Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1832 (resized).JPG
IMG_1829 (resized).JPG
IMG_1831 (resized).JPG
IMG_1830 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

So I am shopping my IJ machine and noticed that the wrong flipper coils were on the machine. I rebuild the flipper set and was soldering on the coil. I am just learning to solder and did some practice previous. What I didn't account for was the plastic that the lugs are attached to. I was so focused on the flow of solder on the wire that I didn't realize it melted the plastic. So my question is should I take this coil off and get a new one and start over or will this one still function? Is there any way I can test it? Thanks in advance!!

IMG_1830 (resized).JPGIMG_1830 (resized).JPG
IMG_1831 (resized).JPGIMG_1831 (resized).JPG
IMG_1829 (resized).JPGIMG_1829 (resized).JPG
IMG_1832 (resized).JPGIMG_1832 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

You really don't even need that plastic. It makes things a little cleaned but I have seen plenty of coils with half the plastic end broken off and wires just soldered to coil wire & hanging in mid air.

If I was in your shoes I would just hit that area with a little hot glue or silicon just to stabilize the wire a bit but it really isn't necessary.

#3 7 years ago

Wow! , what type of soldering iron are you using ? Should still work but i would probably replace it for the small cost.

#4 7 years ago

You shouldn;t need a new one no. Coils work for decades+ looking like total shit and being mangled. Don;t get down on yourself.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Wow! , what type of soldering iron are you using ? Should still work but i would probably replace it for the small cost.

Hakko--I left it on 750. Need to turn it down I guess, maybe 550. What's that old saying "you pay for your experience". With this experience, I have learned something--the hard way.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You shouldn;t need a new one no. Coils work for decades+ looking like total shit and being mangled. Don;t get down on yourself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. With the support of this site, any feelings of getting down are usually limited to the time it takes me to post. Answers come so quickly and are so helpful that I know help is only a keyboard away.

#7 7 years ago

I wouldn't worry about using it.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from deanearp:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. With the support of this site, any feelings of getting down are usually limited to the time it takes me to post.

I have literally cracked the plastic on coil and snapped it completely away from the coil body, just hanging there, and the coil works fine. Sure, I do not advise this route but really as stated above you're just making continuity with that tiny wire and the doides. As long as they are all together you're fine

#9 7 years ago

Yeah a dab of hot glue to stabilize it and your good to go.

#10 7 years ago

One time I snapped the plastic off and the lugs went with it so I just had the thin red wires hanging there so I just soldered directly to them and it still worked fine. Just make sure you've still got proper resistance across the lugs (compare with your other coil)

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from deanearp:

Hakko--I left it on 750. Need to turn it down I guess, maybe 550. What's that old saying "you pay for your experience". With this experience, I have learned something--the hard way.

Knock it down to about 620. Will melt the solder just fine.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from deanearp:

Its all good. We all learn from our mistakes. Hell, its just a coil right!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
14,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 29.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Wanted
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-ruin-this-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.