Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DocRotCod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hide_the_weed.gif
    Crazy-old-lady-on-Holy-in-the-Daily-20.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

So i've bought 8 or so pins in the last year, and feel like i've got a good grasp on what to look for and what to avoid.

I went and looked at a CFTBL and this guy had it at his mother's house. I start looking the pin over and proceed to remove the lockbar and remove the glass. The woman FREAKS OUT! Says "What are you doing!?!?" and I explained I wanted to look under the playfield and also look at the hologram enclosure. She said she had many people come look at the pin and nobody had wanted to do that.

Am I missing something here?

#2 10 years ago

Did she look like this?

Crazy-old-lady-on-Holy-in-the-Daily-20.jpgCrazy-old-lady-on-Holy-in-the-Daily-20.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Yep the mom doesn't know dic about pins and thought you were breaking it.

#4 10 years ago

surely you were opening it up so you could break it so nobody else could buy it

I've never heard of anyone reacting like that

#5 10 years ago

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being over cautious.

#6 10 years ago

Thats random, I guess maybe ask first? I bought a Hurricane off of a guy that had no idea how to open it and was blown away when I did.

#7 10 years ago

I would sure hate to see the acid leak on that CPU,If they have never lifted up the playfield then most likely they have never opened the backbox..

Or maybe that's were she stashes her cash or weed and forgot to take it out....

#8 10 years ago

Or maybe that's were she stashes her cash or weed and forgot to take it out....

Hmm...

Hide_the_weed.gifHide_the_weed.gif

#9 10 years ago

Hahaha!!!!

#10 10 years ago

Some great pins you have listed in your collection Doc.
    I don't see CFTBL listed, so did you decide to pass on that machine, or are you still considering it?

Did she end up letting you look it over inside & out as you wanted to, or did you just decide to back off when she had a hissy fit?

It is sorta awkward sometimes when an adult watches you open up a machine, lift the playfield, remove the backglass/translite, inspect boards inside the backbox, etc., and you can tell they never seen that done before, especially if they have a bit of an attitude going on.
    However, when kids are watching and are interested, then it's great to show them and talk about various parts and mechanisms.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thats random, I guess maybe ask first? I bought a Hurricane off of a guy that had no idea how to open it and was blown away when I did.

Same thing happened when I purchased my BOP. The previous owner was shocked to see what it looked like on the inside. lol.

#12 10 years ago

I passed on it. There were issues with the pin and he was a bit on the high side. The hologram was green but you couldn't make half of it out including the face due to damage on the top half.

Thanks for the comments!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-do-something-weird-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.