(Topic ID: 75203)

Did I overpay on my Elvira on the Party Monsters?

By BadBrad97

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Bohdi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Elvira 2.jpg
Elvira 1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-452.jpg
image.jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just need opinions on what it is really worth.

I agreed to buy a "HUO" Elvira for $3000 that was supposed to be mint and drove 2 hours. When I got there is was in nice shape but definitely not home use as described. We agreed on $2500 (which I still think was too much) and took it.

Good:
Playfield has mylar and no wear, some bubbles on inserts, slight fade around edges.
Working 100% except a couple issues that showed up when I got it home. (Optics needed cleaning, bulbs out, etc)
Cabinet looks great except for minor flipper button wear
Backglass looks good.
boards look good

Bad:
Filthy dirty
Needs rubber bad
Display glass replaced on one side and is about 1/4" lower (this is going to drive me crazy)
A few broken plastics
security hole in front of cabinet
"BAT" letters worn off the inserts at the back

#2 10 years ago

I would have passed, but if you are happy with the price that's all that matters.

#3 10 years ago

That's still a good price. I think you got a good deal.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

Just need opinions on what it is really worth.
I agreed to buy a "HUO" Elvira for $3000 that was supposed to be mint and drove 2 hours. When I got there is was in nice shape but definitely not home use as described. We agreed on $2500 (which I still think was too much) and took it.
Good:
Playfield has mylar and no wear, some bubbles on inserts, slight fade around edges.
Working 100% except a couple issues that showed up when I got it home. (Optics needed cleaning, bulbs out, etc)
Cabinet looks great except for minor flipper button wear
Backglass looks good.
boards look good
Bad:
Filthy dirty
Needs rubber bad
Display glass replaced on one side and is about 1/4" lower (this is going to drive me crazy)
A few broken plastics
lockdown bar hole in front of cabinet
"BAT" letters worn off the inserts at the back

In the condition you describe I'd say $2200.

Original unfaded cabinet, factory mylar sounds good.
$2500 if is was truly clean and shopped out with new rubber.

Curious if you had got pics before driving to get this pin. "lockbar holes" and wear etc.....not known beforehand ?
Still a good price as these are getting hard to find and once it's cleaned up it will be worth it.

#5 10 years ago

Just set her up, play and enjoy that wonderful piece of mechanical magic! Quit worrying!

#6 10 years ago

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/261 this website says ya did but it is based on ebay prices. Wait ebay prices are averaging lower? That can't be. Lol. I would maybe say less than 2000. Like 1700. 3000 seems to be a collector quality price.

#7 10 years ago

I would kill to find a 1700 EATPM. 2500 is down the middle fair, not a bargain but you did not overpay either.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

In the condition you describe I'd say $2200.
Original unfaded cabinet, factory mylar sounds good.
$2500 if is was truly clean and shopped out with new rubber.
Curious if you had got pics before driving to get this pin. "lockbar holes" and wear etc.....not known beforehand ?
Still a good price as these are getting hard to find and once it's cleaned up it will be worth it.

Yeah. That is about what I was thinking. It looked better in the pictures. and the hole in the front of the cabinet really didn't show in the pictures. It proved to me that it wasn't HUO like he claimed.

Looks like I will be shopping it out as soon as my parts arrive.

Thanks for the opinions so far....

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

http://www.pinpedia.com/machine/261 this website says ya did but it is based on ebay prices. Wait ebay prices are averaging lower? That can't be. Lol. I would maybe say less than 2000. Like 1700. 3000 seems to be a collector quality price.

yea, i'd have to agree here. It's unshopped it's whole life. Dirty as hell. Playfield wear. After all the work in time you have to put into it to shop it out properly. You don't want to be into it for 3k by the time your done. then your getting in SS territory. And EATPM is way below that in the price department. At 1500-1700 you have some room to work, and after doing a proper cleaning and repair job, you'd have about $2300 invested in it, which is about right for a freshly shopped fair example. that's why prices are high, is because people bid to high on routed beaters, and then stuck into them for too much money.

#10 10 years ago

If someone says HUO...just run. It means "Honestly Unrealisticly Overpriced" and doesn't tell diddly about condition.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If someone says HUO...just run. It means "Honestly Unrealisticly Overpriced" and doesn't tell diddly about condition.

That is unless you know who you're dealing with. Anyone who has bought an HUO mint machine from me has gotten just that. Anything marginal has been described as just that as well. That's why my machines always sell to the first person who looks at them. Honesty truly is the best policy.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

That is unless you know who you're dealing with. Anyone who has bought an HUO mint machine from me has gotten just that. Anything marginal has been described as just that as well. That's why my machines always sell to the first person who looks at them. Honesty truly is the best policy.

Yes, I believe you, but proper use of the term HUO is an exception nowadays. I use my couches at home and the finish is all wearing off of them, compared to a nice condition routed couch in a motel. Most are using the term and offering none of the value it might imply.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Captain Sunshine over heeyah! Relax Francis.

I've run the whole shebang of driving hundreds of miles, getting to pin, only to find out seller is a liar, moron or both.

But also many times under-exaggerated and better than described. So it's an instinct thing. Gotta trust yer gut.

