• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3J7_(resized).JPG
Relay_(resized).JPG
sys7inside_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 8 years ago

I believe that's 3J7 for the general illumination relay AKA solenoid #11.

Without diving deep into it I can't tell you EXACTLY what would happen with it backwards but I actually don't think anything super major should occur since you'd simply just be switching the +34V and the solenoid ground across the GI relay coil which happens to be found ON the power supply board. Essentially this is a controlled 'solenoid #11 input' to the power driver board, not an input/output of raw power as one might fear.

The bonus here is the GI relay itself wouldn't really care since it's just driven by another DC coil. Worst case is you might damage the flyback diode or blow the solenoid fuse on the Power Supply due to a short thought the flyback diode, or worst case blow the GI relay transistor on the MPU since the blocking diode would be backwards and might be a better path to ground than through the relay coil. This would kinda depend on whether the GI relay is normally closed vs normally open operation. This I don't quite know but I presume it is normally closed as the GI circuit is on when the power is on regardless of any input front he MPU as far as I know. This would make the above flyback diode discussion only relevant when the GI is switched on and off by the MPU and would thus be irrelevant in your case since you can't even start a game.

I personally doubt this plug reversal has caused anything as major as your issues. It's likely in your fixes or somewhere else entirely imo.

3J7_(resized).JPG3J7_(resized).JPG
Relay_(resized).JPGRelay_(resized).JPG

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Whaaaaa? I thought HS was a Sys11? No wonder I was confrused.

It is. He's talking about the power supply. Not the MPU or coil drivers.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

So what we have here is testing the HS power supply in a sys7 test bed?

No there's nothing here regarding troubleshooting Sys 7. That's just the pic he used to show what board and plug he was talking about:

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Sorry, I'll get a pic from my machine later. I think you can see it here. (The pic I got was labeled sys7, but that's what my power driver board looks like).

All that era of Williams machines used similar looking power supplies, but it's Sys 11 through and through in this case (at least as far as this single connector goes).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-fry-my-high-speed-board?tu=Purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.