Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 7.45.15 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 4.09.04 PM (resized).png
IMG_4763 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4762 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4760 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

okay, moving along on my 3rd magnet project for my TZ. Was on a great roll until I think I might have messed up. I installed the magnet. I drilled the opto holes in the stainless steel ball guides. Then I screw in the first opto using the screws that were provided in the Pinbits kit.

Looked good. Then I noticed the metal part of the pole from the magnet was pushed down about an 1/8th of an inch. Sure enough I drilled into the magnet and screwed into it as well. That is why it was pushed down. The screws clearly are long enough to go into the magnet.

See pix....

With all of this said, should I assume the magnet is trashed at this point? Can't really tell the damage. With that said though. Isn't a magnet just wound up copper? Is it possible it would still work?

Sigh...

In hindsight I would never have done this 3rd magnet project on TZ. Simply isn't worth it (IMHO).

Dave

IMG_4760 (resized).jpegIMG_4760 (resized).jpegIMG_4761 (resized).jpegIMG_4761 (resized).jpegIMG_4762 (resized).jpegIMG_4762 (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

An electromagnet has a ferrite core. The magnetism is produced when an electrical current passes through what is essentially a coil around the ferrite core inducing the magnetism. If you only drilled into the core it is likely that it is still usable. Test for continuity of the coil wire. I have a variable output transformer so that I can test things without drawing current from the boards.
But probably safest to contact Pinbits and provide photos. I have always found them helpful.

Do you know how to contact them? Their website is down atm.

Here are pix of the tolerance I am working with. The playfield is about 1/4" where the magnet is below the optos. Not even sure with only 1/4" how much the optos would stay in there? Although, the pix for the pinbit kit seem to put the optos right over the magnet.

IMG_4763 (resized).jpegIMG_4763 (resized).jpegScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 4.09.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 4.09.04 PM (resized).png
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Did this install Years ago. Same kit. You only need short common 3/8 screws. An opt is hidden behind a steel rail so it doesn’t take much to secure it.

My worry is the amount of board that is left. Wondering if different remakes of the playfield had different amount of wood taken out. I am guessing there is only 3/16" of an inch at best left of the board from where they bored it out for the magnet. My former playfield has at least 1/4", so it is very different in that respect.

See this pic so you see what little board is left...
Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 7.45.15 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 7.45.15 PM (resized).png

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Did this install Years ago. Same kit. You only need short common 3/8 screws. An opt is hidden behind a steel rail so it doesn’t take much to secure it.

I took your advice and just dremeled off the ends of the screws I had used exactly to the width of the board. It worked fine. Thanks for the feedback/idea.

This has been a journey for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lebanon, NJ
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 22.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 79.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-destroy-my-new-magnet-?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.