(Topic ID: 140142)

Did BBB cause the bubble on J-Pop & Predator?

By colorado_cabrio

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwo825
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Did BBB help create an "investment" environment around pinball projects?”

• Yup; we all saw the BBB guys get rich! 43 votes
    35%
  • Nope; rising prices across the hobby are the problem 28 votes
    23%
  • Neither; "investing" in pinball is as good as any stock-market play 8 votes
    7%
  • Screw This Thread! 44 votes
    36%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

allentown2002-geneandpoolplayer.jpg
illinois.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Stern's quality control of their production pinball machines is TERRIBLE in comparison to most late model WMS/BLY SS, and even the Capcom and Gottlieb machines.

I know this is a month old, but...

If you ask operators who bought NIB machines 20 years ago and NIB machines today, they tend to tell the opposite story - that Stern for the most part out of the box is far better. The difference, as some will point out, is that the 20 year ago machines were either routed and trashed before they were sold to a person who knew it was a project, or were restored and play great because of it.

As for the question, I *sort* of think it was BBB that caused the bubble. Let's face it - the biggest reason that BBB is worth so much isn't for the rarity - if that was it, the Viza War that I have working out in the garage should be a gold mine and not worth the probably $200 or so that it is - but the story of it. Like him or hate him, essentially Gene wanted to write his own legacy, and he spent a ton of his own time and money to do so. When I heard him first announce that he would be taking pre-orders for the game (which he did at the 2004 Midwest Gaming Classic before he made it official), I fully believed that he could make these games show up in people's hands - it simply came down to he had enough money, willpower, and contacts that he could will it to life. And he, and about 20 other people who greatly helped him, did it.

I think that if we're going to point fingers at what caused the bubble, it would be more along the lines of Tron LE suddenly being worth extreme amounts of money. After a lot of people saw how that played out, it allowed other limited runs to be potentially worth so much money, and the marketplace exploded for them, with people throwing money at whatever they could. BBB was a point that they could look back at and think that success of the projects was inevitable, and feel more comfortable with their investment.

Without BBB, I think we still would have had a similar explosion of stuff, but I also think that it would have been a bit less than what we ended up having. Also, the years since Tron LE have been at least somewhat sobering with the releases of LEs now being seen like a huge crapshoot - on one side, you have games like ACDC that it has clearly worked for, on the other side you have games like WrestleMania, Mustang and Transformers that it hasn't. All of which, by the way, I think are solid games - but apparently weren't exactly what people are looking for.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

"Its going to be the next Big Bang Bar".

Nothing will be. The entire story, start to finish, leaves BBB in a unique spot in history all it's own.

I feel like there are only basically two things that could ever be "like", but if they were made they would be produced in quantity and would thus be rather different - those two things are Wizard Blocks and KingPin.

No other games have the prior-to-production history and profile that BBB had, which changes it all up.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If Pro Pinball Timeshock! ever materializes beyond a prototype and goes into production, the pinball world will change again.
It HAS the best potential to be the next BBB.
I can justify this point.
Why?
It has ALL the necessarily design and game elements to eclipse games like TZ, IJ:TPA, or many others in depth.

That's the thing though - BBB was NEVER about the depth of the gameplay. BBB is worth so much because of the Capcom closing and their decision to not manufacture it, followed by the IPB story of how it was manufactured. While Timeshock! has been out for years digitally, it was not began as a project expecting it to be real.

Having it would be a cool story, but it still wouldn't match what BBB is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-bbb-cause-the-bubble-on-j-pop-predator?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.