Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Daditude
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200218-175453_Drive (resized).jpg
20200218_175250 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Replacing u13 on my shadow. Noticed the others end in "bi". Mine ends in "n". I checked all connections with dmm and they are soldered correctly. Might not be the prettiest but they are connected correctly. Column 6switches still out.

20200218_175250 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200218-175453_Drive (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago

Different manufacturers use different suffixes for the chip package (plastic through-hole, SMD, ceramic, etc). Motorola uses "N" for the plastic through-hole chip package, and ST uses "B1". Functionally, they should be the same 74LS240 chip.

Note that whenever you replace a chip, you should install a socket rather than soldering it directly to the board in case you need to swap or test a chip again.

My next suggestion would be to put both the original chip and the new chip in a chip tester as a sanity check to see if either one tests bad.

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Different manufacturers use different suffixes for the chip package (plastic through-hole, SMD, ceramic, etc). Motorola uses "N" for the plastic through-hole chip package, and ST uses "B1". Functionally, they should be the same 74LS240 chip.
Note that whenever you replace a chip, you should install a socket rather than soldering it directly to the board in case you need to swap or test a chip again.
My next suggestion would be to put both the original chip and the new chip in a chip tester as a sanity check to see if either one tests bad.

Thanks. I regretted not socketing right away. Guess I buy a rottendog or send off for repair. I'm over it.

#4 3 months ago

Did you try changing out U20?

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Hot damn, changed u20 and boom, works great. Almost fucked up this board by swapping u13. Doesn't look great on other side but all works perfectly. Swapped u13 for nothing.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Some heroes don't wear capes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakville, MO

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside