(Topic ID: 258061)

SOLVED! DemoMan DMD power supply issue: Fix or replace?

By Beechwood

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by Sonic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200208_100853 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Had the dreaded battery leak on my new to me DM, and the game would not boot up. I bought a new RD MPU from K's arcade with the chips pre-installed.

After carefully installing the new board, The game booted at power up. I added some credits but the start button didn't do anything. I powered down and checked connections on the start button, powered on, same thing. Couldn't start a game. I repeated this one more time, and on the third power up, the DMD came on and just faded to black. Now I have no DMD and game will not start. I reseated all connections and still nothing besides attract mode.

Any one have such an issue after installing a new MPU? Any suggestions on where to start on diagnosing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

Joel
HIOP

#2 3 months ago

Try cleaning the female connectors going to CPU board with contact spray. Even though the board pins are new and clean, there might be some battery leak residue on the other side.

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Try cleaning the female connectors going to CPU board with contact spray. Even though the board pins are new and clean, there might be some battery leak residue on the other side.

I'll pick some up and give it a shot. Thanks for the reply.

#4 3 months ago

Repin any connectors that had battery damage. Forget contact cleaner.

#6 3 months ago

Repinning is of course the only working long term solution, but still it might be worthwhile to check with contact spray. If that helps then the problem is surely on the connectors. Just like if removing and reseating a connector makes the game work, it is not a fix but shows where the problem is.

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I'll pick some up and give it a shot. Thanks for the reply.

If you go the contact spray route make sure you let it dry completely before you turn anything on.

#8 3 months ago

I saw that and am a bit concerned

Quoted from Mitch:

Repin any connectors that had battery damage. Forget contact cleaner.

I may go that route if cleaner doesn't help

#9 3 months ago

If any connectors were remotely effected by the battery leak, repin them. It's quick, easy and would prevent future nightmares no matter what board you use.

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Now I have no DMD and game will not start. I reseated all connections and still nothing besides attract mode.

Time to measure the voltages at the DMD power connector to see of the voltages are in spec. -112v, -100v, 5v, 12v 62v.

Did you try to add credits?

#11 3 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Time to measure the voltages at the DMD power connector to see of the voltages are in spec. -112v, -100v, 5v, 12v 62v.

Yes, it had credits for the two minutes I actually could see the DMD.

I will have to check voltages... All pins on the main board had no corrosion so that was not the issue.

#12 3 months ago

I was meaning.. add credits and then see if you can then start a game. Game may not be currently set on Free Play.

If you have the right number of balls in the trough and can add credits and still unable to start a game, then you may have trough switch issues.

#13 3 months ago

Booted up today to measure voltage, DMD came right on. I ran through the menu and there were no issues. 10 credits on machine, start button still didn't work.

After about 5 minutes, DMD went out.

Voltages 68, 12, 5, 118, 119.

I know the 118 and 119 are supposed to be 12 volts apart soooooo... ugh

Is it time for a color DMD?? I also have to figure out the dang start button.

#14 3 months ago

I ended up jumpering the start button. Gamestarts and plays great.

So now just no DMD.

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I ended up jumpering the start button. Gamestarts and plays great.
So now just no DMD.

Is your High Voltage section damaged?

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Is your High Voltage section damaged?

Unfortunately I have no idea

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Unfortunately I have no idea

Have you tested the voltages per the pinwiki guide for the DMD and high voltage section? If not, read up.

#18 3 months ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Have you tested the voltages per the pinwiki guide for the DMD and high voltage section? If not, read up.

He did. Post 13 shows the results.

#19 3 months ago

Now the question is, Fix or replace power supply board.

I am ok at tinkering, but have no idea where to start testing the board.

Obviously something is not lowering the second high voltage to -12 volts over the highest voltage.

#20 3 months ago

I'm not sure I get it - the game worked perfectly before the MPU was replaced - and now doesn't....and it's an RD MPU board (that has been known to have issues for some folks) why are you addressing anything else but the MPU?

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

I'm not sure I get it - the game worked perfectly before the MPU was replaced - and now doesn't....and it's an RD MPU board (that has been known to have issues for some folks) why are you addressing anything else but the MPU?

