(Topic ID: 27615)

Did I pick a bad time to be in the market for my first pin?

By EvanBingham

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image002[1].gif
    Untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PeteM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

I'm not sure when prices will stop going up, but it doesn't seem like they're going down very soon.
    I bought my first machine in January, and I've been adding games as I find good deals. I just bought a Fish Tales last week. I'd never even played it and I wasn't sure I wanted to keep it, but it was a good deal and I know I can always trade into something I like better later. It turns out that I like it so it will stay for a while. My other games have pretty much the same story.
    I also don't have any games with collector quality playfields. If you're trying to get in cheap, you might have to put up with some bumps and bruises. For the most part they play the same so what do you really miss? Having to nudge the ball over the mylar bump on Stargate's inlanes every now and then is worth saving $600 to me. After I build a reasonable collection, maybe I'll spend that $600 and have the playfield restored but I'll have fun playing until then.
    This chart from Boston Pinball shows that the supply is decreasing while the demand is either increasing, or constant. If the yellow line starts to trend back up, prices will start to level off or go down. For that to happen, people would have to start dumping their collections. Can anyone think of a reason large numbers of people would do that?

Interesting. Looking at March 2010 through March 2012, there's been a very significant increase in price with no appreciable reduction in volume. That's bad news for buyers (and conversely, good news for sellers).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PeteM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-pick-a-bad-time-to-be-in-the-market-for-my-first-pin?tu=PeteM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.