(Topic ID: 207974)

Did I ruin my playfield by accidentally sanding down to the next ply?

By mrm_4

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
mata-stencils (resized).jpg
DSC_0654 (Large) (resized).JPG
DSC_0662-(Large) (resized).jpg
DSC_0661 (Large) (resized).JPG
DSC_0659 (Large) (resized).JPG
DSC_0655 (Large) (resized).JPG
image (resized).png
thplywood plug (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I wiped it with naphtha and put the rail and post on it to see what it'll look like clear coated. I wanna throw up.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

I feel like I have to paint all the bare wood now to make up for this which is killing me. Not sure if a wood filler wood correct this, especially with how it would react to clear coat, and how the wood darkens and brings out the grain when the clear is applied. I think wood filler would be an even more obvious spot.

#3 6 years ago

Will that even be visible under the upper apron once it has been installed??

#4 6 years ago

This is the players point of view of the playfield in the machine now. It's pretty much the only wood you get to see except for the shoot lane and that's the spot I screwed up.

#5 6 years ago

You can shellac and color the wood finish again. Look in vid1900's playfield restoration thread.. it's covered a few times.

#6 6 years ago

If you are going to be touching up the rest of the playfield (based upon the bigger last pic you posted) just lightly airbrush some wood color paint over that top wood area. Clearcoat with the rest and no one will ever be the wiser....

#7 6 years ago

Wondering if a color matched (wood color that is) paint would look just as good as the natural. It would be even toned for sure

^^ what he said too

#8 6 years ago

I wouldn't even know how to color match the tone of wet wood versus dry. The wood almost looks white but when I run naphtha on it the color gets significantly darker. I feel like the paint idea would work but how would I match the color? Other than constantly wiping the board down with naphtha while I mix drops of paint?

#9 6 years ago

I wouldn’t add any color until I tested a small amount of oil or water based clear first to see if that brings the color back that you want.

#10 6 years ago

don't be so hard on yourself. I've done all sorts of fun things like this- that at that moment- I couldn't get past them. But guess what? after a week - I forgot all about it...and enjoyed my machine. This isn't a big deal!

#11 6 years ago

Purchase amber shellac flakes, follow the instructions and mix with alcohol. It will brush on and even everything out. No way would I paint that to look like wood,its difficult.

#12 6 years ago

I really appreciate everyone talking me off the ledge. When I look at it I'm really wondering if a filler wood be the answer. I think what makes it so obvious is the change in texture. The surface around it is flat and super smooth but as the ply under started to come out you can see how different the surface is. phil-lee do you think the shellac flakes would even this out?

#13 6 years ago

I kinda wonder if you actually sanded it down, that looks like a typical shape of a missing ply- I bet the color looks different because its clean now... unless you were really working on that one spot by hand, and very carefully to get that exact shape... this is not something you did. You certainly took down the top bit of wood and you may have exposed a lighter color but that different grain defect almost had to have been there before you started unless you saw the chunk fly while sanding... then yea... that was you

Else, seriously, no biggie at all. You could work a bit to try to get it to match color wise, but I would not fill it unless you have a filler that will look good under clear-

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

I kinda wonder if you actually sanded it down, that looks like a typical shape of a missing ply-

Have to agree with @rufessor.

Think your playfield has a plywood plug. Like the photo below. A small plug none the less.
thplywood plug (resized).jpgthplywood plug (resized).jpg

Unless you truly sanded through the top veneer.

#15 6 years ago

I think that's a plywood plug called a "boatman".

#16 6 years ago

If it is a plug is there a way to hide it. This is what it looked like before I started sanding. You can see the groove I was trying to flatten out. I went at it the same as I did with the path of the ball wear.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This is what it looked like before I started sanding. You can see the groove I was trying to flatten out.

Based on your photo it looks like you did sand through to the second layer of plywood. Luckily it is not in a ball play area and it will be mostly hidden by the upper arch.

I'm no cabinet maker, but will suggest in that lighter coloured area, filling those left to right lines with some type of wood filler. Then staining that area to closely match the top layer of plywood. Then just level it with some sort of clear finish. PM vid1900 he may have a much better response.

#18 6 years ago

Looks like that was a flaw in the ply to start with. It's not terribly difficult to patch something like that with a piece of birch or maple veneer, cut to shape to cover the damage. In your case a piece with straight parallel sides, curved where it meets the paint. Hold it in place, scribe with an exacto knife, carefully chisel out to an even depth slightly less than the thickness of the patch. Glue and clamp the patch, then level by scraping and sanding. Shellac will match the color. It will look better than that original crack. PM me I can send you veneer if you don't have a source.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbee:

Looks like that was a flaw in the ply to start with. It's not terribly difficult to patch something like that with a piece of birch or maple veneer, cut to shape to cover the damage. In your case a piece with straight parallel sides, curved where it meets the paint. Hold it in place, scribe with an exacto knife, carefully chisel out to an even depth slightly less than the thickness of the patch. Glue and clamp the patch, then level by scraping and sanding. Shellac will match the color. It will look better than that original crack. PM me I can send you veneer if you don't have a source.

