but there are a few more air balls for sure.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've had the PBL coils in my LOTR since 2008, nothing is bent or broken and it still plays like a champ!

#15 8 years ago

We also offer a medium power version, stronger than stock coils but less than the high power coils.

Medium Power Coil - LOTR and GNR ebay.com link:

Medium Power Coil - LOTR LE ebay.com link:

I used high power coils in my LOTR for years, switched about a year ago to medium power as they make the game behave the way it should and it is less abusive on the Palantir target and Ring jump ramp.

If you have a LOTR I would recommend getting the Ring ramp post kit as well, even with normal coils the left side of the Ring jump ramp takes a beating. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1045

Andrew Barney
APB Enterprises

#16 8 years ago

I have had the stronger coils on for a year. They are a great improvement over the standard coils in my opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
€ 7.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-the-lotr-flipper-coil-upgrade-wow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.