(Topic ID: 244197)

Did I fry my NASCAR?

By Pahuffman

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I picked up a NASCAR last week, my first Whitestar/Stern game. After a shop job I put in LEDs and an NVRAM. When I powered it on the game didn't boot, so I shut it off after about 10 seconds. I thought I smelled the slightest burning but couldn't see any evidence of it. After an investigation I realized I installed the NVRAM upside down. I flipped it to the proper orientation and the display now switches back and forth from NASCAR to SLAM TILT without booting. I put the original RAM back in and it does the same thing. Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

It's not fried if your DMD is showing words.

Slam tilt switch in the bottom of the cab, and on the coin door look OK?

Any fuses blown?

#3 4 years ago

My 1st guess would be the coin door also, maybe a wire got pinched?

#4 4 years ago

The manual says slam tilt is an optional kit (inside back cover, switch 53). I'd disconnect CN6 and CN7 to rule that out as the source of the problem. If it boots then you know your issue is with the wiring. If it still won't boot it's a board problem and you'll have to figure out why the board things sw 53 is closed.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I picked up a NASCAR last week, my first Whitestar/Stern game. After a shop job I put in LEDs and an NVRAM. When I powered it on the game didn't boot, so I shut it off after about 10 seconds. I thought I smelled the slightest burning but couldn't see any evidence of it. After an investigation I realized I installed the NVRAM upside down. I flipped it to the proper orientation and the display now switches back and forth from NASCAR to SLAM TILT without booting. I put the original RAM back in and it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Did you turn on the machine between the shop job and inserting the LEDs?? If no you may have done something during the shop job and NOT actually damaged anything on the board.

#6 4 years ago

Ok I was able to get it booted up but now the cars in the hauler aren't spinning and several coils aren't firing including the slingshots. Did I blow a fuse somewhere? They all check out visually. Any ideas? Some of the coils do fire.

#7 4 years ago

Check fuses with a meter pulled from their holders. You cannot trust visual inspection.

#8 4 years ago

You sure fried your NV RAM. Make sure your original RAM is seated well and doesn’t have any legs that are bent out or under or broken off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-fry-my-nascar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.