#14 10 years ago

The best HUO pins are the ones where the owner has never even heard of the phrase "home use only".

Sounds like you overpaid a bit, but I wouldn't say you got ripped off. Great pin, ton of fun, just enjoy it!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Captain Sunshine over heeyah! Relax Francis.
I've run the whole shebang of driving hundreds of miles, getting to pin, only to find out seller is a liar, moron or both.
But also many times under-exaggerated and better than described. So it's an instinct thing. Gotta trust yer gut.

Yeah, I was just kidding about the run part. What it boils down to is learning the things to look for/at and seeing the pin in person before laying out the cash whenever possible. If it says HUO, great if it is documented and the condition backs it up.

#16 10 years ago

It's not bad but its not a smoking deal. Clean it up which is half the fun and enjoy it.

#17 10 years ago

like most have said, this title has been going up in value, so not a terrible deal at all...

#18 10 years ago

It's worth exactly $2500. "We agreed on $2500." Therefore the buyer & seller determined it's exact value, as always. Otherwise, frankly, who cares? It's yours. Enjoy it or fix it or determine it's new value with through negotiations with "the next guy." People worry about value way too much. Was it purchased strictly for resale? If that's the case, we wouldn't recommend any pinball. 95% of the time, they need more work invested than the "final value." Case in point:

#20 10 years ago

I would love that game. We'll worth it.

#21 10 years ago

seems good to me .Clean it and play the hell out of it

#22 10 years ago

I paid $2800 for mine a couple weeks ago. Mine was clean with no broken plastics, but similar condition otherwise (some Mylar bubbling, nice playfield, and nice translight). The $300 difference gives you some room for new plastics, new rubber, and cleaning supplies. I think you did all right.

Nearly all of the flash bulbs were out on mine. R6 on the interconnect board is open, so the Right Return flashers don't work. Took me a while to track down that issue!

#23 10 years ago

I hate price guides and buyers regret... If it a title you like, then get it and play it and enjoy working on it... Because that is what you are going to do on a system 11 pin. If it was under 3k then you didn't get ripped off. If it was, live and learn. Buy it cause you want it, not because you might profit down the line. I had one and love it. Tons of fun. Enjoy

#24 10 years ago

Way too much.

#25 10 years ago

I have one in good shape fully working id let go for 2200 in az

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I have one in good shape fully working id let go for 2200 in az

Best thread hijack..... EVER

#27 10 years ago

Easy for others to say you paid too much when they haven't shopped for one lately. I paid $2000.00 for one recently that needs a lot of TLC and shopping,but plays great.
This machine came out in 1989,and not a big production run. It was one of the most popular at the time,and still is. You would be hard pressed to find one here in the Northwest for under $2800.00.
I may get Elvira to sign it later this month at Comicon to add to the value. The tough issues however, are replacing ramps and decals etc. You really have to search for this stuff and in the case of ramps,getting on a waiting list.
All said, working on the these is half the fun and a fully shopped one is a keeper!

#28 10 years ago

yes, but when you pay 2k for a unshopped needs work example. Your just encouraging people to ask those prices. If you did your homework and was patient, you could find a much better example for that price.

#29 10 years ago

Not a bad buy. I bought mine in May for 2K. Was so dirty I couldn't believe it. Half the rubber was gone, needed plastics etc. Playfield was so dirty it was hard to tell the condition of it. Cabinet looked bad but after a little touchup and magic erasure it looks more than ok. Bottom line: To me it looked nowhere near 2K but I was looking for this one for so long and they just aren't easy to find around here at least, so I bought it. New plastics, new rubber, redid the legs and new hardware, touched up cabinet, repainted the coin door and cleaned the heck out of it and put LEDs in it. It looks and plays awesome now and I have about 2400 into it. Well worth it now IMO.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

Yeah. That is about what I was thinking. It looked better in the pictures. and the hole in the front of the cabinet really didn't show in the pictures. It proved to me that it wasn't HUO like he claimed.
Looks like I will be shopping it out as soon as my parts arrive.
Thanks for the opinions so far....

If you figured the machine is worth 2200 then look at it this way, by picking the machine up you saved 250-350 in shipping cost so you're about at what you think the machine is worth!!!

Quoted from gameroomguru:

It's worth exactly $2500. "We agreed on $2500." Therefore the buyer & seller determined it's exact value, as always. Otherwise, frankly, who cares? It's yours. Enjoy it or fix it or determine it's new value with through negotiations with "the next guy." People worry about value way too much. Was it purchased strictly for resale? If that's the case, we wouldn't recommend any pinball. 95% of the time, they need more work invested than the "final value." Case in point:
» YouTube video

Well said!

#31 10 years ago

I paid $900 for my EATPM. It needed new displays, cabinet decals, the translite is so-so (go CPT mirrored backglass!) the plastics were yellowed, warped, or cracked (ramps decent though) and the playfield was heavily worn.