After having a night to cry about it and get over myself I think this is the right thing to do. I feel like I would have to shellac all the wood so it would be even from top arch down to the shooter lane. Do I have to worry about clear coat adhering to the coat of shellac?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

After having a night to cry about it and get over myself I think this is the right thing to do. I feel like I would have to shellac all the wood so it would be even from top arch down to the shooter lane. Do I have to worry about clear coat adhering to the coat of shellac?

I'm not sure what your skill level is, but you could try and fix it and have it look worse than it does now. I'd spend another night or two thinking about it before you dive in.

#21 6 years ago

If this was a $$$$$ restoration in my shop, I'd patch in a piece of maple veneer.

For a regular job, I'd level out the plug, paint it a neutral maple color, then with a stiff, almost dry brush, **paint** some fine grain onto the patch and surrounding wood.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Based on your photo it looks like you did sand through to the second layer of plywood. Luckily it is not in a ball play area and it will be mostly hidden by the upper arch.
I'm no cabinet maker, but will suggest in that lighter coloured area, filling those left to right lines with some type of wood filler. Then staining that area to closely match the top layer of plywood. Then just level it with some sort of clear finish. PM vid1900 he may have a much better response.

That area is in play, it's worn from the ball traveling on the upper arch. The pf isn't ruined, but will look bad without a good fix, but it's playable.

#23 6 years ago

I'll either try the veneer repair or paint. However if I paint I'll probably go extreme with it and do a super dark brown. Similar to the rare plastic playfields.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-one-of-mata-hari

#24 6 years ago

Morning Pinheads,

Matt asked me to post some specific pictures of my Mata Hari with plastic playfield which we rfurbished. Happy to do that for you...pics to follow...

DSC_0655 (Large) (resized).JPGDSC_0655 (Large) (resized).JPG

DSC_0659 (Large) (resized).JPGDSC_0659 (Large) (resized).JPG

DSC_0661 (Large) (resized).JPGDSC_0661 (Large) (resized).JPG

DSC_0662-(Large) (resized).jpgDSC_0662-(Large) (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

And guess what arrived today I'm really mad on Mata Hari - can't wait to have those side by side - fully refurbished. An EM Mata hari plays sooo different to the ss version. Can't decribe it...should have always been an EM in my point of view

DSC_0654 (Large) (resized).JPGDSC_0654 (Large) (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago

Matt...you might need these for your restoration...I've done these vector graphics for my playfield restoration. I decided to cut them out of black foil resulting in really sharp deep black decals...obviously you'd have to clear coat playfield more often but I think worth the effort....drop me a pm

Good luck with your restoration - worth every minute

Greetz

Henrik

mata-stencils (resized).jpgmata-stencils (resized).jpg

#27 6 years ago

I went the extreme route... I love the original look of the wood up top, and I think that's why I got as upset as I did when I sanded too deep. But after doing this I think I actually like it better than the original look. However I know there is a special level in Hell where I'm going to be tortured by Mata Hari herself for painting it like I did.

#28 6 years ago

^looks much more evil....

#29 6 years ago

Thanks Vid!!!

#30 6 years ago

Wow -- what a recovery!

#31 6 years ago

Perhaps just a small 1/8" lip from a grindstone, with wood showing right around the hole/ball, would contrast the black? just a thought.

#32 6 years ago

Looks great - that's how Bally should have done it back in the day!

#33 6 years ago

I wouldn’t sweat it....New Stern owners ruin their playfields as soon as they open the box it came in.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Dreams:

Morning Pinheads,
Matt asked me to post some specific pictures of my Mata Hari with plastic playfield which we rfurbished. Happy to do that for you...pics to follow...

Quoted from mrm_4:

I went the extreme route... I love the original look of the wood up top, and I think that's why I got as upset as I did when I sanded too deep. But after doing this I think I actually like it better than the original look. However I know there is a special level in Hell where I'm going to be tortured by Mata Hari herself for painting it like I did.

Wow, both of those looks snazzy! i would probably have painted the area dark red or something like that though.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

i would probably have painted the area dark red or something like that though.

It's funny you say that, I was going to use purple until I went to touch the board with the brush and decided black. The thought was how the original red arch looks like it's cutting through the dark night sky. So I just continued/expanded the sky.

2 months later
#36 6 years ago

I'll be getting my playfield back from being clear coated in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of a post or a checklist anywhere of a good order to do the swap?
Example:
1.) Lights ground braid and sockets
2.) Pop bumpers
3.) Drop target assemblies
4.) Drink a beer
5.) Side rails

and so on....

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I'll be getting my playfield back from being clear coated in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of a post or a checklist anywhere of a good order to do the swap?
Example:
1.) Lights ground braid and sockets
2.) Pop bumpers
3.) Drop target assemblies
4.) Drink a beer
5.) Side rails
and so on....

Answered my own question...
Found this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-guide

Thanks mof for putting this out there, this is good stuff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 199.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-ruin-my-playfield-by-accidentally-sanded-down-to-the-next-ply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.