(Topic ID: 281553)

Did Gottlieb System 80b have a 2 prong or 3 prong power cord?

By ezatnova

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ezatnova
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Silly question, but I've never thought about it before... my Raven has a 2 prong (non grounded) power cord. I just got a manual and noticed it says to make sure you use a 3 prong grounded outlet. Just wondering if someone messed with the power cord long ago, and if that might not be a great thing to have a 2 prong plug on it!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Silly question, but I've never thought about it before... my Raven has a 2 prong (non grounded) power cord. I just got a manual and noticed it says to make sure you use a 3 prong grounded outlet. Just wondering if someone messed with the power cord long ago, and if that might not be a great thing to have a 2 prong plug on it!

It should have a 3 prong on it. Absolutely, I would change it. 80b’s have really bad grounding issues so you need that ground.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It should have a 3 prong on it. Absolutely, I would change it. 80b’s have really bad grounding issues so you need that ground.

Oh geez. That's what I was afraid of. Did all the grounding mods but the mother of all grounds isn't even there lol. I assume I can use any sort of normal gauge extension cord (~16 or so) and it should be able to work. I'll have to take a look...I think they patched this two prong all the way into the power supply!

Another stupid question, but anything I should be wary of touching in the power area of the machine, even after it's unplugged (like some kind of giant capacitor that will light me up if I'm working on this, even after I unplugged it)!?

Thanks!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Oh geez. That's what I was afraid of. Did all the grounding mods but the mother of all grounds isn't even there lol. I assume I can use any sort of normal gauge extension cord (~16 or so) and it should be able to work. I'll have to take a look...I think they patched this two prong all the way into the power supply!
Another stupid question, but anything I should be wary of touching in the power area of the machine, even after it's unplugged (like some kind of giant capacitor that will light me up if I'm working on this, even after I unplugged it)!?
Thanks!

I think system 80b’s have a big capacitor next to the power supply but as long as you aren’t touching it I think you’re fine. Personally, if it’s unplugged I’ve never worried about it. Dunno if anyone else has a suggestion for it. It shouldn’t be too bad to wire directly into the power supply.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I think system 80b’s have a big capacitor next to the power supply but as long as you aren’t touching it I think you’re fine. Personally, if it’s unplugged I’ve never worried about it. Dunno if anyone else has a suggestion for it. It shouldn’t be too bad to wire directly into the power supply.

Well, I found out what the deal is. The cord is CORRECT and has a ground wire in it. The problem is the round ground prong on the actual male plug is ripped out. Guess someone got lazy and didn’t have a three prong outlet LOL. Oh well, I’ll cut it and add a new plug on.

#6 3 years ago

I have replaced several of my cords with 16/3, 9 foot extension cord from Home Depot. Just cut off the female end and hardwired in. Nice new substantial grounded cord that also looks nice.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

. The cord is CORRECT and has a ground wire in it. The problem is the round ground prong on the actual male plug is ripped out.

Welcome to Stupid Operator Tricks 101.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Well, I found out what the deal is. The cord is CORRECT and has a ground wire in it. The problem is the round ground prong on the actual male plug is ripped out. Guess someone got lazy and didn’t have a three prong outlet LOL. Oh well, I’ll cut it and add a new plug on.

Yep, you'll need to replace it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Quoted from ReadyPO:

I have replaced several of my cords with 16/3, 9 foot extension cord from Home Depot. Just cut off the female end and hardwired in. Nice new substantial grounded cord that also looks nice.

Lowe’s sells plug whips with a free end that’s already stripped and tinned for you to solder to the power supply.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks all. Plug replaced with a new proper 3 prong!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-gottlieb-system-80b-have-a-2-prong-or-3-prong-power-cord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.