(Topic ID: 11151)

Did my ROTTENDOG board ship with wrong fuses?

By Drano

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Drano
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Okay, we all have our weak area and I admit, half a semester of high school electrical didn't get me very far. So, at the risk of posing a noob question, did my new Rottendog WPC driver board come with the wrong fuses?

I installed one of these in my latest TZ project. I'm buying pins for the long term so this is an investment for me. A few days ago during Powerbal Mania all solenoids went dead... I blew a fuse. The game is at work so I left it, went home and I grabbed my manual. F112 being the likely culprit, I bring a 7amp SloBlo in the next morning. I yank out F112 and sure enough, it's dead. I take a closer look and the Rottendog board had a 5amp fuse there. Okay, I figured, new board, better technology = lighter fuse. I still had the original board in my desk so I grab a 5amp, plopped it in and all was well.

Today, closed my doors a little earlier and treated the team to a round of pinball. I'm in the middle of an awesome ball and start powerball mania. Again, I get the ball to the mini PF, start firing the magnets and.... Dead! Another blown fuse.

Sorry for the long story, but should I follow the original spec for the game or does Rottendog have it right with the 5amp and my problem is elsewhere? Maybe too many mods

#2 12 years ago

I had the same problem on my LOTR pin,The Rottendog board is labeled 3amp on the board and the original Stern board is labeled 4 amp.I was thinking the same thing about better technology and might just use a lighter fuse but I really don't think there is much difference between the two boards.The fuse blew and the Transistor was fried on the Rottendog board so I replace the Transistor with a Better Transistor and placed a 4 amp fuse instead of 3 amp and problem was solved.

Rottendog should address these issues or state why these boards are under fused if there is a difference in better technology.This would really help some people when installing these boards before they run into problems.I am sticking with original boards for now until more info comes out about these issues with Rottendog.

#3 12 years ago

Sounds like something that needs to be addressed to Rottendog themselves, find out what the deal is.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Sounds like something that needs to be addressed to Rottendog themselves, find out what the deal is.

I've already sent them a message. I'll let you know what I hear.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I replace the Transistor with a Better Transistor and placed a 4 amp fuse instead of 3 amp and problem solved

thanks pinmike. What sort of transistor did you install?

#6 12 years ago

If the fuse blew both times when you got to the miniplayfield it's entirely possible one of the magnets on the miniplayfield has an issue. Put a new fuse in and run through the coils one at a time on coil test and see if the fuse blows when any coil fires.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from trent:

If the fuse blew both times when you got to the miniplayfield it's entirely possible one of the magnets on the miniplayfield has an issue. Put a new fuse in and run through the coils one at a time on coil test and see if the fuse blows when any coil fires.

Well, the magnets work fine any other time during the game, but during the powerball mania there is a LOT going on and I suspect it's simply an issue of heavier load. Again, I'm no expert, but that's my story and I'm stickin to it

Unfortunately the game is at work so I can't get to it again until Monday. I also don't know if I'll hear from anyone at Rottendog before then either. Stay tuned.

#8 12 years ago

Could also be a game specific situation, not unusual for different games to have different fuse requirements. Don't have any WPC manuals with me right now to check what F112 is for other titles.

-Hans

#9 12 years ago

Make sure the ribbon cables are on properly and not misaligned or not seated all the way.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

thanks pinmike. What sort of transistor did you install?

This is the Transistor that I installed http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=190&parent=20

But keep in mind the board for Rottendog LOTR uses different components than the Rottendog TZ board.What's got me guessing is the under fusing on these new boards.The fuse holders are also cheap and spread so be careful not to put too much force when replacing fuses.

#11 12 years ago

UPDATE:

Okay, so I headed over to Playdium store at lunch and picked up some fuses (I ran out of 5 and 7 amp SB). Off topic but I also wanted to get some more time in on TF and ACDC... pretty cool.

When I got back to the office I had a reply from Jim Knight at Rottendog waiting for me.

Turns out that TZ is the one game where F112 uses a 7amp fuse instead of the 5amp he configured on his boards. Jim told me to go ahead and swap it our for a 7. Good note for any TZ owners planning on getting this board.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Make sure the ribbon cables are on properly and not misaligned or not seated all the way.

Thanks for this advice as well. I did open it up and found that J107 was not fully seated. I doubt it was the ultimate cause, but good to know.

Thanks all!

#12 12 years ago

My Rottendog board instructions specified to check factory fuse ratings.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

My Rottendog board instructions specified to check factory fuse ratings.

Hooked... where you you last week? Obviously, reading instructions and doing things in the correct order has never been one of my strengths

I have faith I'll get there one day. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-my-rottendog-board-ship-with-wrong-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.