Topic poll

“Did I Just Ruin My Pinball Speakers? Subwoofer Question/Warning”

• You're an idiot and it's the fuses. 2 votes
    40%
  • You're an idiot and the speaker is ruined. 3 votes
    60%

(5 votes)

#1 4 years ago

I think I just did something stupid. My Jurassic Park came with a subwoofer. It really makes the T-Rex roar. It is hooked up with alligator clips going from the speaker on the bottom to sub and has been operating for 3 months with no issue. I recently read how to hook up my hobbit to the same sub. I played a game and it rocked. I went over to the Jurrassic park afterwards and the sound was anemic and coming in and out of from loud to soft like certain speakers were only working intermediately. I didn't hear the woofer and looked at how it was plugged up. To my horror, I had switched the RCA jacks to the Output instead of the input on the woofer for my Jurassic Park. I had assumed (incorrectly) they were all inputs. When I was playing my Hobbit, the sound was going out to the sub and being powered from the sub to the speakers in the Jurassic Park. I have not troubleshot too much yet, but I am assuming I messed up the bottom speaker in my Jurassic Park. What do you guys think would be the most likely solution?

If it is the speaker, what is the best way to replace something like that?

#2 4 years ago

Hopefully only the speakers were blown in JP. You may have blown the sound circuits in that game. Never alligator clip anything into a game and make sure you know what you are doing before you add mods. Start by checking the speaker on JP with an omnmeter for a direct short or open. Substituting a known good speaker in the game is better yet, that will tell you immediately if the speaker or the game audio amplifier is damaged

#3 4 years ago

Great news! After "unplugging and plugging back in" everything hooked up to the sound card it seems to be working just fine. The lesson learned here is 1 pinball machine per subwoofer.

Thanks for the help!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Great news! After "unplugging and plugging back in" everything hooked up to the sound card it seems to be working just fine. The lesson learned here is 1 pinball machine per subwoofer.
Thanks for the help!

Lucky! Glad you got it working.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Never alligator clip anything into a game

As long as you use minimal care every powered subwoofer can be alligator clipped to the cabinet speaker. Forever.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

As long as you use minimal care every powered subwoofer can be alligator clipped to the cabinet speaker. Forever.

Alligator clips are the duct tape of amateurs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-just-ruin-my-pinball-speakers-subwoofer-question-warning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.