(Topic ID: 49437)

Did all Gottlieb System 3 have Interlock switches?

By NiftyLED

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matrix.jpg
serials.jpg
dmd.JPG
disconnect.JPG
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rancegt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 10 years ago

I think it's important to work on one problem at a time. I would ignore the sound and the DMD for the moment and work on your switches.

It looks as though you've installed a known good CPU board, so I would start with the switch problems and the switch matrix, which is part of your driver board. I have a System 3 manual, but not for this game. Take a look at your switch matrix and see if the problem switches all share either a strobe or a return. If they do, are there any switches on that strobe/return that work properly all of the time?

#39 10 years ago

I think that the "Playboard" is sometimes referred to as A9. When I compare this to the switch matrix for Stargate, all the pins and strobes line up on the connector for A3J3, which is the driver board so I think that's where it goes eventually.

On the bottom of the playfield, your strobe line basically daisy chains from one switch to the next. Because your problem is intermittent, I would suggest checking all of the solder joints along that line. Wiggle each wire a little as though you want it to come loose. If it's a proper solder job it won't, but don't yank just wiggle. The strobes originate at the CPU. Because you've already changed that out, I see this as a likely wiring problem.

As viperrwk already mentioned, the strobe 1 line is also driving a series of lamps. Check your lamp matrix and make a note of which ones. Do a test and ensure that they're working properly. When you notice that your switches aren't working, check to see if the lamps stop working too. If the problem is shared between lamps and switches, we can focus on the parts of the system which they share.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If these lamps are also out, the problem is Q34 on the A3 driver board. If these lamps are good, there's a wiring problem on the playfield for the switches. Follow rancegt's direction on chasing that down.
viperrwk

Oops. It looks like I read the schematic wrong. The timing for the strobe comes from the CPU, but the individual strobes are from the Driver Board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rancegt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-all-gottlieb-system-3-have-interlock-switches?tu=rancegt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.