(Topic ID: 140142)

Did BBB cause the bubble on J-Pop & Predator?

By colorado_cabrio

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwo825
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Did BBB help create an "investment" environment around pinball projects?”

• Yup; we all saw the BBB guys get rich! 43 votes
    35%
  • Nope; rising prices across the hobby are the problem 28 votes
    23%
  • Neither; "investing" in pinball is as good as any stock-market play 8 votes
    7%
  • Screw This Thread! 44 votes
    36%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

allentown2002-geneandpoolplayer.jpg
illinois.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 8 years ago

I believe BBB and Tron LE are the two titles that created a collector frenzy. People will deny it, but what could be sweeter than buying a pin, playing it, then selling it for double in a year. That's a dream scenario.

As long as there is more demand than supply of a title, the price will climb. The issue now is this: with remakes and so many new pins on the horizon, it's really hard to see a title spike like either of those again. Premium pins have pretty much guaranteed Stern LE's won't spike.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Stern's quality control of their production pinball machines is TERRIBLE in comparison to most late model WMS/BLY SS, and even the Capcom and Gottlieb machines. The more LEs, they make the less the rest will be worth.
No pinball machine was designed to be operated for more than 5 years, but WMS/BLY machine keep right on ticking, while Stern machines fall apart.
Most of the 1990s machine continue to hold their own, and have aged well.
"Take care of your machines, and they will offer enjoyment for decades".
The problem really can be to able to find a proper technician to do the work, if you are not familiar with the component mounted circuit boards, electric theory, and journeyman level solder station work.
A pinball machine that does not work is a 300 lb doorstop. (You can quote me on this point).
Remakes of ANY WMS/BLY machines (or parts or playfields) still require the property rights as well.
Most of the Early WMS/BLY parts they do not raise much of a stink over too much, or negotiate quickly, but the late model machines are different.

I agree. Modern Stern's feel SOOO cheap and the price is going up. But that wasn't the question at all, so to keep this thread on topic, the question was about if BBB caused people to find the next "big" thing. Big as in a pin that will go up in price big. I am curious how a $16,000 magic girl would have faired. Would it shoot up to $20-$30,000 if only 13 existed. Who knows.

#28 8 years ago

Well considering the amount of people that gave $16,000 to Jpop (some more) I still believe there's a market for high end pins that's not tapped into. I'm talking 50 pins at like $20,000 each. Would have to be a true work of art and shoot amazingly well. John was on the right track but he started redesigning screws nobody would see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kaneda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-bbb-cause-the-bubble-on-j-pop-predator?tu=kaneda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.