I replaced the displays, bought cab decals (haven't installed yet), and completely stripped the playfield. Took off the mylar (over the wear, thanks op) and completely cleaned. Multiple levels of masking, airbrushing, clear coating, water slide decals (CaptainNeo on the scanner assist!) etc later it was pretty nice. CPR plastics replaced all the crap ones. Took off the ramp decals, cleaned them really well, and applied back on with spray adhesive. Replaced random other parts, like the shooter assembly etc.

I'm probably $2000 into it roughly, along with months of work. Was a lot of fun, no regrets, and really need to get to that cab re-decal. But if I could have paid a little over $2000 for a nice one in the first place? Done.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-452.jpgimage-452.jpg

#32 10 years ago

I would say that there is no use dwelling on it, just use it in good health

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I paid $900 for my EATPM. It needed new displays, cabinet decals, the translite is so-so (go CPT mirrored backglass!) the plastics were yellowed, warped, or cracked (ramps decent though) and the playfield was heavily worn.
I replaced the displays, bought cab decals (haven't installed yet), and completely stripped the playfield. Took off the mylar (over the wear, thanks op) and completely cleaned. Multiple levels of masking, airbrushing, clear coating, water slide decals (CaptainNeo on the scanner assist!) etc later it was pretty nice. CPR plastics replaced all the crap ones. Took off the ramp decals, cleaned them really well, and applied back on with spray adhesive. Replaced random other parts, like the shooter assembly etc.
I'm probably $2000 into it roughly, along with months of work. Was a lot of fun, no regrets, and really need to get to that cab re-decal. But if I could have paid a little over $2000 for a nice one in the first place? Done.

That came out nice Aurich! What's with that red "bat" plastic? Looks like the previous owner made a makeshift one.

image.jpg 254 KB

image-452.jpg 233 KB

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

incredible work. must feel great to look at those before and after pics!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

That came out nice Aurich! What's with that red "bat" plastic? Looks like the previous owner made a makeshift one.

Man, I have no idea. The plastic under the organ player was totally wrong and weird too.

One thing I did that came out great was I painted the inside of the skull cave with chrome paint. Black basecoat, chrome over. Then I put a green LED flasher in it. Lights up beautifully now when it goes off, the inside being so reflective really spreads the light.

#36 10 years ago

Also, custom cyclops eye paint. Need to take an installed pic. Sorry to thread hijack!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I have no idea. The plastic under the organ player was totally wrong and weird too.
One thing I did that came out great was I painted the inside of the skull cave with chrome paint. Black basecoat, chrome over. Then I put a green LED flasher in it. Lights up beautifully now when it goes off, the inside being so reflective really spreads the light.

I did the green flasher there also. Looks much nicer. I like the chrome paint idea, may have to try that during my next teardown. Love the cyclops light too. You could sell those I bet. I'd buy one.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Love the cyclops light too. You could sell those I bet. I'd buy one.

Probably more trouble than it's worth honestly, but I could do a little tutorial to teach people how to make them. It's got a red LED under there too, so the whole eye glows red when it lights up.

#39 10 years ago

Here's the inside of the skull. I should put all this into a thread.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

image.jpg 164 KB

You should do a thread. I should of done one during my teardown. I like doing the before and after pics. I just never post them. Always like the Elvira threads..

#41 10 years ago

Just had to post a couple quick pics. There just wasn't enough of Elvira on here. Sorry for the bad pics, this tab doesn't take great pics. Looks much better in person.

Elvira 2.jpgElvira 2.jpgElvira 1.jpgElvira 1.jpg

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But if I could have paid a little over $2000 for a nice one in the first place? Done.

But you get the pride of bringing a game back to it's glory, as well as learning a few things along the way. I get frustrated sometimes when working on a project, but love it when it's done.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, custom cyclops eye paint

Awesome! I'm stealing that idea when I land an EATPM

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You don't want to be into it for 3k by the time your done. then your getting in SS territory.

Lemme know when you find THAT!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

image.jpg 164 KB

that would be a great idea.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

But you get the pride of bringing a game back to it's glory, as well as learning a few things along the way. I get frustrated sometimes when working on a project, but love it when it's done.

Truth. Was a ton of work, but definitely fun and satisfying. No regrets. I won't lie though, if I had found a nice once for $2000ish I would have just bought it and that would have been that. It's a great game and a great theme and a lot of fun to own. It's not modern Stern, you have to know how to appreciate a System 11, but it's easily my favorite.

I still need to redecal, and tune the multiball launch, it doesn't reliably shoot the balls into the poppers.

#47 10 years ago

Thanks for the Info Aurich. I will be doing my resto on one in the coming year and could use all the pointers you have on this as my Pin needs a lot of what you did also. Hope you don't mind getting messages on how you did some of these tasks. As for getting a fully shopped EATPM for $2000.00?
-Not likely around these parts anyway.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I should put all this into a thread.

Absolutely!

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Hope you don't mind getting messages on how you did some of these tasks.

No worries, always happy to help.

I've been meaning to make a thread since I started it, I just never quite manage to get around to it.

#50 10 years ago

Can you get one better shipped in for less money? If so, you paid too much. If not, you're fine. Be like me. Clean it up, play the crap out of it and then sell it for 3 grand.

There's always someone with more money and desire right around the corner.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-get-ripped-off-on-my-elvira-on-the-party-monsters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.