Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

holygrail.jpg
    DSC03181.JPG
    DSC03180.JPG
    DSC03178.JPG
    DSC03186.JPG
    DSC03172.JPG
    DSC03171.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Hi guys, I'm looking to see how others would have handled this situation. I recently sold my TSPP to make room for a STTNG since I'm a widebody lover. The same day someone bought the TSPP I found my STTNG on craigslist. The deal couldn't have gone smoother. My son and I took a drive upstate and everything was as described and Steve was a great guy. Yay a craigslist happy ending. The wife asked if I was done now and I assured her that I was.
    After playing the new pin I decided that night that Judge Dredd was on its way out and I was going to save up for my grail pin,an IJ. Well the pinball universe was in sync and the next day I got a message from someone who recently picked up my BR and was looking for another pin. He bought the JD the next day! It took the rest of the week for STI to pick up JD but after 2 failed attempts they picked up on Saturday. My family had enough pinball for one week especially my 18 yr old whose been humping the pins in and out of the basement with me.
    The next morning I get up and the wife wants to go home depot. I tell her just a sec, and like a crackhead I check craigslist before we go. Holy S! there's an IJ listed for 4300 just 10 mins ago! I immediately respond and then waited all day long for a call while I was dragged around from store to store. At around 6 I get a call back and its a real ad! That's 2 ads in 2 weeks! The seller only wanted to deal in cash and understood that it was Sunday and we would have to wait for Monday.
    Here's where the question of what you would do comes in,(finally!) I can't find anyone to take a drive with me on Monday. All family and friends were busy! I call the seller and tell him I don't have a passenger to come help and he assured me the pin was right inside his front door and he could help me load it up. He didn't seem to eager to wait and reminded me of all the calls he received. I've gone to pick up pins by myself before but only projects for a few hundred bucks. My wife thought I was crazy bringing all that cash by myself. I told her I would call her as I was walking in the door and then she can call me in 30 mins.
    Well I have been one lucky pinhead because Devin turned out to be another straight up nice person! I was relieved to see when I arrived he had 5 small children running around. They all gathered round while he pointed everything out and I tested the machine out. He accepted just over 4 and we loaded her up. I sang along with the radio for 3 hrs on the way home! I couldn't get the smile off my face.
    The good: Works 100% Nice cab colors,only slight fade. Very clean inside of cab and the boards look great. DMD works 100%
    The bad: 4 screw holes in the playfield in between the pop bumpers?! The 3 drop target area has some wear that is cliffyable.The head decals have some marks on them. The fighter jet's tail fin is missing and the drop targets need a new set of decals. And last but not least 1 broken sling plastic.
    I will eventually tear everything down to shop and then I'll JBweld the 4 screw holes and spot clear em.
    So do you agree with the wife or did I choose wisely? Am I lucky to be alive or would you have trusted in your fellow man? How would you have handled it? DSC03178.JPGDSC03178.JPG DSC03180.JPGDSC03180.JPG DSC03181.JPGDSC03181.JPG

#2 11 years ago

That is funny. I picked up a STTNG yesterday. After a failed attempt to see the pin on Friday and several missed phone calls and emails. I was wondering about the CL add myself. My wife had me call when I got to the house. The house was at the end of a dead end narrow street with no turn around. She called me back 10 minutes after I got there to make sure I was ok. Our code was, I will call you back later if everything was ok. If I was in trouble, I would tell her I wanted chicken for dinner! Like you, my experience was a very good one and the seller was very nice. It is terrible that a few bad people make us worry about all the good ones.

#3 11 years ago

That's classic! I was supposed to tell her the car sounded funny on the way up if I thought it was going to go south. Congrats again on your awesome deal! That pin looks clean enough to eat off!

#4 11 years ago

Same to you, it looks like we both had a good week.

#5 11 years ago

good pickup, enjoy it. you chose wisely...

#6 11 years ago

Congrats!

holygrail.jpgholygrail.jpg

#7 11 years ago

You were fine, I live in the bay area and have used CL for all kinds of stuff. Just be smart about it. Keep money in the car, be aware of your surroundings, talk on the phone first try and get a good sense of them. If alarms go off in your head, don't go in.

