(Topic ID: 258674)

Did the designers of Cyclone ever give a reason for no multiball?

By Rudy99

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JeffZee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Greetings. Something I've always wondered about is why the designers of Cyclone didn't give it any type of multiball mode. It's the only table I can think of from the late 80's that doesn't have at least one. It might be (and correct me if I'm wrong) the last table to come out that didn't have multiball.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone at Williams ever gave a reason for excluding it? Multiball had become a pretty common feature by the mid-80's and Cyclone came out in 1988. Only thing I can think of is that multiball might cause problems with the ferris wheel? Otherwise i dunno, seems like a bizarre design choice.

Despite this though, it's still a great table, personally I think if it did have a multiball I'd make a strong argument for it being the best pin of all time. As things stand, it's a Top 10 pin of all time imo, but not Top 5.

#2 4 years ago

Bad Cats is “89 and it doesn’t have a multiball

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Bad Cats is “89 and it doesn’t have a multiball

Ah, never seen that one, i stand corrected lol

#4 4 years ago

doesn’t need one. that’d be my guess.

#5 4 years ago

A lot of Python games don't have MB. Bad Cats was mentioned, also Comet. It wasn't really a 100% standard thing yet.

#6 4 years ago

Pool Sharks doesn't have multi-ball either. Just not part of the vision I suppose.

#7 4 years ago

Cyclone won best game of the year 2 years (or was it 3 years) in a row back in the day. It just didn't need multiball.

30 years later, and it's still an awesome pin!

-Paul

#8 4 years ago

I think it's strange that Pool Sharks needs 2 balls to play, but is only a single ball game. Makes me wonder if they were perhaps considering it at some point.

#9 4 years ago

Motordome from the class of '86 has no multiball.

#10 4 years ago

BBBB doesn't have any multiball. Considering the theme, that's always seemed pretty crazy to me. You'd think they would have thrown one in there, but I guess that just shows how rushed it was.

#11 4 years ago

Raven doesn’t have one either.

I remember the first time I played cyclone. I played it a ton of times, and never once noticed the lack of multiball. It just doesn’t need it.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

A lot of Python games don't have MB. Bad Cats was mentioned, also Comet. It wasn't really a 100% standard thing yet.

Yet, Big Gins does have multiball. Also a Python pin, perhaps his best.

#13 4 years ago

gilligan's island had it as mystery only

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I think it's strange that Pool Sharks needs 2 balls to play, but is only a single ball game. Makes me wonder if they were perhaps considering it at some point.

Maybe a maintenance consideration to prolong ball life, or more accurately, to increase the amount of time to change them out.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

Maybe a maintenance consideration to prolong ball life, or more accurately, to increase the amount of time to change them out.

Or something on the 11c board set? I know Diner needs 3 balls and only has a 2 ball mb. Like it needs that ball 1 switch on the trough to be closed.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yet, Big Gins does have multiball. Also a Python pin, perhaps his best.

perhaps his worst.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

BBBB doesn't have any multiball. Considering the theme, that's always seemed pretty crazy to me. You'd think they would have thrown one in there, but I guess that just shows how rushed it was.

Man that one totally slipped my mind. What a waste of a great theme. The rules weren't great and the layout was so weird with that inverse playfield. So much real estate for not adding that much to the game. Oh what could have been.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-the-designers-of-cyclone-ever-give-a-reason-for-no-multiball?hl=jmckune and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.