B0B090E3-EA29-4272-A60D-A451D3A07C6D (resized).jpeg
lunar (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0401 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0400 (resized).jpg
LAU0memMZTyVGJMlkbpGE3gqI6aenPOfvZI89yn1DzE (resized).jpg
image-6 (resized).jpg
skyline (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

The reason for asking is that I saw this beautiful pic of a Sky Line and there doesnt appear to be any signs of webbing on it.
Is this a repaint - or a original one ?

I'm about to repaint my Ice Revue upcoming summer. I would love to keep it original, but i'ts badly scratched and has a lot of (swedish) profanities carved into it .
I'm leaning towards doing a close to original paint job with webbing, unless you guys say that there were some wedgeheads that didnt have it ?

Thanks in advance/ P
skyline (resized).jpgskyline (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Looks like a repaint. To my knowledge, they all either had webbing or the "flecking" (black speckles) in the backround. If you see one without it, it's a repaint. On closer inspection, I THINK I can see VERY faint webbing on that one up near the top. Some is heavier than others -- both on the originals and, obviously, when folks repaint them.

#3 4 years ago

Someone here said the splatter paint was to cover up fly fecal material. I like them without it in a nice gloss.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinasco:I'm about to repaint my Ice Revue upcoming summer. I would love to keep it original, but i'ts badly scratched and has a lot of (swedish) profanities carved into it .
I'm leaning towards doing a close to original paint job with webbing,

Look no further than ipdb for an Ice Revue that looks like it might very well still be be sporting the original paint.

image-6 (resized).jpgimage-6 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

That's a repaint. The lines on the graphics are sharper than they would have been on a factory job. There was usually overspray present on a factory paint job and there would be spatter or webbing?

Fly fecal material? Now I think I've heard it all. It was in reality to break up the expanse of white and also helped mask cabinet flaws. The factory wasn't nearly as particular about the paint jobs as we are.

#6 4 years ago

LAU0memMZTyVGJMlkbpGE3gqI6aenPOfvZI89yn1DzE (resized).jpgLAU0memMZTyVGJMlkbpGE3gqI6aenPOfvZI89yn1DzE (resized).jpg

Someone here said the splatter paint was to cover up fly fecal material. I like them without it in a nice gloss.

#7 4 years ago

Im pretty sure they all had webbing or speckling. Speckling could e black ,silver or red, maybe more and it could be single colors specks or a combination of colors. All the repaints I've done I did specks because all the repaints I've seen where they redid webbing? Well I'm not too bad with the specks so they all get specks.
Heck if I can do specks without them looking terrible and ANY attempt at webbing has failed I figger, my specks, my games.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for Your answers. I've got a pretty good picture on how to go forward with the paint job. I will try to replicate the webbing as close as possible. I've seen there are some good tutorials out here on the forum and on youtube.

This is what my I.R looks like today. And even if some people think I should let it stay "original" - this beat up shape really bothers me cosmetically. If I were to purchase a Hit the Deck or Buccaneer, I would gladly pay 3-500 extra USD to get a nice looking one, instead of a beaten one. But maybe thats just me
thumbnail_IMG_0400 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0400 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0401 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0401 (resized).jpg

#9 4 years ago

What is that interesting game to tbe right of Sky Line?

#10 4 years ago

Sega Lunar Rescue.

Another reason to be a little envious towards You americans . All cool coin-op toys are actually possible to track down there overseas.....
lunar (resized).jpglunar (resized).jpg

#11 4 years ago

That looks like a fun , challenging game. Thanks!

#12 4 years ago

It’s my understanding Gottlieb used splatter paint on Add-A-Ball machines instead of webbing. In my opinion it’s an easier process using a speckling tool, I’ve seen some horrible webbing results from aerosol cans. I recently did this cab using a specking brush.

B0B090E3-EA29-4272-A60D-A451D3A07C6D (resized).jpegB0B090E3-EA29-4272-A60D-A451D3A07C6D (resized).jpeg
#13 4 years ago

In the case of "King Pin"/"Pin-Up", there was a considerable period of time between their release dates.
I don't know if being the add-a-ball version was necessarily the reason for the variation, probably just because spatter was becoming more prevalent by the time "Pin-Up" was being manufactured.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-all-wedgeheads-by-glb-have-webbing-in-the-background-paint- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.