The back story on this game, I used to own it, sold it 6 years ago, guy calls me a few months ago asking if I want it back as it no longer worked. Had battery corrosion.

The RD board got it to boot up, but at first I thought maybe it was the MPU as the start button didnt work and the display went out. Turns out just a bad start button switch, and don't think the MPU has anything to do with DMD voltages.

#22 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

The back story on this game, I used to own it, sold it 6 years ago, guy calls me a few months ago asking if I want it back as it no longer worked. Had battery corrosion.
The RD board got it to boot up, but at first I thought maybe it was the MPU as the start button didnt work and the display went out. Turns out just a bad start button switch, and don't think the MPU has anything to do with DMD voltages.

Is that display original?Before it went out was it bright or faded/dim?

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Is that display original?Before it went out was it bright or faded/dim?

It is an original (Cherry) dated 3-28-94. It seemed bright with no issues before it blacked out.

However, I tested voltage WITHOUT DMD plugged in and the two highest voltages now read 116 and 96, so I am guessing it is the DMD

#24 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It is an original (Cherry) dated 3-28-94. It seemed bright with no issues before it blacked out.
However, I tested voltage WITHOUT DMD plugged in and the two highest voltages now read 116 and 96, so I am guessing it is the DMD

Yeah but do you have another game you can test that DMD just to verify

#25 3 months ago

I don't think it's the dmd just because it works on and off some times

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I don't think it's the dmd just because it works on and off some times

It's not intermittent, it just up and died. Considering the DMD is over 25 years old, yeah. It's beyond end of life. However, the fact that it lasted a quarter of a century is certainly impressive.

#27 3 months ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Yeah but do you have another game you can test that DMD just to verify

Unfortunately , no. My other pin is an EatPM system 11.

Unless someone in the greater Grand Rapids area wants to volunteer a game to test it in

#28 3 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

It's not intermittent, it just up and died. Considering the DMD is over 25 years old, yeah. It's beyond end of life. However, the fact that it lasted a quarter of a century is certainly impressive.

I am impressed too. The analog game counter reads 50,702 plays!

#29 3 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Unfortunately , no. My other pin is an EatPM system 11.
Unless someone in the greater Grand Rapids area wants to volunteer a game to test it in

Wish I had a DMD,I would take a nice getaway drive to grand rapids Dearborn is boring

1 month later
#30 66 days ago

Still struggling with this mofo... got a working DMD to pop into the pin and... nothing.

Voltages with DMD plugged in : 66, 12, 5, -118, -118

Voltages with DMD not plugged in : 66, 12, 5, -96, -118

Does ANYONE have experience with these voltages coming from a bad controller board?

High voltage supposed to be 12 volts apart, but they are 22 volts apart until I plug in the DMD and then they are equal. (Same readings with both my DMD's and neither display anything... not even one dot)

HELP

#31 61 days ago

RECAP: DMD faded out after a few minutes of installing my new Rottendog MPU. Thought the new MPU may have been the culprit, it was not.

Voltages at the DMD (while plugged in) were 118,118, 66, 12, 5.

Voltages when not plugged in 118, 96, 66, 12, 5.

Installed a known good DMD, same results... no display, same voltages.

Board looked ok, traces tested ok, bridge (both) tested good.

Bought a piggy high voltage supply board from Pinball Life for $52. Installed in 10 minutes.

BOOM!! DMD back in action baby.

IMG_20200208_100853 (resized).jpg
#32 61 days ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Is it time for a color DMD??

I missed this question. Yes, you could have installed one and not worry about repairing the High Voltage section.

#33 61 days ago

I missed this question. Yes, you could have installed one and not worry about repairing the High Voltage section.

It was a last resort. I didn't want to drop the $$ on a color DMD if I didn't have too.

Glad it only cost $52 to fix.

#34 60 days ago

The DMD boards of this era of Williams pins is one of the biggest pieces of junk....I think Xpin is long gone with repro boards, I myself have been using a PINLED for years with no issues - but I don't piggyback or repair - I replace that particular board - its simply junk....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
River Grove, IL
$ 37.50
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside