(Topic ID: 140142)

Did BBB cause the bubble on J-Pop & Predator?

By colorado_cabrio

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwo825
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Did BBB help create an "investment" environment around pinball projects?”

• Yup; we all saw the BBB guys get rich! 43 votes
    35%
  • Nope; rising prices across the hobby are the problem 28 votes
    23%
  • Neither; "investing" in pinball is as good as any stock-market play 8 votes
    7%
  • Screw This Thread! 44 votes
    36%

(123 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

allentown2002-geneandpoolplayer.jpg
illinois.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

There were a few of us that were privy to what happened during the years of BBB production. My logic going into it was "Why would a Millionaire rip me off". The price was high at the time - $4500.00, but it was something I could afford in multiple payments. I was lucky enough that Gene and Kim trusted me to act as a spokesperson for the project with the buyers. It had to be kept secret because outside forces (like Wayne) were working to derail the project. Gene had made his share of enemies over the years and more than a few wanted to see him fail. I thought it was important to both document the process and to get information to the buyers so I did some interviews with Gene and company and released videos exclusively to the buyers during the process. It was reported to Williams that a coil spool with a Williams part number was being used in BBB. This was true and it slowed production for months while Gene found out that the supplier had put the number on it as a convenience, not because Williams requested it. Gene's original BBB had the number on it as well. I went on to put together a documentary about the whole process and we sold them through the Pinball Hall of Fame. After the project was done, I felt like something was missing. The secret forum was going dead and the fun was out of it in some way for me. I thought I would never sell the game. It was beautiful, it was fun to play, and it was sexy. Reality set in and I found I could pay off my truck and buy 3 other games with the money from just the one so it went. I never thought of it as an investment but I knew it would never loose money. I agree with others that this was unique in the manufacture because a complete BOM (that needed tweaking) was already in place and a sample game was at hand for reference. I have been working on a "Partially from scratch" project of my own and I can tell you, it's a LOT to consider. I don't know the specifics, but it seems that the people who have failed us lately got in WAY over their heads. How they decided to handle the situation is the problem. I do see the pre-order model from unknown entities as a thing of the past.

What crap

I bought 5 BBB from gene and had money in the project, why would I derail it

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Al Warner is a well respected member of the pinball community and a Big Bang Bar historian. His reputation is impeachable. Your reputation on the other hand is deception, uncontrollable anger and the failed MM - CC - Crock Hunter projects.
To answer your question directly I can only guess.
Gene Cunningham was a well know difficult man to do business with. Back when you were attempting to remake MM, Gene owned a portion of the B/W license and you the other portion. A conflict arose between the two of you. Possible you couldn't make certain parts without his permission....
You with your famous temper may have done it out of spite. Or revenge.
Anyway, my guess.

It was me that told Williams I didn't mind him using the Williams coil bobbin tooling, it was Williams who told him he couldn't use Williams tooling in BBB, as I stated I bought 5 games maybe you should look at people gene shafted and promised games to and didn't receive. Just correcting the facts for history

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

As Mr.68 said, tensions between Gene and Wayne (random names - not anyone in particular) were high, at least that's how one of the two random named persons described it. As Mr 68 described, there was a competing project and bad blood between these (fictitious??!?) persons. It's entirely possible that the 2nd party was upset that large amounts of side art were destroyed because they hadn't secured 3rd party rights. I know I would be pretty mad. And magically, when the bobbin incident happened, removal from the BBB forum also happened. These are random events that may or may not have happened. I'm probably making it all up as has been suggested to me in a PM. I still wonder how Williams found out about that bobbin...

Ask Cassandra about that, ipb never paid her any money for the license like most ipb claimed they had but didn't. , also we shipped them 2nds, I really don't know what the deal was on bobbins, if they really thought it was me they would have done more than kick one of 2 accounts we had on the BBB forum.

I am not taking anything away from genes achievement of bbb

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ballypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-bbb-cause-the-bubble-on-j-pop-predator?tu=ballypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.