#8 11 years ago

Congrats on your Grail Pin! A 3 hour car ride has never felt so good

Sounds like a fairly typical experience, I think you chose wisely. Gotta go with your gut and use common sense. If something doesn't feel right, there's probably a reason. Same vise versa.

Top Men.

#9 11 years ago

Now get cliffy protectors for the drop target area before that gets worse =)
    Not for the mode start hole though just makes it to difficult to make.

Excellent choice
    I don't think there was a bad choice here actually.

#10 11 years ago

From a random seller I would probably bring a mate or my old man to be honest when its that much cash. I get worried before picking up pins because I usually have to Withdraw my cash at a shopping Centre near my work thats in a rough neighborhood

#11 11 years ago

Any Pinsiders been coaxed to a secluded location on the promise of a $4k MM then mugged? This is the fear so I was just wondering how often it has happened?

#12 11 years ago

There was another thread about bad sales that had some guys have problems

#13 11 years ago

cliffyable

a new word to add to our pinside vocabulary.......LOL

#14 11 years ago

You have chosen wisely. But beware you cannot take the IJ past the sacret seal that is the price we pay for owning IJ and the price of immortality.

#15 11 years ago

I would have to vote poorly, as i'd be hard pressed to spend $4200 on a good game, more or less IJ.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Any Pinsiders been coaxed to a secluded location on the promise of a $4k MM then mugged? This is the fear so I was just wondering how often it has happened?

Exactly why I started this thread, should I have brought the full 4300 in a money order leaving no room to negotiate?

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would have to vote poorly, as i'd be hard pressed to spend $4200 on a good game, more or less IJ.

Yep that's my wife's take on all of this, 4k for a pin isn't a hobby,it's a problem!

#17 11 years ago

You lost me at " I recently sold my TSPP." Are you nuts???

Seriously, congrats... Sounds like you have positive "Pinball Karma".

#18 11 years ago

You chose wisely. Congrats.

#20 11 years ago

Congrats on the nice score. IJ was my 2nd pin (first DMD) and got me hooked on collecting. Sold it because of space issues back in 2000, but I recently picked up a nice one. Not nearly as clean as yours, but cleaned up well. BAA carries the apron decal set if you want to replace that missing one.

Scott.

#21 11 years ago

If you prefer the games you bought over the ones you sold, and have your family's blessing, then you chose wisely. You just need to make your family understand how difficult it is to find the pins you want in good condition, especially locally.

For me, my 'better half' likes antiques. So I used that as a comparison. If you find an antique you really like, you better buy it, as you might not ever find something like it again. Once she understood the nature of pinball she accepted it.

Since you put your family through a little stress, you might want to do something for them to thank them for putting up with your hobby. Take the wife out for dinner, take your son to an amusement park, or whatever. It will pay off greatly down the road.

Me personally, I would much rather have TSPP and Dredd than STTNG and IJ any day.

#22 11 years ago

I just couldn't really get into TSPP. I picked it up for the deep interactive rule set and I thought my kids would be drawn into pinball more but that didn't work. I didn't like the layout and flow of the game and eventually was worn down by the constant commands being thrown at you when you start stacking. I love wide bodies and some may think I'm crazy selling a BR to score a SI, but I love the latest STTNG and IJ and will never look back!

Gabe you're so right, the family is going to have a special day coming their way and I gave my son some $ to take out his girlfriend for a nice dinner.

#23 11 years ago

If you're worried about getting mugged. Buy a pistol and get a conceal and carry permit. Problem solved.

Congrats on a new pin. You chose wisely

#24 11 years ago

Another thing you could always do is check to see what banks are in the area and wait to get the money until after you've seen the pin. Would of course need to schedule a time to meet up during bank hours.

Luckily all my CL pinball dealings have been positive, and have made some super rad friends because of it.

#25 11 years ago

Congrats on the score and welcome to the IJ club. All of what you described of the bad (except for the screw holes) are typical of a previously routed IJ. You should be able to clean up and Mylar that pop bumper area, it's pretty much hidden as is.

#26 11 years ago

You did the right thing. Glad everything worked oft fine.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

If you're worried about getting mugged. Buy a pistol and get a conceal and carry permit. Problem solved.
    Congrats on a new pin. You chose wisely

This was my thought, but he lives in NY. Isn't NY the new California?

Regardless, back up never hurts.

#28 11 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-choose-poorly-or-wisely and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.